Help with a stray/semi feral male cat please.

leahnicole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
A stray cat started coming around this past April and I started leaving out food for him. He would run to me for food and did let me pet him, only one pet or two on his back while he ate. He had bitten and clawed me a couple of times. He showed up one day bloody and his face was so clawed up. I eventually trapped him and got him neutered. We brought him home and decided to keep him inside. We kept him in a separate room since we do have other cats and introduced them slowly. He gets along perfectly with the others but my husband and myself not so much. He will come to us, tail up and rub on our legs then it's like a switch flipped and he attacks our legs by biting and clawing. It's been about 2 1/2 weeks since he has been neutered. It's really confusing to me why he is doing this...I have never trapped and taken in a stray cat before so this is all new to me. He has attacked us even when we are just walking by or doing things around the house. I am not sure what happened to him while he was outside and I blame him one bit. I know he can be a good boy but it's making me stressed and sad because I want to keep him and give him a good home. Any ideas or advice about his behavior would be so appreciated.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are afraid of someone,something walking towards the especially taller so that may be why he is biting. Try not to make much noise. Start by scratching on the cheeks then day by day slowly move up. Get a cat tree. He Wil feel safer high up

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. This cat has gone through quite a bit of change in a very short time, so it may just take more time for him to begin to relax and feel comfortable with humans, and his new home. If he had been a stray for a while, he is likely more comfortable around other cats than he is humans.

He could also be lacking in cat manners too - so, it is possible the attacking is his way of trying to play. Attacking after rubbing against you could be overstimulation too, or it could be a reaction to him realizing he might have gotten a little more 'comfy' than his instincts tell him he should be at this point.

I've included links to several TCS articles below, not all may apply, but you can read through them to see if they might help you to determine what is behind his behavior and how you might help him adapt to his new life.
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home - TheCatSite
How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats - TheCatSite
Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips) - TheCatSite
Why Do Cats Attack? - TheCatSite
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me - TheCatSite

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'll just add that you and your husband show blinking at him may help him to feel safe and bind as well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leahnicole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is doing much better! The only time he is clawing is when we are getting his meals.ready for him. The clawing and biting doesn't seem as vicious so I am happy about that. I am hoping with more time, the biting and clawing will stop.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
That's brilliant! If it's settling, there's no reason to believe it won't settle more.