Help with Possible Stray Cat

DizzyAvocado

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, everyone! I'm new to the forum and have a question for those of you who deal with stray cats on the regular. I had a female (i think) cat come up to my back door about a week ago and she has not left. I have a male indoor cat and I believe she was in heat due to the constant meowing and rubbing against the door. My question is how do I care for a stray and how do I know she doesn't belong to someone in the neighborhood? She doesn't look sickly or even that thin. Any advice is appreciated as I don't want to unintentionally "steal" someone's cat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and Welcome! To start off with, make flyers with her pic and place them around your neighborhood asking if she belongs to anyone. If you're comfortable with approaching your neighbors, I would do that as well to ask about her directly. You can also place notices on Lost & Found pet sites, as well as Next Door Neighbor web site, to see if you would get any responses that way. You could consider taking her to your vet to be scanned for a microchip. If they scan her, they may also be able to tell you if she has been spayed. There is a very good possibility she might have been abandoned.

If you don't have a room in your home that you could place her in - away from your cat (which would be the best option) - then do the best you can to set up a 'home' for her outside. Covered area for protection from rain (and, snow if applicable), making sure she can get to water and food with ease - as long as you are not worried about it bringing in other animals to your yard. If you have space, you could set up a litter box for her as well. Make sure to spend time with her so that she stays with you - that is in case you either hear from someone that she belongs to them or since it appears you would like to make her a part of your home eventually if she is not claimed.

Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DizzyAvocado

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, I was thinking flyers since I don't know my neighbors well at all. I just assumed she/he may have been someone's pet since I'm in a small southern town and most people let their pets run loose, but I don't mind keeping the cat if she's been abandoned. My cat is vaccinated but is there anything she could have that could transfer to him? That's been a big concern of mine.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Take the cat to the vet before any interaction with your cat and ask for the FeLV test and discuss anything else with the vet that could be a concern...worming, fleas, etc. If your cat is vaccinated, he should be okay.