Help with diarrhea and a dirty bottom?

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has your vet run a test for Giardia on their stools? That will cause persistent and very liquidy diarrhea and will not go away until the giardia is resolved. It is a protozoa and so a general screen for parasites won't reveal it. Plus, the cysts are shed at various times so it could have been missed.

As for messy cat bottoms: Pampers baby wipes, unscented. They are excellent. You may have to use a few for each cat but it's the easiest way without dunking them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ninababy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel so bad.. I thought Snow was getting better but they both have very runny diarrhea now.. doesn't it make the situation worse that they clean themselves and lick it back up? I mean I try to clean them up and have trimmed their backside but they I cna't always be there to watch them..

The last time I had them both at the vet, several weeks ago, only Snow was having diarrhea.. the vet took a fresh fecal sample and did a 'float?' on it and said there were no parasites or anything in her stool.. so she was not sure what was causing it.. said maybe her system was just imbalanced..at the time Audrey had been fine except for some sneezing.. but wouldn't that test have caught giardia?

Also I think Snow had some giardia medicine when she was at the rescue(although it was preventative).. I hate also that she's not gaining any weight.. she is petite, but she's eating fine, however she's only about 3 pounds at 6 months..