Help w/ my new puppy's breed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Awsome Pawsomes

This is a picture of my Bordercollie x Cattle dog ,Mishka. I thought it might help comparing your pic with an actual Bordercollie x .
Mishka does alot of herding of people and cats and the other 2 dogs. She goes skitzo when the cats are racing about inside.
Wow, do those ears look familiar! And the facial expression too!

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The dog in the OP (sorry, I skimmed halfway through the first page, lol, so ya'll might have gone onto something else in the 2nd page), but I'm going with German Shepherd or Belgian Shepherd or whatever. The ears are a good giveaway, plus the German Shepherd and Belgian (and other miscellaneous Shepherds) are herding dogs, just to let everyone know, if they don't already. Border Collies are more famous as being a herder because Shepherds aren't seen as often these days. But they ARE classified as herders.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are some new JD photos!

Here he is trying to fit into one of the sheepskin cat beds. (Really, Mom, I can fit!)

He's eight months old now!

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh there's some Belgian Shepherd definitely!! He is LOVELY! Beautiful, beautiful boy.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, thanks. He's very sweet, too. I'll have to get a standing photo of him. He's not real tall. Not even as big as a Border Collie. And he has a wavy coat.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How cute is he
I think he looks a lot like a GSD that I had, she was black, like him. (I will have to get some pics of her in the computer, so you can see her.) I wonder if he is a shep mix. I like Smudges little buddy, he is cute!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I thought maybe a little Chow in him? Does he have any purple/black on his tongue?
Just wanted to mention that having purple/black on the tongue does not mean a dog is part Chow... I know a lot of people think this but it's not true! First of all there are other breeds which also have black tongues and mouths like Chinese Shar-Pei. Second of all ANY breed/mix can get a spot of dark pigment on their tongue, sometimes a tiny one like a mole and sometimes a large one like a patch. It's sort of like a birthmark on their tongue, and it's common in several breeds including Labs, Goldens, and German Shepherds but any dog can get it.

Also wanted to say the puppy's head/face in the first photos. sorta reminds me of a Corgi...but it's really really hard to tell the parentage of puppies!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Just my humble opinion: It looks like he has a bit of collie in him. Is he herding your cats?
Oh, yes! He's very good at herding the cats! He gets them where he wants and then stands OVER them. ??? Kinda weird. But cute. We've taught him NOT to herd people though.