Help with a Kenyan Sand Boa

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So we have had our little snake William S. Burrows(Willie) for about 4 years now. We are getting ready to invest in a bigger tank for him. We want to get one that stands alone on a stand so he can be moved from the bookcase in the cornor out into the main part of the livingroom. He loves attention and its tough getting to him.

What I am wondering is can we use playground sand for his tank. Right now we are using sand we got at the reptile house for him but it is costly, like $7-10 a pound. We have only needed to get a pound or so at a time, so it never cost too much. If we get him a new tank we will need to get somewhere between 5-7 pounds. His new tank will be considerably bigger. Gettting that much sand at the reptile house will be costly, since we change it out about every 6 months. We can get a 50 pound bag of playground sand for around $10. Thats a huge price differance.

So does anyone know. I figuer it would be okay since playground sand is cleaned and steralized plus it is tumbled so all the sharp edges are removed. We just don't want to use it if it will hurt him.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see that it would make a big difference.
Reptile sand is just uniformly colored silica sand.