Help with Bite wound

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a kitty that got into a fight with a house mate due to redirected aggression, a stray was outside and all heck broke loose. I didn’t know she had a bite wound until several weeks later when yesterday it started to ooze. I am not able to get an appt with a vet until April 7. I have cleaned it and it’s not really oozing any pus anymore but my cat is licking it and the puncture hole has tripled in size. The other bite wound has stayed normal size. Again no pus oozing,hole is just getting bigger. Emergency Vet situation? It will probably be a $500 ER vet visit. I’m going to try to get into the regular vet earlier but it may be Saturday. Really worried and not sure what to do. Is the hole getting bigger normal?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’m going to try to get into the regular vet earlier but it may be Saturday.
Hi! Is it hot to the touch, or swollen, and painful? If not, calling the vet's office tomorrow and asking what they suggest that you do should be fine - although I'm not a vet.
If yes, it's emergency time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Luckily It’s not hot or swollen but I’m still going to get her in the ER vet. I’m forced to do the wait and see with the strays I’ve treated with this issue but I can handle her and get her in a carrier.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oozing pus is a symptom of infection. Her licking it is just increasing the chance that it would come infected if it isn't already. How'd the ER visit go?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My regular vet took her the next day because the ER vet had a 5 hour wait. There was no pus oozing that was gone and it was not hot or swollen. The puncture wound just got bigger that was why there was worry. She got a antibiotic injection and they shaved her and cleaned the wound. She is fine.