Help With My 5 Week Old Kitten

Fuzziebutt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As the title says, I have a 5-6 week old kitten. I feed him 1/2 can (5.5oz) of wet food every morning, and by lunch, he thinks he's starving. He has dry food and water available, but am I right in sticking to my guns and only feeding him this half can once a day, or should I give him the other half late in the afternoon? I don't want a fat cat!!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At 5 weeks old, I would feed him as much as he can eat He's much too young to limit his food intake yet. Are you also giving him kitten replacement milk? He's awfully young yet even to be away from his mama :frown:.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fuzziebutt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No milk, I am new to young kittens. I took pity on this sad face (as he did mine) at a yard sale this past weekend. I live in a small town, can I use canned milk for him?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Lactose free milk, or goats milk. Not sure if canned milk falls into the lactose free milk or not, sorry. Also, make sure whatever food you are feeding is for "all stages" or kitten food. Some will say "adult cats". It's probably ok, but the "all stages" is better, and kitten is best (supposedly), but I don't think I've ever seen it in 5.5 oz cans.

Also, since you are new to kittens, maybe this article will help you out: Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips

Plus, NO clumping litter yet. Kittens will sometimes eat the litter, and if it's clumping it can cause blockages. So stick to the non-clumping for the time being.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, you will not have a fat cat, kittens need to EAT, a lot, and at least 4-5 times a day.
Canned milk, i think I've read it's not helpful, but there are recipes to make kitten replacement milk also called kitten formula, and also for kitten glop on the internet

Fuzziebutt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had thought of goats milk, but didn't want to sound like more of an idiot! Thank y'all so much!!

Fuzziebutt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Augustus is somewhere around 5-6 weeks old, and he and I have fleas. I have tried the Dawn bath for him, But never saw any come off, and it really traumatized him. I used the last drop of skin-so-soft I had and rubbed him down, and that helped until it wore off. Is he too young for Frontline? Am I too old for Frontline?? HELP!!!!

Fuzziebutt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have some ordered, but it will be next week before it comes in. Meowwww

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He can have .04 mL of Advantage II on the back of his neck. It’s the kitten dose.

You can bathe him in the sink in warm (not hot) water with blue Dawn. Dry him well with a towel warmed in the dryer.

Get some flea house spray. It will kill adult fleas, eggs, and larvae. It can be found at PetSmart. Spray once and again in a week.

Wash all bedding in hot water.

Fuzziebutt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!!! I was just about to post that I was gonna try the Frontline tomorrow, and its great to know the dosage! I treated the living room before we came to bed, so in the morning, ill use the Frontline on him in there!

Fuzziebutt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!! I had just about decided to try the Frontline, and now that I have a dosage, that's great! Thank you again!

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Is that you biting his ear in the photo? Very cute. Please post more photos of him if you can.

Fuzziebutt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes that is me being silly, it just looks like I'm biting him. He is doing great now. He is thriving, he is into everything, toes are not safe and we both are flea free! Here are some kitty selfies, because he's jealous of the phone!
20180620_201043.jpg
20180620_201043.jpg

Attachments

Fuzziebutt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Augustus McCrae has turned into the future king of my household jungle, and my living room looks like a drunk toddler lives here. How do I stop him from biting? Now that his little teeth are getting sharp, I keep to put a stop to this. I have an AAAACK noise that I make that keeps him off the table, or out of trouble, but biting seems to be fun. If I thump his nose, he wants to bite my finger. With the air conditioner on, I would hate to spray water in his face because he is still small enough a collar with a bell is too big. I don't want to chill him! What do I do???

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is a phase that he will outgrow, but in the meantime try hissing at him. This is what his mom would do, and he will understand it, but it may take repeated hissing.

No nose thumping and no water spraying.

Fuzziebutt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, thank you!! I didn't like thumping that sweet face anyway...