HELP! URGANT! I adopted a dog....And it's not going well

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweet72947

She doesn't sound very stable however, and you must be prepared in case you need to have her euthanized.
IMO, if a 6 month old puppy has been through so much in her life that she'll bite someone & break skin that readily, she's going to grow up to be a very dangerous dog unless she falls into the right hands. Especially considering she's two very high energy stubborn breeds.

And let's face it....people like Momofmany who work hard with dogs are rare. I wish there were more owners like that.

I am very proud you opted to adopt such a "vicious" breed mix, but I am also very proud you recognize that she is a danger in your home. That not only are you not comfortable around her, but you also recognize that you cannot handle her, before it's too late.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree on the obedience/behavior lessons. And PLEASE crate her when you cannot be present to watch her with the cats!

I'd observe her behavior in a crate - is she just as aggressive in getting to the cats when in there? If so, I'd think twice about keeping her cause it may be a case where you can never trust her alone with the cats.

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IMO, if a 6 month old puppy has been through so much in her life that she'll bite someone & break skin that readily, she's going to grow up to be a very dangerous dog unless she falls into the right hands
I agree...I had a dog that bit (me, and it awas a severe bite) and it was very very difficult...and it can be a huge liability for you to, legally. I could never let my guard down with him, especially when other people were around. I NEVER could allow any children to be around him. He never bit anyone again, but the trust was gone. I don't know if I'd keep a dog like that again. Maybe if it is only adults and no other animals.

And PLEASE crate her when you cannot be present to watch her with the cats!
I also agree with this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I agree on the obedience/behavior lessons. And PLEASE crate her when you cannot be present to watch her with the cats!

I'd observe her behavior in a crate - is she just as aggressive in getting to the cats when in there? If so, I'd think twice about keeping her cause it may be a case where you can never trust her alone with the cats.
I did have her crated when I wasn't around. I even had her in the crate locked in the basement just in case last night. She was an angel in the crate, didn't whine or try to get out, just growled at me any time I walked by or said anything.

Originally Posted by white cat lover

IMO, if a 6 month old puppy has been through so much in her life that she'll bite someone & break skin that readily, she's going to grow up to be a very dangerous dog unless she falls into the right hands. Especially considering she's two very high energy stubborn breeds.

And let's face it....people like Momofmany who work hard with dogs are rare. I wish there were more owners like that.

I am very proud you opted to adopt such a "vicious" breed mix, but I am also very proud you recognize that she is a danger in your home. That not only are you not comfortable around her, but you also recognize that you cannot handle her, before it's too late.
Thank you so much for everything. I trust and admire your advice. And you made today the easiest it could possibly be.

Originally Posted by Sweet72947

She doesn't sound very stable however, and you must be prepared in case you need to have her euthanized.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Whitecatlover was awesome and helped me to understand that option.

Originally Posted by Isabel

I agree...I had a dog that bit (me, and it awas a severe bite) and it was very very difficult...and it can be a huge liability for you to, legally. I could never let my guard down with him, especially when other people were around. I NEVER could allow any children to be around him. He never bit anyone again, but the trust was gone. I don't know if I'd keep a dog like that again. Maybe if it is only adults and no other animals.
That's exactly how I feel about her. I don't want to constantly worry about people walking past my dog. You can't live in fear because of an unstable dog, and that's exactly how I feel about her.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An update.....

This afternoon when I saw her she wouldn't even wag her tail at me. She would be happy and wagging with my SO, but as soon as I came around she would get defensive and stand her ears up. She was getting really scary and I only had her for two days!

I called the shelter to tell them about what happened last night and today. The man I spoke with was worried about me and asked if I could bring her back to the shelter. And I did. I know this most likely means she will be put down, but I can't handle her and I can't put anyone else at risk.

Update:
My SO just called to tell me they took her profile off petfinder.

I'm so sorry Inky! I wish I would have been the first to take you home and give you the love you really needed.

aelurophile

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry this didn't work out but I think you are being much too hard on yourself. As others have mentioned, you have to look out for the health (and happiness) of the other pets too. It's possible that this dog could have (and may still) be "rehabbed" but it would have been horrible if you had kept it and something bad had happened to you or one of the other pets. And this doesn't necessarily mean the dog will be put down--just that the shelter will be very careful to place it in a home without other animals.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just so you know, her profile was gone from Petfinder earlier today, before you ever even took her in. It was gone around 11am ish.

I know you feel guilty, but know that you didn't risk yourself, your family, you kept the general public safe. You recognized when you were in over your head & sought help, no matter how much it sucked.

And sorry for rushing you off the phone, I was picking up Jack's ashes & about to be bawling.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just so you know, her profile was gone from Petfinder earlier today, before you ever even took her in. It was gone around 11am ish.

I know you feel guilty, but know that you didn't risk yourself, your family, you kept the general public safe. You recognized when you were in over your head & sought help, no matter how much it sucked.

And sorry for rushing you off the phone, I was picking up Jack's ashes & about to be bawling.
You have nothing to feel guilty about. Unfortunately she was "damaged" when you adopted her.
You did the right thing for everyone... including Inky!
for Natalie too!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aelurophile

I'm so sorry this didn't work out but I think you are being much too hard on yourself. As others have mentioned, you have to look out for the health (and happiness) of the other pets too. It's possible that this dog could have (and may still) be "rehabbed" but it would have been horrible if you had kept it and something bad had happened to you or one of the other pets. And this doesn't necessarily mean the dog will be put down--just that the shelter will be very careful to place it in a home without other animals.
I hope whatever they decide to do is the right thing to do.
Thank you

I called them at 11:30....hopefully they took it down because she was adopted
I'll keep an eye out for her on petfinder, but I won't keep my hopes up. I'm just glad it's not my choice to make, I would hate to be responsible for anything she does or might do to someone.

I didn't feel like you rushed me off the phone. I was on my way to class, so it wasn't a big deal at all.

Originally Posted by twstychik

You have nothing to feel guilty about. Unfortunately she was "damaged" when you adopted her.
You did the right thing for everyone... including Inky!
for Natalie too!
Thank you. It means a lot to me that others agree I did the right thing. I wanted to keep her and work with her so bad, but it was too dangerous. Especially with her growling at me and not wagging her tail. It was really getting to me that a dog that has the ability to cause great harm was aggressive towards me.

I still cry when I think about her. Yesterday I ran out of tears after I took her to the shelter. The people at the shelter were worried that I was crying because I was scarred of her or that my hand hurt, but I told them I was crying because I was sad for her

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are some more pictures of her.

She's such a beautiful dog!
I'm so sad to say she isn't my dog! My land was she hyper though!

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Honestly if she is put back on petfinder that is dangerous to the community the best thing is to have her put down and that is probably what the shelter will do. Either that or put in a foster home with a behaviorist who can work with her.

creativgirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
EnzoLeya, I'm so sorry that things didn't work out. Sending that someone comes along who is willing to work with her, and for you and your fur family as well.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

led them at 11:30....hopefully they took it down because she was adopted
I'll keep an eye out for her on petfinder, but I won't keep my hopes up. I'm just glad it's not my choice to make, I would hate to be responsible for anything she does or might do to someone.
In my county, if a cat or dog bites and breaks the skin, they automatically go into quarantine for 10 days, and are taken off all adoption sites. After the quarantine period is up, then they re-evaluate them.

I'm sorry it didn't work out, but I think you did the right thing.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone. I haven't heard from the shelter, I don't know if they will call me to tell me she doesn't have rabies or if I need to call them? I'm afraid to call, because then I will know for sure what happened to her.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just caught onto this thread and I want to say I think you did exactly the right thing. It is no good having a pet you are afraid of, especially one that can cause damage, has had a potentially abusive past and has already bitten you. You should be proud that you took the steps to adopt a potentially hard to adopt pet and I"m sure you still have room in your home and heart for a new baby and life to save, maybe a more laid back breed that won't pose such a danger. I would have been really afraid for my kitties for sure. If you aren't extremely experienced with these types of dogs and situations and the help they need it can go very wrong very quickly, especially when you are dealing with a pit bull cross, just because of how strong they are and all the media stuff........

Good luck and good vibes to the puppy whatever happens to her....

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If this helps you we had to take a Doberman back to the Pound once because she tried to attack the Cats and was very mean. My Sister took her to the no kill Pound instead of the kill Pound. We hated taking her back but it was not safe to have her.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

http://www.janfennellthedoglistener.com/

Whatever you do, do NOT go near Cesar Millan or anything he has to say. That man creates aggressive dogs - disguised as calm dogs - who are ticking time bombs. His methods have killed at least two dogs that the public knows about, he's been taken to court and he has no qualifications. Real behaviourists who know what they are doing absolutely abhor him and say that he has taken dog behaviour back by at least 20 years. Steer clear of him at all costs!
Unless you have facts to back up what you say and not HERESAY, then i suggest you be careful what you say. Your NOT a dog behaviorist. Cesar has worked with millions of dogs, and has turned them around. You dont have a right to say those things about him. His lessons have helped me with so called " bully breeds". He must know something, or else he would be in jail and not quite as famous if he goes around " killing dogs" as you say.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Liza24

Unless you have facts to back up what you say and not HERESAY, then i suggest you be careful what you say. Your NOT a dog behaviorist. Cesar has worked with millions of dogs, and has turned them around. You dont have a right to say those things about him. His lessons have helped me with so called " bully breeds". He must know something, or else he would be in jail and not quite as famous if he goes around " killing dogs" as you say.
I have to agree... I do NOT like many of his methods but in general he is NOT creating time bombs as MOST of his methods are based in OLDEN day dog training .... I licken it to all of us who did get a tap on the butt vs ohh stop that of the modern parent

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think you did the right thing by returning the dog. Just this weekend, an acquaintence of mine adopted a dog that was supposed to be good with cats; at the first dog-cat introduction, the dog broke loose and killed their cat. You have to put your family's and your resident pets' safety first.

A personal story: I had a SharPei that I PTS a few years ago. I raised her from a puppy, and she was 5 when she passed away. She was the most loyal, devoted dog I've ever known, but she was also aggressive with outsiders from day one. To make a long story short, I took her to a trainer, a behaviorist, and several vets, but when she snarled, lunged and snapped at the face of my 6yo neighbor boy as he walked up my sidewalk (thank God she was leashed), I knew I could not handle her anymore. I had a long talk with my vet, and he helped me understand that as much as I loved her, I could not risk her mauling my neighbors or my children's friends.

I still have a lot of guilt about this (I'm crying as I type this). I used to spend a lot of time thinking about "if only"s, things I should've/could've done differently. But now I kind of accept that I did the best I could for her with the knowledge and resources I had to work with.

I'm sorry that Inky wasn't safe for your family. I hope you find another dog that will be a perfect match. Perhaps, when you're ready to adopt another dog, try looking for a rescue dog who's been fostered with cats for a period of time. I know your kitties and your little dog love you for keeping them safe.