Help, Think My Kitten Is Dying!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Interesting to see how sometimes overcoming the worst crisis gives immediately a total improvement.

This learn us to fight on Not " letting nature take its course"

He perhaps was very low on blood sugars. If so they can often become lethargic and seem to be fading.

Giving pedialyte and smearing lips and gum helps against this condition too.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

msCJ82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on this evening:

He is seeming to do great and back to normal. I gave him some more wet kitten food mixed with some of that electrolyte,, solution two times today as well as another dose of the antibiotics just to be on the safe side.

He has been nursing and eating wet and dry food very well, and even seen him go in the litter box for the first time ever!

He's been playing and being a normal kitten, maybe a little bit slower than the other ones but that is to be expected given the fact that this time last night he was literally dying. But he is definitely on the up-and-up.

I got a call today from a woman who wants to adopt both of the brothers as soon as they are 8 weeks, I was very happy as she seems to be a perfect fit-being a single older women and looking for a couple companions that look like her previous pets. I hung up the phone crying and laughing at the same time- both thankful and saddened because naturally, I've become extremely attached to these two given the current and previous circumstances. But I am very excited for them!

I am still watching them both like a hawk, and any little slow movement or stumble makes me freak out and hope that it's not a sign that they are going downhill. Which can be a little difficult to distinguish the difference between being a typical kitten only 5 weeks old, and one that is deteriorating. But at least I'm watching them closely.

ON A SIDE NOTE,
I did notice something somewhat beautifully strange, the kitten that was sick last night, had crawled up to me and looked me right in the eyes and started licking my chin and even tried to lick on my lips, I tried to pull away because it tickled, and he put his paw up on my chin, with his claws out to pull me closer and he just looked at me for literally a minute straight...it was almost as if he was saying thank you....

most intense look Ive ever experienced between myself and an animal...

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please try to keep the kittens with Mom until they are 10-12 weeks at least. They continue learning cat manners until they are older than 8 weeks, even if they are weaned.

Do you need help finding a low cost spay / neuter clinic in your area? Mom can be spayed when the babies are 8 weeks, and she can then continue to nurse.

So glad the little ones seem to be doing ok. Can we see some photos?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, do not adopt out the kittens until 12 weeks. They absolutely need the additional time with mom and each other.