Important Help Us Help The Cats!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Our cat care forums are busy this time of year with new - and not so new - members asking questions about cat behavior, health, nutrition and general care.

Unfortunately, we have people posting their cat questions and getting no replies for days on end... And that means cats that get no help. :frown:

YOU can help!

"What? Me? But I'm not a cat expert!"

That's fine, you absolutely don't need to be. Everyone can help others by welcoming them, showing support and helping them find answers here on the site. Anything is better than no replies, right?

Here's how YOU can help

1. Look for threads with no or few replies.

Visit the cat care forums and sort the threads by number of replies so that zero replies come up first (You can do that by clicking twice on the header "Replies" at the top of any thread list). Here are some direct links where I've done that already.
Cat Health Forum
Cat Nutrition Forum
Cat Behavior Forum
Grooming & General Cat Care Forum
Pregnant Cats & Kitten Care Forum (Please read this before posting there!)
Caring for Strays and Ferals Forum

2. See a thread with two replies or less? Give it a click and take a look.

Can you offer advice? Awesome! Share from your own experience and knowledge!

No clue what the solution is? Check our articles and see if you can link to one or two on-topic articles. Here's how to do that -
  • Visit the article section here.
  • Look for the article categories in the sidebar and click on the most relevant one.
  • Now use the search function to search that particular category for the topic you're looking for.
Capture.JPG

Take a quick look to see that the article is indeed relevant. No point in sending a new member on a wild goose chase.

Can't find anything? Just say hi, show some empathy and be nice to a new member. That goes a long way in helping them feel at home.

Found a thread that's older than 2 days and dropping down the page with no answers? Please flag that thread so the team can take a look.

As a member of our community, you can help cats by helping their owners! You can make a huge difference and literally save the life of a cat, just by replying to one or two threads a day.

After all, isn't this what TCS is all about?

THANK YOU! :grouphug:

Editing to add -
We now have the "Unanswered threads" feature back! Just hover over the word "Forums" in the navigation bar. Once the little arrow appears, click on that and you'll see this in the menu -
not-answered.jpg

See a thread with no answers? Jump right in and offer help, support or both! Don't leave new members hanging there :hangin:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Hmm I stopped doing that because I was told that when I replied to a thread with no answers that it no longer showed as unanswered and the mods didn't see it.
Oh no, I think what they were referring to was posts that just use the @ mention function to call advisors in. By all means, please do reply to threads. If anyone is telling you not to, send them to me :angrywoman:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for letting me know about this! I'll try to check the unanswered threads more often.
A friend of mine is fond of comparing the first response in a thread to cutting the first piece of a cake at a social gathering. Lots of people longingly look at that cake and want a slice, but are too bashful about being the first. However, once some brave soul rises to the challenge and makes that first cut, it gives others the confidence to come forward and join in. :wink:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Your friend is right, cheeser cheeser . Sometimes I'll see some frantic cat guardian posting for the first time with something going on and I have NO IDEA how to help. I'll still post, assuring them that, although I don't have the answer, once one person posts a reply, others are sure to follow, and that I'll be thinking of them and their cat, how glad I am that they found TCS, and that they ARE NOT ALONE. My dad used to call stuff like that "seeding the oyster." You put that ordinary little grain of sand in, and the layers of pearl follow.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, I think what they were referring to was posts that just use the @ mention function to call advisors in. By all means, please do reply to threads. If anyone is telling you not to, send them to me :angrywoman:
It's really easier to flag the post I don't always remember a screen name. I'm not being B about things. I have received so much support here through a really difficult time and just want to give back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Why am I getting obtrusive notifications for this thread? Can you please fix this?
Obtrusive Notification
It's a system feature that allows us to draw attention to a thread. I posted a reply in that thread asking you to try again. Not only can the message be dismissed, it's also set up to disappear after 5 minutes.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, Anne. I always try to check if a thread has no or very few replies but a gentle reminder never hurts and I don't always check on a daily basis. Will definitely try to make a more concerted effort.:thumbsup:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've kind of shied away from answering threads that I don't know anything about. The one time I tried to make welcoming chit chat, the person told me not to answer unless I knew what I was talking about. So...I guess I'm not good at welcoming chit chat? :dunno:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've kind of shied away from answering threads that I don't know anything about. The one time I tried to make welcoming chit chat, the person told me not to answer unless I knew what I was talking about. So...I guess I'm not good at welcoming chit chat? :dunno:
I'm so sorry that happened :hugs: Sometimes people are really stressed and desperate for help when they come and post here, so the occasional short response is bound to happen - it's certainly happened to me a few times over the years. Don't let it put you off. Why not spend some time getting to know our articles? You'll learn a lot yourself, and you can always link to them when replying to others. Sometimes the articles say it better than we can ourselves, especially if we have no personal experience with the issue at hand ;)

Last edited:

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for this...but with the new format...rude responses and etc...I personally have become very frustrated with site now...I don't mean to sound like a selfish whiny baby...I have just lost a lot of interest...about 2 weeks ago maybe 3 I reached out to 5 forums that had low answers as I remember you doing something similar to this about a year ago...and I didn't receive any feedback...once again I'm having a very hard time with new format especially cuz I'm on phone...which is my main source I use to do anything...I really wish you could make it user friendly on phone like on computer...

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise

No, I'm sure your welcoming chit chat is fine :lovecat2:. Maybe they were just burned too many times on other sites by the so called "social" media trolls that post just to see their words in print and who are trying to get a rise out of folks. :fuming:

Last edited: