Help with Feral Mama Cat and Kittens?

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I dont know if I’m posting this in the right forum but I need help/advice regarding a feral cat who has had her second litter in our yard. She had her first litter in our yard back in April (3 kittens) which I’ve brought inside and am in the process of getting them their shots and will then get them spayed/neutered. I already have 9 other indoor cats to care for. I’m not able to care for more cats/kittens who will end up having even more litters. Who can I contact who will trap the mother and her kittens when they are old enough to spay and neuter them? I live in eastern MA and have no idea who to contact. I’m retired and can’t afford to pay for them to get fixed.
I’ve emailed a local habitat volunteer and have not received any response.....help. I’d like to find a place that would trap/ spay and return to our area since this is a familiar place for them. I wouldn’t want them to be killed

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Animal Rescue League of Boston offers TNR services. Is that near you??
ARL serves community cats through our Community Cats Rescue Agent and our Community Cat Volunteer Squad, providing Trap – Neuter – Return services. Please call (617) 426-9170 then press “1″ for Rescue Services.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for caring....You might contact your local shelter or vets to see if they have a live trap to loan out. Tractor supply and Orschelns have them on sale for around 25.00 too. It would be WAY cheaper to at least catch mama and have her spayed then to feed 100 cats. Even before spaying any of the kittens. That would give you time to see if someone would help with the kittens. Just make sure you mark any carrier with Feral Cat - BITES! so someone doesn't reach in and get bit. Maybe a farm would take the males even if they aren't fixed. It's not ideal, but better than letting a shelter utanize them....

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Babypaws !

We've had other folks posting about the same kind of thing and some have said that the shelters are too busy/too full to help. Most of the time, though, those are the most well-known ones in their areas.

There are usually many organizations that most people simply don't know about. I'm talking about other smaller ones that operate below most folks' 'radar'. Try Googling exactly this: "cat rescue in (your city) Massachusetts". I suspect you'll find lots of smaller groups that you can approach.

Now, one more point. Finding one that's available and willing to help will likely take your time, persistence and patience. There's a member here who was faced with more than 100 stray and feral cats on and around her property - here's what she (Jcatbird) recently wrote to a person just like you who needed advice:
"As for rescues, I don’t know where you are but I live in a place that refused cats long before covid. Persistence in every thing you do with cats pays off. Repetition...in calling, texting, emailing and asking everyone, “if you can’t help me, do you know someone else I can try?” I was at my wits end at first. Over a hundred cats and kittens needed emergency help. I had no idea of how to get help. I was so very frustrated but kept bugging every good rescue group and kept searching for new ones. I even called out of state. It worked! It took time but it finally paid off! Many dozens found great homes. I also found groups that helped with spays and neuters..."​
There's one more thing you could consider which might set you apart from other requests for help: IF you genuinely have the time and motivation, offer some of your time and effort to help with their work...."BTW, are you folks looking for any volunteers to help out...?" If I were in an overworked rescue/shelter, that would perk my ears ! - and, you'd likely move to the top of my to-do list.

These organizations will have humane traps and most will lend them out, allowing you to do the trapping.

OK - keep us posted !

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Alley Cat Allies who are in Maryland, I think, have a group of volunteers called Feral Friends Network. You put your contact info and submit online. Supposedly they have lots of people locally all over who can give advice or help in some way.

I do have to say that when I have used them, I was never recontacted by anyone, and I was only looking for advice, not physical rescue. But it only take a couple of minutes and someone might reply to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks to everyone for the info. As of today I haven’t seen the kittens so I’m thinking they’re probably still very young. I don’t see the mother cat everyday, when I do it’s when she sits by our back door to be fed. When I put food out she keeps her distance and when she’s done I always pick up the dish, I certainly don’t want to attract “more” cats in the neighborhood.
I will start looking into the info given now so I know who I can rely on once the kittens are old enough to be separated from mommy (at least why she gets spayed)and hopefully returned to my area.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ARL serves community cats through our Community Cats Rescue Agent and our Community Cat Volunteer Squad, providing Trap – Neuter – Return services. Please call (617) 426-9170 then press “1″ for Rescue Services.
I’m not sure if they would service my area, I think I live too far but I did call the number and left a message, hopefully they will contact me.

thank you for the info.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Don't hesitate to ask for leads even if a group is out of your area. Most rescue people know someone who knows someone sort of thing.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you, thank you. I called the # you gave this morning and left a message, they called me back a little while ago. They actually come out to my area so I need to get the mother and kittens on a feeding schedule and then call them back to setup a time when they can come out. They told me they would spay the mother and see if she could be socialized into an indoor cat to be adopted or put in a foster home, if not and she’s too stressed they would return her to my yard. I told them I would gladly take her back and take care of her in our yard, I just hope this place won’t euthanasia her or the kittens.
I’ll let you know how I make out, I do feel a little relieved...thanks again

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, thank you. I called the # you gave this morning and left a message, they called me back a little while ago. They actually come out to my area so I need to get the mother and kittens on a feeding schedule and then call them back to setup a time when they can come out. They told me they would spay the mother and see if she could be socialized into an indoor cat to be adopted or put in a foster home, if not and she’s too stressed they would return her to my yard. I told them I would gladly take her back and take care of her in our yard, I just hope this place won’t euthanasia her or the kittens.
I’ll let you know how I make out, I do feel a little relieved...thanks again
I am so so happy it worked out!! :clap:

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The Boston Animal Rescue came out and were able to get the mother cat and four out of five of her kittens. I asked them when the mother is spayed if they could please return her to me. They said they would make note of the request. Unfortunately it’s the long Holiday w/e and they don’t work on Sunday or Monday's so the mother cat wouldn’t be spayed at the earliest til Tuesday. They had needed to come back on 3 separate days to be able to catch the cats. There’s still one poor little kitten left alone in the shed, I’ve been feeding him twice a day but he is scared and is hiding. I feel so bad for him, one day he has his mother and siblings and then he’s suddenly alone. They won’t be able to try to get him again until Tuesday. I’ve thought about trying to get him myself but if I did catch him I really don’t have a place to keep him because of all my indoor cats. I guess I’ll just have to trust in God that he’ll stay safe.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The Boston Animal Rescue came out and were able to get the mother cat and four out of five of her kittens. I asked them when the mother is spayed if they could please return her to me. They said they would make note of the request. Unfortunately it’s the long Holiday w/e and they don’t work on Sunday or Monday's so the mother cat wouldn’t be spayed at the earliest til Tuesday. They had needed to come back on 3 separate days to be able to catch the cats. There’s still one poor little kitten left alone in the shed, I’ve been feeding him twice a day but he is scared and is hiding. I feel so bad for him, one day he has his mother and siblings and then he’s suddenly alone. They won’t be able to try to get him again until Tuesday. I’ve thought about trying to get him myself but if I did catch him I really don’t have a place to keep him because of all my indoor cats.
The Boston Animal Rescue came out and were able to get the mother cat and four out of five of her kittens. I asked them when the mother is spayed if they could please return her to me. They said they would make note of the request. Unfortunately it’s the long Holiday w/e and they don’t work on Sunday or Monday's so the mother cat wouldn’t be spayed at the earliest til Tuesday. They had needed to come back on 3 separate days to be able to catch the cats. There’s still one poor little kitten left alone in the shed, I’ve been feeding him twice a day but he is scared and is hiding. I feel so bad for him, one day he has his mother and siblings and then he’s suddenly alone. They won’t be able to try to get him again until Tuesday. I’ve thought about trying to get him myself but if I did catch him I really don’t have a place to keep him because of all my indoor cats. I guess I’ll just have to trust in God that he’ll stay safe.
somehow my reply got posted twice. Wanted to let everyone know the kitten stayed safe over the holiday w/e and he was caught today (Tuesday).
They told me the mother cat will be returned here tomorrow.
Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction for help.