Help with paraplegic cat

Para2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! I take care of a paraplegic cat. He's 3 years old, and his back legs are not functional since the first days of his life. I started using gabapentin to control some seizure-like moments he had, where he would attack one of the legs in a way that almost looked like convulsions. He started with 100mg once a day, but two years later he is taking 300mg twice a day. The simptoms are controlled, but I can't help wonder if there's side effects that over time will hinder his well being... What's your take on this? Any alternatives? I've noticed that when he is off the medicine he's starting to become more nervous, even a little agressive, and he has always been a very docile cat... Thank you in advance for your support!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, welcome!
If you haven't already, you might consider getting an xray to try and see if there is something going on, arthritis, bone on bone etc. that could be causing him bad pain, --which could explain the changed behavior as well :vibes::hugs:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Depending on exactly what is causing the inability to use the back legs, there is some possibility that they do have sensation or feeling in them. If that is the case, he may feel tingling or nerve related sensations which cause the attacking of the legs. Does your vet feel that they could work with you on reducing the dosage to the lowest possible which still gives the cat comfort? Or you have already tried this?
Depending on whom you ask or what you read, gabapentin is either considered extremely safe or somewhat problematic in certain areas like heart rate.

My previous dog was on it permanently for at least 3 or 4 years as he advanced well into old age and we did not experience complications.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Gabapentin is used to treat pain caused by certain nervous system conditions, as well as to prevent seizures, and has since expanded use to chronic pain. I agree with the above, that it might be the former issue with your cat that is served so well by Gabapentin, due to nerve damage/pain sensations.

I also agree with the above in terms of the varying perceptions of long-term use of Gabapentin. But I also am not familiar with another type of med that is any 'safer'. And, of course, there is no med out there that doesn't note some cautions with their use.

After talking with your vet about what they think the cause is behind Gabapentin's effectiveness with your cat, you might ask about acupuncture - which could help enable you to reduce the amount of Gabapentin that your cat is currently taking. Acupuncture can actually help with all of the conditions Gabapentin is used for.

This is a very recent article by a vet that talks about safety and efficacy, among other related things. I offer this because it is current enough - even if it is only one vet's opinion - to suggest Gabapentin seems to be relatively safe for cats to take long-term. There are other similar articles by other vets who mostly say the same thing.
Gabapentin for Cats: Our Vet Explains Uses, FAQs and Potential Side Effects | Pet Keen

EDIT: Gabapentin should not be stopped abruptly especially in cases that are potentially seizure related - although I suspect this would also apply somewhat across the board. The change you see in your cat when he is taken off the med might be related to this aspect.

Last edited: