Help with new living situation

redloki4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently moved and bought my boy Loki into a household of 3 cats and a dog. As sweet and affectionate he is towards people, he's the exact opposite with animals where he's aggressive and territorial. The best thing I could do is make my bedroom his sanctuary. The other cats can be easily separated from him, but the dog's (a Great Dane mix who's much too big to keep inside to begin with) the main issue. I've tried hard to explain to everyone else the introduction process between a cat and a dog, and they refuse to do it with this mentality that they'll just adjust to each other the more they're around one another. I'm at an honest loss and I'm afraid that I have to eventually consider rehoming Loki, all because of refused cooperation.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, how is Loki doing when he's in your bedroom? Why not just leave that as his sanctuary, --give him as much as you can with the space you have in there such as cat trees, shelving, plus cat music, and ease your stress about the situation.

He'll feel better when you feel better. A calming diffuser (feliway, Comfort Zone, Thundershirt) may also help so that the scent of the dog isn't causing him to be upset.

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) – TheCatSite Articles

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Loki can absolutely live in your bedroom with a few adjustments. If things settle down, Loki decides to make friends, the dog is calm and behaved, then you can make changes.

I have owned dogs with cats my entire life and the burden of behavior is on the dog, especially a large breed dog. No, they won't just work it out if no one tries to control and train the dog.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

redloki4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the responses, guys. I really appreciate them. The dog thankfully behaves well around cats (she was apparently raised up from a puppy around them). It's more or less about Loki being stressed over strange animals, which may have me consider calming diffusers in the near future. I may just have him able to roam freely at night when the other animals are asleep/kept away on the other end of the house in the mean time.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its quite possible that your friends are right. Time does amazing work. Of course, you really haven't told us much about what is going on, and even if the dog is generally good with cats, responding when provoked is potentially another matter. If your cat was to swat him, who knows? A great dane is probably a better bet than a more active and agile mid-size breed, but obviously if he was caught wrong by a swipe with nails out the possibility is there. I don't know if it would be a good idea to allow mingling, but I don't dismiss it out of hand without more info.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

redloki4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: After being away from home for a week due to personal circumstances, I'm happy to say that Loki is now getting along with his canine sister. The others decided to take it into their hands while I was gone and allow him to roam around the house with the dog around, which turned out better than expected. He still hisses now and then if she tries to invade his personal space, but isn't acting aggressive/territorial compared towards the other cats. I'm very proud of my boy