Help With Cat Asthma

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!
My cat occasionally (maybe once or twice a month) has incidents where he crouches and stretches his neck out and has what I believe to be an asthma attack. When I described his symptoms to my vet a few years ago she said it sounded like asthma. But everything I have read on the internet makes it seem like he would have more symptoms and/or more frequent attacks.

It looks like he’s trying to couch something up after the attach has passes, but he has never once coughed up a hairball. I’m hoping someone with a cat with asthma can help me or give me some insight on whether or not this does is fact sound like it could be asthma.
Thank you so much!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, your description sound like asthmatic cough. You can also google it to see the video how does the cough look like in cats. If he never produces any material, it’s very unlikely it’s hairball related. However, at least xrays is necessary to diagnose it, I wouldn’t start any steroid treatment without it. But if it comes to that, you’ll be able to buy inhalers from the overseas pharmacies for normal price.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, your description sound like asthmatic cough. You can also google it to see the video how does the cough look like in cats. If he never produces any material, it’s very unlikely it’s hairball related. However, at least xrays is necessary to diagnose it, I wouldn’t start any steroid treatment without it. But if it comes to that, you’ll be able to buy inhalers from the overseas pharmacies for normal price.
Thank you so much, finding a video is an excellent idea I hadn’t thought of. I was wondering what the vet would have to do I order for me to get asthma meds. An X-ray makes sense.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You’d need prescription from the vet. Do you have Facebook? If so, join Feline Asthma Support Group. But first get your boy properly diagnosed, several conditions need to be ruled out like heart issues, parasites, bacterial infections. Asthma is one of the most over diagnosed conditions and in some cases, starting steroids before proper diagnosis can have serious consequences (eg. in case you deal with heart issues rather than asthma).

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You’d need prescription from the vet. Do you have Facebook? If so, join Feline Asthma Support Group. But first get your boy properly diagnosed, several conditions need to be ruled out like heart issues, parasites, bacterial infections. Asthma is one of the most over diagnosed conditions and in some cases, starting steroids before proper diagnosis can have serious consequences (eg. in case you deal with heart issues rather than asthma).
I’m definitely calling the vet Monday. I’ve discussed this thing that he does with her before, years ago, and she said she thought it was asthma but because the attacks were so infrequent that we could hold off on steroids. If I have the option between steroids or the inhaler i definitely will go the inhaler route. I do have Facebook, thank you for telling me about the group, I’ll join.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are tons of videos of cat asthma attacks you can find on YouTube.

Two good web sites for more info on cat asthma:

Most vets will do tests to diagnose the asthma. This can be a chest x ray or a tracheal wash or some other test. Once a diagnosis is made, the vet will prescribe treatment based on the severity of the symptoms. This can be steroids or inhaled medicine. Inhaled medicines have to be given through the AeroKat device. Training a cat to hold still for such a device may be challenging. Steroids can be pills or compounded into another form for easier giving.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m definitely calling the vet Monday. I’ve discussed this thing that he does with her before, years ago, and she said she thought it was asthma but because the attacks were so infrequent that we could hold off on steroids. If I have the option between steroids or the inhaler i definitely will go the inhaler route. I do have Facebook, thank you for telling me about the group, I’ll join.
Inhaler is also steroid based, but because it’s in inhaled form, it doesn’t have systemic side effects as oral/injected steroids do. It’s for prevention and needs to be given daily, but it’s definitely worth to keep the symptoms in control.

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are tons of videos of cat asthma attacks you can find on YouTube.

Two good web sites for more info on cat asthma:

[/URL]
[/URL]

Most vets will do tests to diagnose the asthma. This can be a chest x ray or a tracheal wash or some other test. Once a diagnosis is made, the vet will prescribe treatment based on the severity of the symptoms. This can be steroids or inhaled medicine. Inhaled medicines have to be given through the AeroKat device. Training a cat to hold still for such a device may be challenging. Steroids can be pills or compounded into another form for easier giving.
Thank you so much! I wasn’t sure how the inhaled medication would work or hoe easy/hard it would be. I’m equally worried about trying to pill him in the middle of an asthma attack, as they’re so infrequent that I really don’t want to have him on steroids. This was great info, thank you!!