Help! Window trouble.

Cassten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I am having trouble finding a solution to my window problem. I am renting an apartment and am on the third floor. I have an "awning" style window that opens in and at a slant. My cats like to climb in the window when it's open and because the window is slanted the cat is pushed up against the very flimsy screen and it is incredibly unsafe. My solution was to never open the window ever again, but my boyfriend disagrees. We don't have control over the air conditioning and it can get really hot and muggy in the room. We agreed that we would monitor the window when it's open but people make mistakes. Today the window was left open and I just about had a heart attack when I walked into the bedroom to see my cat pushed up against the screen little paw dangling out the window. I'm worried that a screen isn't strong enough, and baby proofing the inside of the window wont work, because then we wouldn't be able to open it. I have attached an image of the same window I have. Please if anyone has any advice, I would be truly grateful.
1587591703597.png

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We had those exact windows except they opened outward. We used a small screen we bought at a hardware store and attached it to the window with Velcro. When we wanted to close the window we could just pop it off, and when we moved there was no damage. It would probably work well for those windows as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cassten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Since you are renting obviously you don't want to attach anything permanent. Therefore, due to the shape of the window and how it opens up the only thing I could think of was some type of cat shelf such as these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VHL5NPJ/?tag=thecatsite
Amazon.com : Cat Window Bed - Free Fleece Blanket and Toy – Extra Large and Sturdy – Holds Two Large Cats – Easy to Assemble! : Pet Supplies
Thank you! 😄

Are you recommending that, the cat shelf be placed over the opening so the cats can get on top but not in the window? Almost like a lid? 🤔

Cassten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had those exact windows except they opened outward. We used a small screen we bought at a hardware store and attached it to the window with Velcro. When we wanted to close the window we could just pop it off, and when we moved there was no damage. It would probably work well for those windows as well.
Thank you for your response. 🙂
I will look more into screens. I just have some trouble trusting them. My boy is chunky. 😅

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
And we had the window angled out, so there was no way for them to slide against the screen. So I understand the concern

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you! 😄 Are you recommending that, the cat shelf be placed over the opening so the cats can get on top but not in the window? Almost like a lid? 🤔
Yes, that was exactly my intention. :agree:

Cassten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, that was exactly my intention. :agree:
What a fantastic idea! 😃

The cat window bed with the suction cups on top looks like it will work! I'm going to order it today. 😄 I'm so excited!

Thank you so much!