Help with newly adopted deaf kitties

barlynn08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I was hoping somone can help me. I just recently adopted two kitties.  They are about a year old.  Feral cats that were found in a dumpster.  They are both female and deaf.

We pickedf them up on Saturday from the shelter and this past Sunday they started meowing so loud, it was unbelievable!  I don't understand why they are doing it.  We wil be petting them, they will suddenly jump away and start yowling at the top of their lungs!  They are so loud and we live in a condo with neighbors on both sides!

I just don't understand why they are doing it.  I really want to give these cats a good home, but I'm afraid if they keep it up. we are going to get evicted.  I was up all last night tyring to calm and assure them.  The would seem fine then run off and start yelling.

When we are petting them, they purr, so it's not like they dont' like that.  They've been eating and using the box, it's just the incredibly loud wailing they are doing.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated!!

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome!!

My first question---are they spayed?  Could they both be in heat and howling to find themselves a boyfriend??  Trying to "call up" a handsome tomcat???  Just my first thought!!

If they are, or you see a tiny belly scar, I don't know an answer to give you, I'm hoping someone else will hop in, because I'm curious as well.  My senior cat went deaf several years ago.  It began as just hard of hearing, as in it would take a loud hand clap, or me yelling his name, to wake him up.  Now I have to touch him.  I can even vacuum around him while he is asleep, and as long as I don't bump him or whatever he is lying on he is fine.

Anyhow...he does the same.  He has two kitty housemates who can hear and are very vocal on their own, but he will almost screech at times.  He will be off in a back bedroom by himself somewhere and raise the dead howling until one of us (usually one of the other cats) goes running to see if something is wrong.  I purchased Feliway plugins when we were integrating our second cat, and he went nuts howling at the plug-in diffuser.  LOUDLY.  Thank goodness we live in a house on 4 acres, and we still wonder if the neighbors hear him
  The other night we were sitting in the den and he started howling from the back of the house, the WOOWWWRRR?? howl, almost like a question.  One cat took off flying to the back to find him and check on him (usually they go lick his head or just hang out with him when he does it), and beat me back there, but when I got back there he was sitting on the dresser looking in the mirror at himself.  I've also ran to see if he is being skinned alive or something, only to find him sitting in the floor giving me the "Whut???" look.

He is loud anytime he tries to communicate now--which isn't often, at least as far as vocal communications with us.  He used to be very vocal.  Now it is just the crazy, random howling.  He still purrs, of course, but no trills or pwuurrrps like he used to.

It's unsettling to us because he sounds either afraid or in pain when he does it.  But when I go check on him he just looks at me like I'm the one that is crazy.

Maybe you would have some luck with the Feliway diffusers or Feliway spray.  It is supposed to be calming...but my old deaf guy became obsessed with the plug-in thing.  I've read some awesome outcomes to various scenarios on here due to those diffusers.

But if they aren't spayed....this may be the root of your problem.  Do they show any signs of being in heat? 

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your kitties are frightened & upset because they are someplace new. This is understandable. Since they are deaf they cannot hear what a racket they are making. I'm sure things will calm down soon. My Harry came back from being neutered & cried for a solid week. And this was a kitten I had never heard cry before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

barlynn08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are both spayed. I feel that they've been through so much in such a short time, it probably is due to stress. People have been telling me a week. Fingers crossed!

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for opening your home up to these girls [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

My instinct is, as others have suggested, that they are overwhelmed and scared due to all the changes. I did find a TCS article on deaf cats which may have some insight as well a tips:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-deaf-cat

In terms of helping the girls settle in, a Feliway diffuser might help them feel calmer and more secure.

Good luck and please keep us posted on how you and the girls are doing [emoji]128522[/emoji]