Help with kitten!

Hiddenorchestra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 8 week old kitten hasn't been eating or playing as usual and is sleeping all day. This has been going on for 4 days so far since he took the dewormer (he vomited once and it had worms). He has stinky diarrhea but I haven't seen any worms in it.

I have to literally force him to eat and he manages to eat the equivalent of a tablespoon of wet food per day. Yesterday I took him to the emergency vet clinic because I was so concerned and the vet said it's probably because he's passing the dead worms so he's nauseous. She gave him an anti nausea injection, that was supposed to help him eat, he barely ate anything today, didn't play and slept all day. I am at my wits end and have been crying all day. I will take him to his vet tomorrow but they will probably tell me the same thing.

Did anyone have a similar experience before? How can I get him to eat? (I tried every trick in the book, he can't stand any type of food or cat milk).

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What de-wormer was he given? He may be having a reaction to the medicine, or he may still have worms and need more medicine.

Not eating is a clear sign that he’s not feeling well though. I’m wondering if he has fever. The smelly diarrhea may indicate he may need metronidazole to clear intestinal bacterial infection.

See that the vet gives him some sub-q fluids and buy jars of Gerber turkey baby food. Kittens usually love it.

Let us know what the vet says!

H Hiddenorchestra

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hiddenorchestra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What de-wormer was he given? He may be having a reaction to the medicine, or he may still have worms and need more medicine.

Not eating is a clear sign that he’s not feeling well though. I’m wondering if he has fever. The smelly diarrhea may indicate he may need metronidazole to clear intestinal bacterial infection.

See that the vet gives him some sub-q fluids and buy jars of Gerber turkey baby food. Kittens usually love it.

Let us know what the vet says!

H Hiddenorchestra
He was given 1 Milbemax pill. The emergency clinic's vet said his temperature was fine along with everything else - just his gastrointestinal issues and the worms. She did give him fluids and prescribe Metronidazole, but to be honest I haven't started him on it just yet. I didn't feel he could handle it as he's not eating and feels weak. I will go for a second opinion on that tomorrow from his vet.

I just had him try a new brand of wet food and he ate about a tablespoon. I am happy about that but still worried to be honest. Will report tomorrow. Thanks for your reply!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Milbemax is supposed to be safe and relatively mild.

Can you get goats milk? Its often an useful alternative. Raw goats milk if you can get, otherwise most full fat goats milks are OK (no funny low fat diet variations)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hiddenorchestra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's doing better now! I had him admitted for a few hours at the vet and they force fed him GI friendly wet food and gave him a stronger probiotic. I had to give him Metronidazole and force fed him some more when we got home which made him pissed, but this morning he's doing much better. He's eating again and playing...phew! They got a fecal sample at vets and they're gonna test for worms and Giardia. I am just happy he's back to his normal self again!