Help With Odd Kitten Health Issues-bloated Stomach, No Worms Or Constipation

Mandar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A week ago we adopted a pair of 2 month old kittens. They were also altered a week ago. The male was initially mildly playful and moved around normally, however 2 days ago he began primarily sleeping through the day. My vet is on medical leave until next week and the other vet we saw seemed puzzled.
The kitten is still eating normally, a dry diet. Drinks water well and drinks a lot. Uses the litter box properly with soft poop. He is responsive and gets up for food, water, or bathroom on his own but otherwise is content sleeping. Has a little weakness in his hind legs as of yesterday and is a little waddle like when he walks (though this might just be from the roundness of his tummy). Has been treated for worms and parasites, also has no signs of them in his stools. Stomach is bloated but soft, like pressing on an inflated balloon. He is not bothered by his stomach being touched or pressed on. Mom was tested for felv/fiv with negative results. His sister, however, is entirely fine.
Does anyone have any experience with this?
I've been reading through forums and websites for nearly 6 hours and am just looking for some better outlet to guide us toward a solution.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Any diarrhea or gassy noises or anything like that? How about upper respiratory issues? When you mentioned weakness in his hind legs, I thought of Calicivirus, but that doesn't really explain the swollen tummy.

Did they run a bloodtest before the neutering? Do you have the results? I'm hesitant to even mention the word, but everytime we hear swollen stomach and lethargy these days, FIP comes up, and when you say he was only initially mildly playful, this just doesn't seem normal for a young kitten :sigh:. There is no definitive test for FIP, but there are some clues in the bloodwork, so I would have the Vet look at it and see what they think, unless they've already ruled that out (hopefully).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mandar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any diarrhea or gassy noises or anything like that? How about upper respiratory issues? When you mentioned weakness in his hind legs, I thought of Calicivirus, but that doesn't really explain the swollen tummy.

Did they run a bloodtest before the neutering? Do you have the results? I'm hesitant to even mention the word, but everytime we hear swollen stomach and lethargy these days, FIP comes up, and when you say he was only initially mildly playful, this just doesn't seem normal for a young kitten :sigh:. There is no definitive test for FIP, but there are some clues in the bloodwork, so I would have the Vet look at it and see what they think, unless they've already ruled that out (hopefully).

No gas or diarrhea, no ur issues, we did figure out that the leg issue seems to be due to the bloated stomach. He is a real small guy and getting his legs around the bloated tummy is hard on him. I'm not sure about bloodwork before the neuter but a copy wasn't provided to me if they did it. He did see the vet yesterday and she is running a fecal test just to be sure. Fip is my concern but with him still eating and doing most other normal things were just not sold on it being fip yet. Although he's not interested in playing, he is alert and responsive.

I started him on a low dose of milk of magnesia the day before yesterday and it made a slight improvement. Bloating went down slightly and he seemed more active by a bit. So we're continuing with that for now and waiting for the fecal test results.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Did the vet do an ultrasound or barium test? Sometimes bloating in cats can be caused by a blockage, a tumor, or a deformed GI tract. Maybe this could also be caused by some food intolerance.

You can always go to another vet, to get a second opinion.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
a week ago he was fine? Change of food? Do you have kids (kids playing with kittens...)?

What does *altered* mean? neutered?