Help with kitten & older cats coexisting?

Kristylc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!

I’m new here today but am in need of some advice - I will try to be as short as possible.

We adopted a male kitten at the end of September 2020, and are still having major issues getting him to live in harmony with his new sisters — we have 3 additional cats who are all 9+ years old — 1 of the older girls tolerates him well, but the other 2 are always stalking him and attacking him. There have been chases and loud fights, but they have been completely separated since about December. I understand that introduction can be a long and difficult process, but it seems like we’re always moving back to square 1.

The male kitten, named Calvin, came to us extremely skittish, but has improved drastically, and he is in hyper play mode 99% of the time, which off-puts the others who are also a bit skittish, but very relaxed and sleepy most of the time. I worry that their personality differences might be too much if Calvin doesn’t learn to settle down.
We currently have him and the 2 girls that fight separated by a pet gate. We have them eat meals together and play between the gate, at least until someone hisses or charges the gate — then we drape a blanket over it and separate them.

I understand that the eating process is important to them getting comfortable with each other, but my main concern comes with how Calvin interacts with CC, the cat that tolerates him. They will occasionally play with one another; however, most of the time, if CC is out in the open, Calvin will run up to her and tackle her. CC hisses and raises her paw at him, asking him to stop. Most of the time, though, he continues to go after her until we have to physically separate them. He often looks at her with airplane ears and sort of puffs out his chest at her before attacking, which makes me wonder if he is trying to dominate (all cats in the house are spayed/neutered, I should add). I fear that even if the feeding process with the other 2 cats eventually gets them comfortable enough to remove the barrier, Calvin will treat them the same way and get himself hurt, even if he is just trying to play.
Is there any way to teach him not to go after CC like this? We play with him a ton already, but when he is really zeroed in on tackling CC, he will not go after other toys. What should we do?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, there is no way to teach a what, 6-8 (?) month old kitten not to play with an older cat unless the older cat itself does so physically, and that ship has already sailed. Its totally routine for them to not take no for an answer. A product of their age. It will get better, eventually, and slowly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kristylc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, there is no way to teach a what, 6-8 (?) month old kitten not to play with an older cat unless the older cat itself does so physically, and that ship has already sailed. Its totally routine for them to not take no for an answer. A product of their age. It will get better, eventually, and slowly.
ok, I figured so. Calvin is about 7 months at this point. The aggressiveness worries me because the CC has no front claws (she was adopted this way, unfortunately) so she can’t very firmly discipline him if she is being bothered. I just wondered if there were better ways to discourage it, he’s not very good at acknowledging when we tell him no lol

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If CC seems to be doing OK otherwise, and doesn't seem to be overly stressed by Calvin, it might be a matter of letting CC beat the crap out of him - NOT literally. I mean let her bat at him and hiss, but certainly don't let it rise to hair flying or biting (since she doesn't have front claws). Ditto, if he takes his claws to her. She is trying to teach him cat manners, which means if she is successful, Calvin will be much more mindful when the other 2 cats are fully introduced as time goes on.

The other thing you can do, if you feel that things are getting out of control, or that CC seems stressed, is to pick Calvin up and hiss at him, then give him a time out for just a minute or two, then let him out but don't dote on him, just ignore him for a bit. But, for this to be successful, you have to do the same thing each and every time, for as many times as it takes.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other thing you can do, if you feel that things are getting out of control, or that CC seems stressed, is to pick Calvin up and hiss at him, then give him a time out for just a minute or two, then let him out but don't dote on him, just ignore him for a bit. But, for this to be successful, you have to do the same thing each and every time, for as many times as it takes.
Has this worked for you? I never really tried when I had similar issues, for fear of scaring the older cat, and also out of the belief that you cant teach a kitten not to play. I have to admit I never considered picking up the kitten to "target" the message.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has this worked for you? I never really tried when I had similar issues, for fear of scaring the older cat, and also out of the belief that you cant teach a kitten not to play. I have to admit I never considered picking up the kitten to "target" the message.
Not sure what you mean by "scaring the older cat"? That is the purpose of picking up the kitten - 'targeting' - before hissing so that is not even remotely directed at the older cat. This is only necessary when/if things get out of control - as in the older cat becoming overly-stressed, or the kitten starting to fight, rather than play, with the older cat. Some older cats just can't, or don't know how to, properly defend themselves. At that point, the human has to become the mama cat. Does that make sense?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure what you mean by "scaring the older cat"? That is the purpose of picking up the kitten - 'targeting' - before hissing so that is not even remotely directed at the older cat. This is only necessary when/if things get out of control - as in the older cat becoming overly-stressed, or the kitten starting to fight, rather than play, with the older cat. Some older cats just can't, or don't know how to, properly defend themselves. At that point, the human has to become the mama cat. Does that make sense?
Sure. I get the concept. I meant it never occurred to me to pick up the kitten, except maybe for separation. Without that, you can't target the reprimand to the kitten only, and my accidentally scare the adult. So I get it, its a reasonable try. Wondering if its worked for you. Previously, I've only seen a rare post or two claiming that they managed to train a kitten not to play with an older cat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wondering if its worked for you. Previously, I've only seen a rare post or two claiming that they managed to train a kitten not to play with an older cat.
I have seen it work with a couple of friends of mine and their cats - have not personally done it because I have only had one cat at a time. This kitten is 7 months old; old enough to learn things from humans especially if there are no other cats around to teach them. It is worth a try anyway!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is worth a try anyway!
I'm still a little skeptical since trying to play with another cat is such a natural function, but trying does sound reasonable, as long as the kitten is properly bonded to the humans first. If I could go back in time and try it, I would, since I had two older cats with this issue at different points with different kittens, and in both instances some issues lasted for years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kristylc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. If CC seems to be doing OK otherwise, and doesn't seem to be overly stressed by Calvin, it might be a matter of letting CC beat the crap out of him - NOT literally. I mean let her bat at him and hiss, but certainly don't let it rise to hair flying or biting (since she doesn't have front claws). Ditto, if he takes his claws to her. She is trying to teach him cat manners, which means if she is successful, Calvin will be much more mindful when the other 2 cats are fully introduced as time goes on.

Thank you so much for your feedback! I don’t think it’s to the point of stressing CC out. Thankfully she’s a very passive soul when it comes to dealing with other cats. It sounds like time will work it out eventually, but I’ll definitely keep the picking up and targeting in mind in case things start to go sour