Important Help Us Help The Cats!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And to get things back on topic. I helped somebody in another pee topic today! I almost didn't say anything because I sound like a broken record talking about pee all the time, and figured people would get sick of hearing me talk. But I actually helped.:D

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've started following the forums, "Cat Health," "Cat SOS," "The Rainbow Bridge," and "New Cats on the Block." I set it so that I see the newest start dates, and can make sure that someone is answering in those. Makes it much easier.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with M maggiedemi seeing a ticker like that would make me sad and I would feel manipulated as well...using something to make us feel bad about a situation where many cat parents on here are barely getting by with what they have...I believe that most of us are aware of strays feral etc...we do not need to be manipulated or guilt tripped...there are several member on this site that are doing wonders for their community and surrounding communities to help with these issues...if anything maybe we can start a forum recognizing these heros and maybe even do some type of drive that will help these members help out more and to bring an awareness that way
As I said the only people who would be motivated would be those , which is just about everyone on this tie, who are already making a difference.
As to giving I need to take cat food to my local shelter. But I agree about a forum where we can express gratitude. I'd love to give to each and every one of those that run rescues here.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What does that mean when you follow someone on here? You get alerted to every single one of their posts? It seems like that would really fill up my inbox, but I'm gonna go try it...

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay thanks, I'm gonna give it a try and follow a couple people and see what it's like. :)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I love this, as I've posted quite a few threads that have gone unanswered for a day or more. The worst part was seeing how many people were online and thinking, geez, I feel awfully silly out here in the cold!
Sometimes I miss something. If that happens to you again, PM ME with the name of the thread, and I'll head over there next time I'm online. Depending on what time it is, that MIGHT be the next day, but by then!

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great idea, Anne. Actuall margd and I were talking about something similar a few weeks ago when one new member came in asking for urgent help. When no one responded within 30 minutes or so, she posted again.

What would a new person who needs advice within the hour need to do? Is there a way to put an "urgent reply needed" bar right alongside the "post reply" bar? I'm sure this might get over used, but the mods could send warnings not to overdo, and it would be helpful especially for members who are brand new to the site, and don't know to flag their own post.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I like that idea! Could it actually be a sub-Forum? You know, "Urgent Reply Needed Kitten Care," etc. I'd watch those forums. LOL...sometimes I don't know what to do, but I've been around long enough to know who to tag for them, at least! And ginny ginny is right, it could get overused and cause a bit of a hassle for the mods, but better that than someone screaming for help not being heard.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like that idea! Could it actually be a sub-Forum? You know, "Urgent Reply Needed Kitten Care," etc. I'd watch those forums. LOL...sometimes I don't know what to do, but I've been around long enough to know who to tag for them, at least! And ginny ginny is right, it could get overused and cause a bit of a hassle for the mods, but better that than someone screaming for help not being heard.

I've been reprimanded for tagging advisors, but then later told it's ok if it's an urgent situation. I don't think everyone is aware about this.

Sometimes new people don't even know where to go to post, let alone how to find the right forum, especially if they have an urgent situation. I recall not knowing how to find my last post to see if anyone answered.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have to say that I don't specifically tag advisors, just people I've been following who know a lot about whatever subject is on the table. LOL...some of them may actually BE advisors, but it isn't intentional!

Maybe it would be best to have an "URGENT" forum, with subforums from there. That way, we could go to one place to find people needing answers quickly.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I tag people who I know are experts in something I'm not - is that ok?

I don't know how to link people to other threads yet ... Wanted to do it today however didn't know how .. I'M on my phone when using this site btw.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
The problem with tagging is that people have really abused the system. We've had members that had been tagging every single advisor in every thread that they thought was urgent when many were not. Our Advisors' email boxes and alerts were getting filled up and they were getting overwhelmed. Our Advisors have forums assigned to them and regularly go through them.

There were also concerns that it can come across to others who would normally chime in, that their advice might either be disregarded or seem substandard once the person that was tagged answered. If the same members get tagged all the time, it can come off as cliquish.

I think the system is great and can be useful, but because some people abused it the decision was made to limit the use.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
There's something that's important for me to clarify here. Our advisors are volunteers who are obviously under no obligation to reply anywhere, anytime. They may not always be available and you shouldn't rely on their replies.

Advisors are usually longtime members with some experience with cat care. Sometimes a lot of experience with cat care, especially those involved with cat rescue operations. They share advice and ideas based on their own (often vast!) experience but they are not veterinarians, nutritionists or cat behaviorists. Especially not veterinarians.

I wanted to emphasize that since the issue is posts with urgent requests for help. Anything that's urgent is almost always a medical issue. What each and every one of us can do is to post in the thread, be kind and supportive and urge the poster to call a vet (or an emergency clinic). You could ask them for their location and help them find an emergency clinic if they can't do that on their own.

While I see the appeal, I think having a forum for urgent questions can actually be dangerous. It sends out the message that this is the place for cat owners to come when there's an emergency. It isn't. Our welcome PM to new members and our contact form are also very clear about that. Urgent medical question? Call a vet. Don't post in the forums and wait for strangers online to tell you how to treat your cat. Anything else? By all means, post in the forums and our members will try to help.

And I do appreciate the suggestion though! Just because I love it when members come up with new ideas for the forums. So don't let my reaction here stop you for making other suggestions in the future. Here or via a private conversation, I always love hearing those!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I see your point...well...all your points. And I try not to tag anyone unless there are very young kittens at risk with a guardian who has no idea how to handle orphans and such. THAT really can't wait. LOL...I'll have to look and see if the people I think of first actually are advisors. I never thought of it as "get an advisor," just "get someone whose knowledge fits this situation."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Right, I sometimes mention members whom I know have dealt with a similar issue before. And we also have the articles. For someone who posts saying they just found orphan kittens and have no idea what to do, you can just link them to these -
Hand Rearing Kittens: What You Need To Know To Save A Newborn's Life
I Found Abandoned Kittens - What Should I Do?

If they're panicked, you can even quote the important paragraph that's relevant to their question.

Someone with cat birth questions can find answers here -
Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!

We worked hard - with the advisors :thumbsup: - to create these detailed guides. You can find more by following these content tags -
pregnant cat | The Cat Site
newborn kittens | The Cat Site
cat birth | The Cat Site