Help with an E-Cone

Soroxas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, Sam, had surgery this Tuesday to correct his Cauda Equina. He came home yesterday with the instructions to wear an e-cone for two weeks. I had assumed the vet/vet tech would put the cone on. In fact, at one point they told me he was wearing it and was not happy. However, when I went to pick him up Wednesday, they handed me the cone and told me to put it on when I got home.... Sam is a very... ornery cat. I'm not afraid of him biting me (he bites me all the time, no big deal). I'm more afraid of hurting his incision in the struggle. I repeatedly asked the lady at the vet's office about having it put on there or getting some help. She eventually found his tech, who said Sam hasn't been trying to lick or bite the incision, and so it was probably okay for him to go without it. I really wasn't happy with that answer, but what more could I do at that point...

The incision is on this lower back. Last night he attempted to lick it twice, but fell short both times before giving up. Right now it appears he is too swollen and uncomfortable to do much grooming or anything more than just sleep. But I am concerned that in the coming days, when the swelling goes down and he starts to feel better, he will start to mess with it, especially when it starts to itch.

In saying all this, does anyone have any tips, tricks, advice on what I should do in this situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It sounds as if the vet tech managed to sidestep having to put an e cone on Sam. Is it possible to bring him back to have the collar specifically put on? Or maybe the whole process of going back to the vet is too much for Sam right now which would be understandable? Can you use a onesie on this type of surgery, a cat surgical recovery suit of which there are a lot online? Baby clothes and small dog clothes can also be altered to work. Of course, if he does not want to put on the cone, I don't know that he wants to put on a whole suit. Almost all alternatives to the standard cone are basically cones made out of some other material like fabric or plastic, so that does not help.

As for the itching as time goes on....yes, that could be a big issue and it seems that the vet needs to be aware that you have been left high and dry if you can't get some protective gear on Sam.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you do get the cone on him, remember that he will not be able to do his basic washing while wearing it. You'll need to help him stay clean and comfortable. Vets almost never mention this, and I'm sure it's behind a lot of cat cone hate and attempts to get out of the cone.

I'm so glad you found a good vet finally and in time. Pets to Sam.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry he had to have surgery, that is great he is doing well. If he is not licking it I would leave it off. Some cats can become very distressed by it. Mine would not tolerate it and had no issues with stitches etc. there are smaller soft donut collars and also onsies you could try.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is a common complaint .Many cats simply will not tolerate them and force their humans to give up. (I hate the term cat owner since we consider them our furkids.) What I would do is buy a t-shirt for small dogs if my cat kept licking the incision area.