Help! We just rescued a baby bird!

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I got home from the grocery store, my husband had rescued a baby bird, which we believe is a baby dove. He has most of his feathers, but still can't quite fly. We saw him in the yard late yesterday, and thought he was sick and dying. This afternoon, my husband saw him under our bird feeders, hiding. We now have him in an old wire cage with bedding and bird seed. But I don't know how to get him water. Do they drink from bowls or the hanging water bottles? Any hints on how we can ensure his survival? Help!!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dawn, it is sometimes quite difficult to save a baby bird. You can give it water via a syringe or dropper if you have one, only drop the water slowly down the gullet or you can choke it. Raw hamburger is good to feed it you can moisten the meat with a little bit of water right before feeding. If it doesn't have feathers, it needs to be kept quite warm and chances are very slim that it will survive. Sorry, but I won't sugarcoat this, I have lost too many baby birds in my time no matter what has been tried. Good luck!

Here is a link that I have used in the past. But if there are professionals in your area, I urge you to contact them and let them know of this baby.

Raising a baby bird

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Hissy! I'll try some hamburger. Actually, this little bird has most of his feathers and just a bit of the baby down is left. It flew a little bit when my husband caught it, but couldn't stay up. There are LOTS of loose cats around here, that's why we brought it in. We're expecting it to not make it, and that's what we've told the kids, but we want to try as hard as we can.

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was younger, my parents rescued baby birds that had fallen from nests or blown from then during windy days. I dont remember what they fed them though. It was some type of mixed "goop" that they fed them thru a syringe.
They kept them in the house in a box, and when they were old enough & strong enough, they let them go.

Good luck, Dawn!
Also, try calling your gaming and fish department or vet to see what they suggest.