Help with pregnant kitty

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know the difficulty of getting started helping these kitties out. I would be more than happy to share some of the things that have worked for me. I started with a small craft booth at one of our local bars, they have a rummage type sale every month and have expanded to some shows that I have found on Facebook. Start by calling some of the local bars and ask if they will hold bottle caps for you. This is the main part of my booth, more on that in a sec. We have even had a few of them offer to set up a small display after I told them what I was doing. Then get on FB and look for local craft shows. High Schools and Churches do them regularly for fundraising. Sometimes you have to donate a small gift, and I try not to pay more then 10-20 for the booth space.

Now for the crafts.

I do three things that cost very little per unit and have sold really well.
Bottle Cap Magnets, Pins or Pendants
I found these stickers on Amazon that are 1 in cir and they fit perfect in a cap:
Printed pictures/old comic books (Which you can get in back issue for really cheap at comic stores, never pay more then a couple bucks for these), Newspaper, wrapping paper or anything with a printed pattern that will stick.

I stick the circle on and then cut around it, then glue it into the bottle cap. You can use hot glue or E6000 (an adhesive available at Walmart, get the bigger bottle from the craft section, it's cheaper for some reason)

Then you can glue on a magnet (I also use amazon for these, but they are cheap at Walmart too), a pin backing (Walmart) or bend a small section of wire and glue it on the back for a pendant.
These I sell $2 each, 3 for $5 or 7 for 10.

The other thing I have had a lot of success with is bottle cap flowers. Think Redneck yard decorations. :p
I glue them together in different patterns, sometimes I sort into brands like Budweiser, Coors light etc.. other times I spray paint them bright colors, or Christmas colors in the winter. I usually use 8-15 caps in a flower and glue them together with the same E6000 from before. This is the biggest money maker for me. The caps are free, a can of spray paint is 4 bucks at Walmart and I can make 40 flowers or so with a large tube of glue. I do these $4 each or 3 for $10. I've done some with hand painted lettering or in local sports team colors too. You can really let your imagination run wild with these. With these I've even had some people custom order in their favorite colors.

The last thing I do with seed bombs. These are fun and cheap and sell really well too, Just remember to label them.. the first few months no one knew what they were!
For these you just need a pack of paper confetti and wildflower seeds, both from the dollar store.

Soak the confetti in water for 5-10 minutes and let it get really mushy, then add the seeds and stir well. You can then form them into small balls, smash them into heart molds or mini cupcake tins, just be sure to get out as much of the water as possible when you mold them. I use paper towels and my weight pressed down on them. I package these 3 to a bag and sell them for a buck. They have done really well this spring.

At most shows you don't need a fancy tent or anything, I started on a card table and purchased a 6 footer recently for $30 at Walmart. Don't be afraid to start small.

I also printed some pictures of the kitties I currently have in foster and attached them to a cardboard display board from the dollar store. This brings people in and starts some really good conversations, some even end in adoptions!

I have a couple other things that I am working on... but haven't quite perfected. I have 8 bars saving caps for me now, 4 with small displays and have made an average of about $200/mo with just two craft shows and those.. with maybe $50 in expenses including rental fees. The months before Christmas were really good selling months.

Sorry for the book. Let me know if you have any other questions or I can help with anything!

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ah, I forgot something.

I also meant to say that some of the people that come out to these do cupcakes and cookies and things on a table. As long as you know there will be a crowd they always do well. My heart does break for them on the slow sales, I can always bring the same flowers over and over again, but they have to make new yummy stuff. :-/ Just another idea to keep just in case.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a farmers market here every summer, starts in May and runs through October. You can set up a tabele and sell anything you want. I bake homemade bread and sell it along with my veggies. I'm always sold out. I have even used frozen bread dough when I ran out of time, and people raved about it. You can get wheat, and different kinds. People sell homemade gifts, planters (get some cheap plastic pots and put on a picture of your kitties, spray with clear protective coating.) Put up a sign asking foronations towards litter, food etc. along with some pictures, you'll get a lot. Post pictures of those you are trying to find homes for. I make a couple of thousand dollars each summer, the space is free here, and I'm sold out in three to four hours just one day a week. It pays for my water!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
911 EMERGENCY! anyone know about baby squirrels?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Squirrel picture for us when you get a chance! :)

Last edited:

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
20180405_180423.jpg
this was him while he was still alive. Poor baby rip

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ceeedge Ceeedge di and bob di and bob thank u both for the ideas! Farmers markets are open on Sunday I hope, do I have to pay for space or just set up and go? I actually just learned a couple days ago how to make castille liquid soap, I thought about selling that if I can make it again. Sorry kinda drab now as we just lost a squirrel. With my job we work most Saturdays during the nice months but I believe things go on on Sunday as well so I'll try then. Has anyone tried posting to sell on Facebook?

Mr Mooney was about to get a new home but now he's on meds for urinary tract disorder (peeing blood). Hopefully it clears up well and he can still go. Breaks my heart but he really does need his own home as Merlin is such a butt to him.

Ray and sunshine (the new boys) got into a fight with each other. They love each other usually so idk what happened but they were fine later. I think they really want out of the room but I don' know cause they are still not the best with where they potty all the time.

Katniss is constipated again. Gave lactulose 3 times, a suppository and still not a thing. Bout to give her a warm water enema and if nothing happens she gets squeezed the crap out of. Ugh, such an ordeal especially now that she's big!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poor Katniss! Do you put oil in her food?

Do you let the boys out each day for a spell? It may help their dispositions!

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, I haven't been, now I might. They're all free range eaters so I have to do the bunch. I switched from a kitten to a grain free and I believe that's what happened.

I haven't been letting them out bcz of all the others everywhere but perhaps I should. They are really loving and all to each other and myself. Great big boys! Sunshine still has zero hair on the bottom of his back legs (like where they sit I guess u could say). Pretty weird to me. He runs at me in a full hiss to fat tick my leg and get love though, so he's anything but normal.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Maybe go back to the kitten food since it was working.

Those boys need to come out and enlarge their environment, at least part of the time. It will do them good!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try selling on Facebook, it's free and doesn't hurt to have more exposure. At the Farmer's Market go there and talk mto someone already set up, they can help you find out if it costs, etc. or point you in the right direction. Have a big. bold, colorful sign to catch people's eyes.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, so for sake of cutting this short, we r moving in a hurry and I really need a place for a couple weeks for all the animals to stay. Any ideas? I thought of taking them to a family members house but we would have to put them in the shop (barn I guess) so I thought of maybe making them a pen with their stuff in it (cat trees ect) but would that make them crazy? It's really nice here so the heat and cold isn't really a factor but I just hate to put them in a pen. It will be roughly 2 weeks before the actual structure is built for them to be able to go into for good. We are buying time where we r but I'm afraid that the person who I was buying from will try and go in and say I abandoned them if I'm at work and take them. So worried and confused right now as to what to do.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m confused. So you are moving to a new home?

Your choice is to put them in a barn at family’s property or build a pen where?

Will they be living in your new home with you in 2 weeks’ time like they do now?

A little more clarification needed so I can help you think this through.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes we are being forced to move by the person I was purchasing the property we were in from. I'm afraid he's going to try to call the city and say that I have abandoned then while I'm at work being he only gave us a 10 day eviction notice. I do not know if it's worth risking leaving them during the day alone as this guy is not very nice. I would like to just stay until the court eviction or until our new place is complete however the structure itself should be built and approximately two weeks so they can go then and all of us stay in there. Until then we can either stay where we are and just hope that he doesn't come in or try to have the police open the house while I'm gone. Where we are moving a family member has a pole barn so to speak the only reason I don't want to just take them and turn them loose is because it has window openings that have yet to recovered so the cats could easily find their way out. I could possibly build a pen inside of it 2 let them stay in made of chicken wire so they aren't so confined and put all their boxes and trees in and can't get out of the building. I can also do some large kennel cages if needed but I hate to confine them like that. Pappy no matter where we go will be confined for probably a few weeks after our move since he is not progressing well with people. The move here is permanent as it will be paid for and the land is paid for and owned by family. So we just need to make it by until the structure is where the kitties can go free and not get out and that's when even myself will be staying there. We will have all utilities next door but mine will be on in a matter of days once we get the building up so that's not a worry. Weather is nice here so it won't be below 50 at night and around 70 during the day. I thought about cages inside an r.v. that I was offered to stay in (I can't risk them ruining it being there are so many). I'm at a total loss as this was I thought not a concern until Friday when the guy changed what he originally arranged. Now I'm just done deali ng with him but I'm afraid he will try something stupid if I'm not home and the babies are.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my, I’m so sorry. I agree that it is not safe leaving your pets while you are at work.

Can you put at least some of them at your mom’s while you build the pen?

Then stay in the RV with the rest of them temporarily?

Sort of a half and half situation? Check on and feed and clean up after them all daily while pen is built for now?

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I will have to ask her. She's got 2 cats and 2 dogs of her own so she will be reluctant. I can't risk them being taken. I can likely build the pen today so they will be in it tonight. I hate them being so open like that I guess but they will be inside. I guess to me they are vunerable even though most of them used to live outside. The plan originally was for me to stay with them here until it got built but I'm sooooo worried about them that my heart might explode. I'm moving 45 minutes away from my mom (I'll be back everyday for work) so maybe she will maybe keep 1 or something. The dogs r going to be bad enough being they will have chains outside and inside kennel (what they have now when they go out, but no free roam house) I feel bad for all of them but we really have to figure this out. So a live in pen that's inside but not temp regulated should work for awhile? I thought about like a small shed with a window but they are costly for the space but it would be enclosed. Idk, either way bob and katniss are wherever I am, and pappy back into a large cage for his own sake and Mr Mooney as well in a separate cage (they pick on him, so he needs to be monitored if he is in that small of an area with everyone for his protection). Once these few weeks are over we will have a bigger space though that I designed, and a friend might be able to get some real kennels for their room for the dogs (instead of wore cages) and a few permanent for the new cats. It will be nice but we have to make it there as a family first. Would dispersing them in cages to people I know be a bad idea if I can find some people willing to help? Hate the idea of them locked up though. This is so stressful. The good news is we r going to the country so if we do build this pen it will eventually be attached to the window of the house to where they can go in and out! Excited for the coming changes once we get there finally.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am concerned about them being moved from living in a house to living in cages in a pen for more than a few days. They will be very confused as to what is going on.

Where will you be staying? Why are you being evicted with a ten-day notice?

I’m confused as to how long it will be before you and all your pets are reunited together under one roof?

If you have friends and family who have a spare room and are willing to feed, scoop poop, and care for certain of your dogs and cats for a little while, it might be better to rehome them temporarily with them until you are in your own place that can accommodate everyone.

How far into the ten days are you? Your landlord should not come in until the 10 days are up. The court would frown upon that.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry it took so long to reply. It was a LONG day yesterday. So the kitties are in an r.v. of their own that isn't nice, but it's indoor and somewhere they can live. Popped the windows for them for now, might put a fan in there if they need but for now it's nice. It does have a.c. if needed. It's not the most ideal situation however I can go in there anytime and see them all. They're talking the building should be completely enclosed by Monday or Wednesday so hopefully it's a little over a week before they can move into it. As soon as the structure is built then they can go in while we put the walls in. And they will have the entire open space to roam around so it might be pretty enjoyable for them. I'm just glad everyone is able to stay with me and is safe and sound. I don't know what was with mr. Moon yesterday I think it had them all flustered that we were moving everything because he ran and hid and wouldn't come out after I was trying to get him out of the basement forever. I finally did get him thankfully because it was extremely late and we needed to get going. I think it had Edna flustered to because she went up into the fireplace apparently because there was nowhere else for her to lay since everything was already gone. Edna is the best though, she laid on the cat bed the entire time we were moving with the doors open while everybody else had to be locked up she did get up one time and walk outside to go to the bathroom I went after her and she went potty in the backyard of the neighbors and I picked her up and brought her it back in and she laid right when I put her and didn't move again. I think she may end up being able to be an indoor outdoor cat. I do want to build them and enclosure that way everyone can have free roam of inside and outside at all times without the worries. They are for sure getting an in the wall cat tree across the whole house so I no longer have to have cat trees it's going to be great!