Help! We just want our baby back to normal

karley12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Zelda is just shy of 3 years old. A couple of months ago we noticed she had been digging at her nose (the openings to her nostrils) and had scratched them raw and bloody. We kept an eye thinking maybe her and her sister had played too rough and Zelda just wasn’t allowing a small scratch to heal. We took her to the vet and they said to try just plain old anti biotic ointment. We were applying that daily for about a week. It healed over so we stopped (it has since reopened). Then all of the sudden a few weeks ago (about a week and a half after the initial vet visit) she started to exhibit some erratic behavior. She would frantically run around the apartment, jumping on and off of things, licking and biting at her tail and back. Immediately, we thought “oh no, fleas!” We checked both cats, and nothing. Then the days after it was getting more frequent so we made another appointment. We had a blood test and urine and stool analysis done. Blood test came back relatively normal. There was an elevated element the vet said could be linked to allergies or a parasite, however, parasite was ruled out by the stool sample and allergies, he stated, were unlikely due to no outward skin issues and no odd bathroom habits. The urine did have a small amount of blood but he chalked that up to stress as there were no other indications of other health issues. Next we were prescribed Gabapentin. We gave it to her 2 times a day for a week. She wouldn’t have any episodes for a few hours but as soon as it wore off she was having episodes again. The vet has ruled out Feline Hyperesthesia as she does not have any issues with being touched on her back.

We are just sad and confused and want our baby back to her normal self. Please help. We are desperate for any advice and/or suggestions to bring to the vets attention if possible

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any changes or other animals in the home besides Zelda's sister? Changes to detergents, cleaning products, new bedding, foods, treats - anything at all not matter how small?

Any work being down around the apartment causing dust or dirt to be more prevalent?

I ask as for some reason dust mites come to mind.

The blood in the urine, if small.,could also be caused when they retrieve it from the urine. Eg: My vet the other day went to get a urine sample and the bladder moved on her, so naturally when she got the sample there was a tiny bit of blood in the urine most likely caused by getting the sample. Sounds like that might be similar and very normal to have occur.

Did the Vet mention why Gabapentin?

PS - and I'm rude, so sorry. HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome to the cat site XOXOXO :welcomesign:

Hopefully others with more experience will chime in soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karley12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No changes at all! Nora is her sister (litter mates...We got them when they were about 4 months old)
We do live in an older building but no changes in that sense that I’m aware of

we did have guests over for a weekend shortly before this occurred. The one guest visits a few times a year and they recognize him but we did have a new guest this time.

as for the Gabapentin, the vet thinks she just may be an easily anxious kitty and I really pushed the hyperesthsia only because her episodes look pretty close to other cats with it. The vet next is wanting to try Royal Canin Calm diet to see if that helps

Also, not rude at all!! HELLO :) :) :)

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:-) Hi :-)

It shouldn't matter weeks later, but, any strong perfumes on the new guest? Yup - I'm stretching here. The nose is such a sensitive area that I'm trying to think of anything that could have triggered this for her. My one kitty pushes her nose in the litter sometimes and I have to clean it as it gets stuck - any chance?

Interesting about the gaba. I ask as I have to medicate two of mine with it just before a vet visit or else, at least with the one kitty, I don't stand a chance getting her there, never mind anyone being able to look at her. The way it was described to me was that it doesn't calm them, but rather puts them in a state where they can't be bothered to do something. For example, Braveheart is the one I have to medicate in order to slow her down enough to get her in a cage as she'll freak out something awful. However, she is still terrified. I know that because her heartbeat is still through the roof during the visit. She's just to slow to do much about anything.

Anything else transpire at the vet visit? Shots? Medications? (besides ointment and Gaba). I assume he check up her nose. (Doubt she was pleased about that lol)

I'll try to think of some more ideas as that is rather puzzling.

This might sound odd, but have you tried playing her some harp music? Seriously. It calms one of my very intense kitties when he's in a mood. Not always, but it's been fairly good.

karley12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No strong scents on the guest that I noticed

And when we took her the first time last month for the nose the vet didn’t examine it much to be honest. She just recommended the ointment.
As for the harp music, I’m so down to try that. Who knows! Could work!

We are just super sad and frustrated as one could expect. We are going to get her an e-collar this weekend to attempt to heal the nose without her messing. We also are going to purchase a thunder shirt for her. She seems to calm down during an episode when I hold her steady close to me. I think the calming shirt could work well too

karley12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:-) Hi :-)

It shouldn't matter weeks later, but, any strong perfumes on the new guest? Yup - I'm stretching here. The nose is such a sensitive area that I'm trying to think of anything that could have triggered this for her. My one kitty pushes her nose in the litter sometimes and I have to clean it as it gets stuck - any chance?

Interesting about the gaba. I ask as I have to medicate two of mine with it just before a vet visit or else, at least with the one kitty, I don't stand a chance getting her there, never mind anyone being able to look at her. The way it was described to me was that it doesn't calm them, but rather puts them in a state where they can't be bothered to do something. For example, Braveheart is the one I have to medicate in order to slow her down enough to get her in a cage as she'll freak out something awful. However, she is still terrified. I know that because her heartbeat is still through the roof during the visit. She's just to slow to do much about anything.

Anything else transpire at the vet visit? Shots? Medications? (besides ointment and Gaba). I assume he check up her nose. (Doubt she was pleased about that lol)

I'll try to think of some more ideas as that is rather puzzling.

This might sound odd, but have you tried playing her some harp music? Seriously. It calms one of my very intense kitties when he's in a mood. Not always, but it's been fairly good.
Also nothing extra at the original visit. Quick in and out. After the second visit when she got the blood drawn, her sister was very mean (hissing and swatting) for a little over 24 hrs after which probably didn’t help her or our stress levels. They are connected at the hip so to see that was heartbreaking and you could tell Zelda was confused and just wanted her sister to cuddle her. All is well between them now. Thank goodness. A lot of tears in that 24hrs were shed between my boyfriend and I. It’s been very trying and we just want our family back to normal :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It might be worth it to have a skin scraping/swabbing done of the area of her nose that she is scratching at - perhaps there is an underlying bacterial issue that is not being addressed? Not sure how that would explain the other behaviors she is demonstrating, but I guess you never know.

You could also try calming products to see if that would take the place of using Gabapentin all the time. Not all products work on all cats, so you would likely have to do some experimenting. Just do an internet search on 'cat calming products' to see what is available and what you might like to try. Another option to consider might be CBD oil.

Glad to hear the non-recognition issue after the vet visit was resolved. Next time one of them goes to the vet without the other, take some towels/cloth and rub them on the cat due for the vet visit, and then after they come back home use those towels to rub on them again to help cover/mask the vet visit smells. You can also rub towels on the cat that didn't go to the vet and use those towels to rub on the other cat when they return home.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No strong scents on the guest that I noticed

And when we took her the first time last month for the nose the vet didn’t examine it much to be honest. She just recommended the ointment.
As for the harp music, I’m so down to try that. Who knows! Could work!

We are just super sad and frustrated as one could expect. We are going to get her an e-collar this weekend to attempt to heal the nose without her messing. We also are going to purchase a thunder shirt for her. She seems to calm down during an episode when I hold her steady close to me. I think the calming shirt could work well too
There are loads of things, just like the calming shirt, that can help calm her. I don't know about you, but if my nose were making me scratch all the time - I might go a little whirly snaky nutty too!

Remember to take care of yourselves too. Cats pick up on emotions - you're stressed - they're stressed.

Also nothing extra at the original visit. Quick in and out. After the second visit when she got the blood drawn, her sister was very mean (hissing and swatting) for a little over 24 hrs after which probably didn’t help her or our stress levels. They are connected at the hip so to see that was heartbreaking and you could tell Zelda was confused and just wanted her sister to cuddle her. All is well between them now. Thank goodness. A lot of tears in that 24hrs were shed between my boyfriend and I. It’s been very trying and we just want our family back to normal :(
*HUGS* I know it hard. Don't despair. Have faith it'll out get sorted.

What FeebysOwner FeebysOwner said about non-recognition issue seems to happen a lot. I had never heard of it until I came here and now I do exactly as she's suggested. I have a towel that is scent soaked with everyone and before I let them near each other now I rub them down with the towel when they first arrive home and so far *knock on wood* it's been a life saver. We need no more issue in this house between cats lol

*hugs more*

Hi. It might be worth it to have a skin scraping/swabbing done of the area of her nose that she is scratching at - perhaps there is an underlying bacterial issue that is not being addressed? Not sure how that would explain the other behaviors she is demonstrating, but I guess you never know.
I agree with everything you posted too. A swab is also a great idea! Maybe there is something not visible to us that is bugging her. Literally.

XO

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you change litter? Sometimes the additives cause reactions. Switching (slowly) to an all-natural litter might help. Have you changed her food? Have you tried an antihistamine?