Help Toilet Training!

Brookediorio

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! So I have two cats (2yo, 6mo) that I started toilet training with the Litter Kwitter. Everything has gone just fine at the red stage, no accidents in the past two weeks (we’ve been on the red stage 3 weeks on the toilet). Today I started the amber stage and both cats seem to be really freaked out by the hole in the middle. The 6mo kept going in there to use the bathroom and I encouraged him but he’d just leave without going. I took the litter kwitter off and set it on the floor to use the bathroom myself and while it was on the floor he ran right over and peed in it (since he wasn’t floating above water). I now have the amber stage back on the toilet and am hoping having a scent in there will help. My 2yo hasn’t gone to the bathroom at all today since switching it out (but she goes less frequently than the kitten). Any advice if this is a normal first day reaction to the amber stage or what I can do to make them more comfortable? I don’t think going back would be beneficial because we’ll just run into the fear as soon as we switch so they need to be introduced at some point.

Note: I am committed to toilet training so want to stick to solving the problem, not backlash in using this method- TIA.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really think you need to be careful here and provide a second option. It's dangerous if your cats don't feel comfortable using the litter box, and I think could lead to crystals in the urine or a uti, especially for a male.