Help w/ my new puppy's breed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gsxrgirl

aren't dogs great!! I love our kitten and our cat don't get me wrong, but there's nothing like getting greeted at the back door by a totally excited puppy who is sooooo excited you have to squeeze though the door because he's trying to push on it to get to you.....!!!!
Yeah, with his little ears plastered against his head and uncontrollable wiggling.

nelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
About a hundred years ago, when I was only 9 or 10, my mom and dad got a Belgian Shepherd. She was huge, sable colored, but other than color, identical to your puppy.

She could open doors (knobs) with her mouth at 6 months. She climbed the backyard fence like a ladder shortly after.

My mom tells stories about this dog as if she were some Greek myth. Poor pup died at 9 months of distemper.

Your puppy looks so much like our Ilka. Treat her like a Belgian, and she will be! Best of everything,
Nelle

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nelle

About a hundred years ago, when I was only 9 or 10, my mom and dad got a Belgian Shepherd. She was huge, sable colored, but other than color, identical to your puppy.

She could open doors (knobs) with her mouth at 6 months. She climbed the backyard fence like a ladder shortly after.

My mom tells stories about this dog as if she were some Greek myth. Poor pup died at 9 months of distemper.

Your puppy looks so much like our Ilka. Treat her like a Belgian, and she will be! Best of everything,
Nelle
I'm so sorry Ilka died. You'll have to keep up with JD to see if he can compare! He actually retrieves better than our 7 year old lab. (Mostly he brings the stuff back, where Shadow wants to keep it and chew it.) I can't believe he's 4 months old already!

indykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

A little update on JD...his 16 week check up and shots had him at 16 pounds (gained 5 pounds in 4 weeks). And here's the funniest thing!! A lady came into the vet's office when we were there, and he ran over to her, and she said, "oh, my! He looks like a Belgian Sheepdog!" I was floored - not many people have heard of them. Then she told me she used to raise them!

Anyways, there are some "issues" with potty training, but we've got a crate, so it's getting better. He doesn't nip at people anymore to get them to go, and I can usually get him to leave the cats alone by doing a "down" command. Here are a couple of pics:

That's not a border collie that's some form of shepard. Perhaps the Belgian one you keep talking about. My sister has a purebred long haird German shepard and he has the same body type and ears as my sisters dog. Just different colouring.

He's a beauty regardless of what breed he is though, and he's a very lucky dog to have found his way to you.

Jennifer Sweeney

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Indykitty

That's not a border collie that's some form of shepard. Perhaps the Belgian one you keep talking about. My sister has a purebred long haird German shepard and he has the same body type and ears as my sisters dog. Just different colouring.

He's a beauty regardless of what breed he is though, and he's a very lucky dog to have found his way to you.

Jennifer Sweeney
Yeah. I thought he was a border collie for about 5 days, ha ha. His ear tips started drooping down, but then SPRANG to attention. Plus, he's totally afraid of frisbees! (I feel kind of obsessive here - that Belgian one I keep talking about, LOL!)

It's a bit odd. When I was growing up, we had a very rare dog that we got from the pound, a Hungarian Puli (sheepdog). I think it's pretty ironic that I've probably got another dog that isn't that common again, and again from the shelter.

indykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think that happens when people don't consider what kind of dog they are getting when they get one. I mean I want a beagle but the more I read about them I realize that a college student with a one bedroom flat and two cats isn't the best owner for a high activity high energy dog.

So instead of getting a dog and having to give it up when I can't take good care of it I read books about them instead.

That feels better and more humane to me.

Jennifer Sweeney

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Indykitty

I think that happens when people don't consider what kind of dog they are getting when they get one. I mean I want a beagle but the more I read about them I realize that a college student with a one bedroom flat and two cats isn't the best owner for a high activity high energy dog.

So instead of getting a dog and having to give it up when I can't take good care of it I read books about them instead.

That feels better and more humane to me.

Jennifer Sweeney
Aw...definitely. I didn't realize beagles were so bad about barking before I had a friend with one. And ANY kind of puppy is like, WOW, a lot more energy draining than a cat.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He's adorable!

He looks like a lab/australian cattle dog mix to me. His eyes/ears/muzzle remind me of an australian cattle dog.

My sister got a Gordon Setter from the Humane Society once. He was 9 years old and his owners who had had him since he was a puppy were moving. It's amazing what you can find if you go to the pound or shelter. That's why I try to tell people... it doesn't matter how much you sell a puppy for, $500 or $1000 there's people who buy $500 dogs all the time, get tired of them or end up moving, and they get rid of the dog anyway [and eventually buy another one.]

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Plebayo

He's adorable!

He looks like a lab/australian cattle dog mix to me. His eyes/ears/muzzle remind me of an australian cattle dog.

My sister got a Gordon Setter from the Humane Society once. He was 9 years old and his owners who had had him since he was a puppy were moving. It's amazing what you can find if you go to the pound or shelter. That's why I try to tell people... it doesn't matter how much you sell a puppy for, $500 or $1000 there's people who buy $500 dogs all the time, get tired of them or end up moving, and they get rid of the dog anyway [and eventually buy another one.]
Another good reason not to support Backyard Breeders. These are the badly bred purebreds and half and half designer dogs that end up in the shelter

Not to mention all the regular mixes and mutts that need and deserve great homes !

gsxrgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hate when people say they have to get rid of a dog because "they are moving" you dont get rid of a kid because you are moving why would you get rid of a dog because you are moving...???? SOME PEOPLE CHILDREN!!!!

sweet72947

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lots of people get rid of dogs because they are moving. That's one of the most commonly heard excuses. Others include: having a baby, allergies, divorce, "don't have time", "cannot afford", and the list goes on.

gsxrgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it's seriously sad.....I could never imagine getting rid of a pet because of that reason. I get sooo attach to them.
....Heartless
people I guess.....

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
he looks like a cross between a Belgium Shepdog and some sort of Shepherd to me! He's prescious!!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My goodness, Kim. He is just too adorable!

His ears and eyes remind me of our family dog Felicia (RB), who was 1/2 pit bull, and 1/2 everything else. When asked what breed she was, he would say proudly, "She's an LBD." "A laborador?"
"No," he would answer. "A Little Black Dog."

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's very sweet. He's the only dog I've ever had that will take food gently from your hand without being trained to do it.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How are the puppy and kitty getting along?? (ps: he's an absolute sweetheart!!)

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renny

How are the puppy and kitty getting along?? (ps: he's an absolute sweetheart!!)
Really quite well. We had him for about 6 weeks before the kitten, so we got a little obedience into him because he's got a really high prey drive. But when a cat runs for it, I can get him to stop and not chase. Now of course, Smudge's favorite thing is to play with the puppy. So he runs up to the puppy and jumps on him and they have a little wrestling match. The older dog has been teaching him how to play fight, so he can wrestle without hurting the kitten. When we are home, they are pretty much constantly together.
You can see Smudge in that top photo there.

awsome pawsomes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is a picture of my Bordercollie x Cattle dog ,Mishka. I thought it might help comparing your pic with an actual Bordercollie x .
Mishka does alot of herding of people and cats and the other 2 dogs. She goes skitzo when the cats are racing about inside.