Help With Pregnant Stray Cat and Kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! He was extremely fussy tonight! He ate at 8pm and usually is back asleep right away. This time he fussed for over an hour. He wasn’t hungry, he ate almost 5ml. His little tummy was full and he turned away from the nipple. I tried laying him down awake but he got more upset. I held him and the only thing that finally made him happy was me wrapping him up like a burrito, putting him against my chest and stroking his head. Is this normal, or something wrong?

I’m sorry for so many questions and concerns. I’ve had kittens inside since they were two days old but mom was with them. The youngest litter I’ve had was 5-6 weeks old

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww, now that his eyes are open he is becoming more alert and aware, and he wants attention, and to be held and cuddled and made to feel safe and loved. Were he with his mom and litter mates, he would get all of that. Kittens are social animals and he does not want to be alone.

You’re becoming “mom” to him and he expects mothering from you! Enjoy being his “person” — he probably already knows your voice and your smell.

He’s such a little creamsicle cutie! Orange kitties have very sweet personalities. Have you fallen in love with him yet?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you! He was extremely fussy tonight! He ate at 8pm and usually is back asleep right away. This time he fussed for over an hour. He wasn’t hungry, he ate almost 5ml. His little tummy was full and he turned away from the nipple. I tried laying him down awake but he got more upset. I held him and the only thing that finally made him happy was me wrapping him up like a burrito, putting him against my chest and stroking his head. Is this normal, or something wrong?

I’m sorry for so many questions and concerns. I’ve had kittens inside since they were two days old but mom was with them. The youngest litter I’ve had was 5-6 weeks old
I agree with SArthur... That said; there MAY be another possibility... Some gases... They may need some help to adjust the situation inside.
The position you mentioned is common in burping... Similiar with human babies, especielly when they get bottle / are handfeed.
Many handfeed kittens do not need burping, but some do.

IF you notice he has much gases / belly pains, a good remedy is simethicone; the same as for human babies with colic.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the cute photos. Maybe you should call him burrito. :)

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all! I’m honored to be his person🥰 I definitely didn’t plan for n keeping any of this litter. I’ve already kept two litters from others, but he definitely changed my mind. I’m extremely attached to him! He’ll even it out at number 20🤪 All moms and dads are outside cats, and all fixed! I tried hard to get them inside but they won’t have it. One male comes inside most days to sleep then gone all night. I thought he would change once he was neutered but he didn’t. Lol He also still sprays. So, his room is the utility room inside the house.

Mom cat is walking around, eating very little but drinking great. She’s getting antsy being inside so I know she’s starting to feel better. Spayed kitten is slowly improving.She’s eating and drinking, not her norm though. She’s just still extremely tired and sleeps way more than she used to.

Now baby, I’m wondering if he’s constipated. He hasn’t went poo yet today and yesterday was only once and not a lot. His belly seems a little larger before eating too. He definitely loves being held and snuggled. I’m beyond exhausted being up all night then being mom to my kids all day. It’s worth it but I’ll appreciate sleep when I get it again. Lol
I started him on the ready to feed formula then switched to the powder. Could that be the problem? I’ll switch back to the other. How much of the gas drops to I give him also? Anything I can do for constipation besides small drop of olive oil in his milk?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you all! I’m honored to be his person🥰 I definitely didn’t plan for n keeping any of this litter. I’ve already kept two litters from others, but he definitely changed my mind. I’m extremely attached to him! He’ll even it out at number 20🤪 All moms and dads are outside cats, and all fixed! I tried hard to get them inside but they won’t have it. One male comes inside most days to sleep then gone all night. I thought he would change once he was neutered but he didn’t. Lol He also still sprays. So, his room is the utility room inside the house.

Mom cat is walking around, eating very little but drinking great. She’s getting antsy being inside so I know she’s starting to feel better. Spayed kitten is slowly improving.She’s eating and drinking, not her norm though. She’s just still extremely tired and sleeps way more than she used to.

Now baby, I’m wondering if he’s constipated. He hasn’t went poo yet today and yesterday was only once and not a lot. His belly seems a little larger before eating too. He definitely loves being held and snuggled. I’m beyond exhausted being up all night then being mom to my kids all day. It’s worth it but I’ll appreciate sleep when I get it again. Lol
I started him on the ready to feed formula then switched to the powder. Could that be the problem? I’ll switch back to the other. How much of the gas drops to I give him also? Anything I can do for constipation besides small drop of olive oil in his milk?
I will write more later, Im in a little hurry now. Unless someone else answers.
This tiny kittens dont need much simethicone, 2-3 drops at a time.

Yes cats are no machines, so they may react individually to different kmr...
Normally is the powdered kmr more reliable, but for some works the ready made just fine...
Goats milk, or goat milk based kmr is usually fine...

Although one forumite reported, her goat based powdered kmr made by PetAg, was difficult to solve completely; there were clumps...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Powder is best — just increase the drops of oil. He will adjust. Or use 1/2 powdered formula and 1/2 pre-mixed.

In the meantime, shave off a kitten-sized sliver from a glycerin suppository and insert. This will usually bring on a poop in 20-30 minutes with stimulation.

Try to get a nap in somewhere if you can — kitten care is exhausting and especially on top of childcare. It’s not forever — in a couple of weeks he’ll only need to eat every 4 hours; then perhaps you can also go a 6-hour stretch overnight. It’s the first 3 weeks that are most difficult.

K Kellbell5

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got both, gas drops and suppositories. I gave him a couple drops of gas medicine but no luck with the suppository. I did an extremely small amount and I couldn’t get it in. I also did half and half of the formula.

How does it work with letting other cats mother the baby? Obviously not for milk but just snuggles. Is that a good or bad thing to do?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How does it work with letting other cats mother the baby? Obviously not for milk but just snuggles. Is that a good or bad thing to do?
If it works so it works... Ie if you have a willing cat or little dog. It is quite often a male cat!

Its not always advisable, if its a found kitten and you wish to quarantine it; but this kitten is your own, so if you have a willing foster, go for it.

Ps. I see you got more advices while I was away. good.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try the glycerin suppository again. The correct-sized piece will go in. Glycerin is very soft and will not harm the kitten, so if the constipation is bad, give the suppository a go again. Make sure it’s a tiny sliver with a point on it. It will be fine.

What other cat or cats are you thinking of putting baby with for comfort? It could work if it’s the right cat. Keep us posted!

Last edited:

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He finally went poo! I got the suppository in, he was not happy. He strained to go but finally was able to. Compared to what his was looking like this was harder, still not actually hard though. He got a full belly, was so exhausted and is sleeping great.

Mom finally got up and sat in my lap for the first time in a week 🥰

I was thinking of one of the kittens, they’re fixing to turn 7 months. One of the girls has showed a lot of interest when she hears him cry. She’s never hissed or anything negative like the majority of all the other girls. She’s always been extremely low energy and a sweetheart. You’re right about males being nicer. The girls will walk by me when I’m holding or feeding him and hiss. The boys just look and walk away pretty much. Lol

Attachments

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Definitely try the female kitten who has shown interest. Supervise, of course, but see how it goes and let us know. He’ll surely need a snuggle buddy once he’s out of the nest.

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Definitely try the female kitten who has shown interest. Supervise, of course, but see how it goes and let us know. He’ll surely need a snuggle buddy once he’s out of the nest.
She did so good and he loved it! She has such natural motherly instincts, she was precious with him. The only thing she wasn’t sure about was when he tried to nurse. I just moved him and she was fine. If he started getting too far from her she would pull him back

Attachments

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another question, sorry for so many🤦🏻‍♀️ Today baby has been more sleepy. He had another poo this morning, it was a lot more than yesterday. He’s still eating great! I usually have to hold him for a long time to go to sleep before I lay him down. Today he’s been going to sleep more on his own. He usually wakes up very vocal, today much quieter. He still wakes up easily, just not feisty like his normal. Does he just feel better after finally being able to poo everything out, or something wrong?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like he feels better, and is having a quiet, sleepy day.

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he feels better, and is having a quiet, sleepy day.
Thank you! I’ve been so worried all day. I’m sure I sound like a crazy person with so many questions and wanting him to cry more🤦🏻‍♀️ He just seems calmer and more content I guess. He’s gained same the last 24 hours so that’s good. Is it normal for bottle fed babies to do that? Is he just gets used to things more?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, normal. He’s gaining well, sleeping well. Crying less, getting groomed by another cat — he’s a little prince! All his needs are met and he’s happy and healthy! Just what we want in a kitten. :redheartpump:

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Help!!! Momma cat’s incision is open😭 She hasn’t wanted me to go near her stomach and I didn’t want to upset her. I was able to check it until yesterday. I finally got a glimpse and it’s open. There’s no blood or puss coming from it. It’s just open with a white layer behind it. I can’t afford an emergency vet right now after all costs last week and lately with other pets. Will she be okay until Monday? Anything I should do?