Help with fighting cats.

newfosterparent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As you know, I'd rescued a couple of feral cats and the one, the female is very friendly.

However, shortly after getting my male cat Fluffy neutered, he and Braylie scrap it out daily.

I discovered that Fluffy is the instigator, but I don't know why.

It was suggested to try spraying both of them with perfume, on the neck and base of the tail, but that doesn't work. When I first tried with Fluffy, he tried to run off.

I read a suggesting of scruffing, and did try that with Fluffy. Once I let him go, he turned tail and ran.

From other's experiences, a slow introduction would have saved this hassle, but before Fluffy was neutered, he wasn't as aggressive towards her.

Braylie isn't spayed yet, I will be doing that next month, but in the mean time, I need options.

The common suggestion is to spay her, but I don't have the funds yet for this, and I don't have the time for this as of yet.

I've also read that spaying may not make a difference. Fluffy is the aggressor, but they both go at each other pretty good.

At the moment, I lock her in our bedroom when we're not home or if we're in the living room, and Fluffy has free reign of the house as he's always had.

I have a spray bottle and will use it, but by the time I get there, I've chased Fluffy away and I'm not sure if I should use it after the fight has broken up.

The other day, they fought under the dining room table. The fur flew big time, and one of them peed on the floor.

I can't take it, I don't know what to do besides what I'm doing or will try.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lose the spray bottle, all it does is make them upset with or scared of you. Continue to keep Braylie in the bedroom when you're not home. To break up a fight, throw a towel over them or make a really loud noise - bang two pans together.

Create as much vertical space in your home as possible.

Cats don't live in a democracy, and you need to reinforce the role of whichever one is the alpha/the winner/the aggressor, not try to discipline or change the hierarchy they're working out.

If Fluffy is the alpha, or usually wins, I'd feed Fluffy first. Give Fluffy attention first. Give him more play time and more attention than Braylie. (Give her play and attention during "alone time" in your room). Play with Fluffy first. Feed Fluffy up on something so he's higher than Braylie, and put his food down first. When they fight and you have to break it up, don't reward him with treats or anything, but tell him how proud you are that he's THE MAN. Do everything you can to reinforce his position, to make him #1 in your eyes in his eyes (if that makes sense), and this should help calm him down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newfosterparent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fluffy already knows that he's the alpha cat. He always gets more attention from me, he always has.

He sleeps with me at night, Braylie is always under the bed.

The 2 of them free feed, Fluffy has his food in another room, but does eat out of her bowl as well.

Whenever I hear them fighting in there, I charge in the room yelling. Fluffy will slink away while Braylie continues hiding out under the bed.

This is so frustrating.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, you said you tried scruffing Fluffy, which wouldn't be something to reinforce his position as alpha.

Instead of dabbing them with perfume, try using real vanilla extract instead. You don't need a lot, just a little - under the chin, behind the ears, at the base of the tail. Keep the vanilla and a paper towel handy. When you're petting Fluffy, pause a moment, put a folded paper towel up to the vanilla, get the paper towel damp, resume petting Fluffy, and just kind of... slip dabbing him with the vanilla in there with the pets.

Same for Braylie.

I know finances are tight - but are you already using Feliway?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newfosterparent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bought one years ago and probably still have the diffuser, but don't know where it is.

Pet Valu sells a calming formula that I've put in their water to see if that helps.

It never helped Tiger, but then again, he's so wild, pretty much nothing helps him.

I had read that scruffing the aggressor was supposed to teach them that it was wrong to fight, and so far, even though I only did it once, it did help.

Fluffy is lying beside me sleeping on the couch.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old are they? Do you think the female is in heat? Even though he's neutered now, he might still be trying "something" and she might be rebuffing his advances, and that would cause a fight. Cat "courtship" is pretty rough. Hopefully it'll all work out after she's spayed. . .hormones do complicate cat relationships just terribly.

jinxywinx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

How old are they? Do you think the female is in heat? Even though he's neutered now, he might still be trying "something" and she might be rebuffing his advances, and that would cause a fight. Cat "courtship" is pretty rough. Hopefully it'll all work out after she's spayed. . .hormones do complicate cat relationships just terribly.
I agree with this for sure. Vivi is neutered, but still goes after Neko (who is not spayed). Hormones can do crazy things to cats. However, I know what it's like to be strapped for cash.
So, I would definitely take LDG's advice and hit up the vanilla.