help!! urine odor...can't find where cat's spraying

nmb81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!

I have a year old kitten....he's scheduled to be neutered in a month...but in the mean time i THINK he might be spraying as i clean the litter box regularly and when i come home my apartment smells like cat pee!!!!!

The problem is i cannot SEE where he is spraying...i have crawled on my hands and knees to smell the perimeter of my place and can't find where he's going....so since i can't see or find it i can't clean it up.............................................please help!! I don't want it to start permeating my clothes and things....is there some kind of product i can blindly spray that will rid the odor and prevent him from spraying?????? I have been sprinkling Glade powder (the pet odor eliminator one) on my carpet and vauuming it...but the smell is back the next day.

please help!!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
First of all, welcome to TCS.

You can find the spots with a black light as the urine spots glow. You can then use a enzyme type cleaner like Nature's Miracle or Zero-odor to start cleaning the spots. It may take several applications and you need to wait for it to dry before seeing results.

Feliway spray is useful in keeping them from returning and freshening the spot.

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is it possible that the smell is coming from somewhere else. Like perhaps a neighbourhood cat is spraying the window or door as he can smell the presence of your new male kitty.
I've been having a similiar problem since Christmas. I have come to the conclusion that the smell is coming from my cold air-return vent situated against the wall that connects with my neighbour's attached house. She owns at least 5 cats, and I'm convinced one is spraying the adjoining wall between our homes right where my air vent is situated.
I know it's not my cat's as there appears to be no sign of wet urine in the vent.
Just a thought.
Is your kitten less than 6 months?
Thier urine doesn't usually smell that bad when they're babies. (I don't think!)

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome! I also recommend the black light - I bought mine at PetsMart/PetCo and it wasn't too expensive. Enzymatic cleaners like Nature's Miracle are a must have to get rid of the smell - other cleaners might get rid of the odor by your senses, but if your kitty can still smell it, he may associate the area as a bathroom still and continue to use the spot. Best of luck, I hope you enjoy your time here!

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you use the blacklight, remember to turn out all the lights.
A product I have found effective is Nok-out (if you find the source of the urine smell!). I bought it at my local pet store, but here is a link if you can't find it.

http://www.nokout.com/

I had to clean my sofa for cat urine and I found Nok-out was the only product that worked.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there- welcome to TCS! Seems like you've gotten some great advice here, hope it helps!

See you in the forums!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome nmb81 and kitten-guy,

to TheCatSite and yes, there are several excellent products that permanently remove urine/spray odor and pheromone; the one I like best is Nature's Miracle Just For Cats, which you can buy from Petco, PetsMart, or other "pet" supply stores.
I buy it by the gallon because, with a multicat family, it's good to have around for "accidents". Follow the instructions on the bottle and you should have an odor-free house in no time!
Other posters have given you great advice, too, I see, regarding using a black light to find the areas to apply it to.

Your kitten guy is about eight months overdue for neutering, which may be why he is spray-marking; please, by all means, get him neutered asap!
This may, in time, eliminate the problem, or it may not, because you have waited so long. But please DO NOT BLAME THE CAT -- this is only natural behavior for felids in their natural state.
Keeping cats indoors-only helps to curb the urge to mark territory, fight, and spray; it also keeps cats much safer and keeps them flea-and-tick-free (or just about). Ask your vet about all of this; (s)he may be able to give additional advice and help to keep you and your little guy happy.
Other forums on TheCatSite may give additional tips, too!

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there
we're so happy to welcome you and your lovely kitty to TCS. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay with us - we're one great big family and you'll find loads of friends here. If I can help at all while you're finding your way around TCS just click on my username and send me a Personal Message - I'll do what I can to answer your questions

I hope you find an answer to your spraying issue. It's great that kitty is due to be neutered soon. Hopefully that will help with the issue.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi & welcome to TCS!
You've gotten great advice about using the black light and enzymatic cleaner. Hopefully that works for you!

If you have any questions as you find your way around the site, please feel free to click on my username & send me a private message. I'll do whatever I can to help