Help, Think My Kitten Is Dying!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, dextrose can often be found in home brew shops... a very niche thing, usually only found in larger cities (or online).

Some commercial bakeries also use dextrose for their breads and I suppose they get it from a commercial supply/distributor.

Unfortunately that does not help with the current situation. Honey or white (clear, not yellow) Karo is your best shot at the moment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msCJ82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok, I'm doing drop by drop. he will swallow after a few seconds. I've given him 2ml in the past 30 minutes, so this is definitely drop by drop. Thad mmm you for the replies, I really appreciate it. im so sad and keep looking into his eyes, that seem empty. but he's breathing, very shallow:( :(

msCJ82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
should I go buy some Pedialyte?? if I should, I. so scatter ttyl leave him.. It will take me 30 mins...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pedialyte is a little better, because it contains real glucose. Cant you phone and ask some neigbour to run and buy for you?

If there are several brands to choose amongst, buy this flavorless colorless for infants - ie human babies. The flavored brands are better than nothing, but homemade what you already have, is really better.
what do I do if he doesn't swallow? I know this isn't a good sign, but I'm trying like hell through these tears! I put one drop from a syringe and it just say in his mouth. I tried running his throat, closing his mouth. after about 3 min he finally swallowed.
should I go buy some Pedialyte?? if I should, I. so scatter ttyl leave him.. It will take me 30 mins...

msCJ82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE;

as I was giving him drops, he suddenly jumped out of the blanket, stumbling and stared to claw horribly as I tried to pick him up. he then even made a hiss but his tongue was still sticking out a bit, as if he had no control. then he went limp again. this happen twice. is this a good sign? but now he's out of it and in a coma like state. but the second time, he walked away, and clawed me like he was panicking.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds alike some sort of cramping, convulsions, so its not good. Possibly what to wait in his exhausted situation... You can only proceed with the homemade pedialyte and pray, its the only to try with.

msCJ82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
he jumped up Again and walked away, wobbly. but mama Cat came and he found his way to her even though it look like he was drunk. He is now nursing on her this is a great sign correct?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, its a good sign. Lets hope for the best.

Continue with additions of this fluid, and massage him, when you can.

msCJ82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't believe that 20 minutes ago, he wad limp his eyes were glazed over, and wouldn't even blank if I touch them. I had to check to see if he was breathing. I would lift up his head and it would just fall down. And now he's actually sucking on the nipple and nursing. I couldn't even get him to swallow a single drop from the syringe until about 20 seconds into it I really hope this keeps up, she tried to get up but I put food in front of her so she would lay down and continue letting him nurse but when he tried to crawl towards her he still really wobbly but at least he's sucking

msCJ82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
his head is still hard to hold up but he's trying, she keeps getting up and he tries to follow her and latches on as soon as he can and as hard as he can. I don't know really what else to do to make her nurse him, you can tell he knows that he needs it. Even when she stood up he still was latched on and she even drug him a little bit

msCJ82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
what do I do at this point? I'm tri b to stay awake as long as I can, it is 4:40 a.m. what do I do if I fall asleep? Do I put him in an isolated area like the kennel? Normally the babies will sleep somewhere around the living room they usually pick one of their beds that are made. But I'm worried that if he stumbles somewhere and get stuck or if I can't find him. I also don't want to lock him in the kennel without being able to nurse on the mom

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you lock both him and mom/kittens somewhere, liked a small room with a litter box, etc. At least it would keep her close. He definitely needs to suckle until he is full and sleeps, then you could get some rest too. Can you pet mama, give her treats, until he is full and content?

msCJ82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yea, I DoD that and she nursed for about 20 min but he' still trying to nurse. I'm going to put her and the kittens in the walk in closet. it's all set hip as one of her birthing areas that she never used, do this will work! thank you all so much for helping me through this. truly! I hope he naked it through, he's definitely better than he was...ill update u when I wake up!

msCJ82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank u! I am so exhausted from worry and tears! it's worth it tho, if it means he survives! I'm still worried, but I feel whatever wad done obviously helped and got him going and I know he'll be able to nurse allot more now that they r in one spot. I' think I should go get some Pedialyte and KMR and use that a little for the next day, or what do u think? if this was purely dehydration, then I'll really need to keep an eye out. I have water and kitten chow set out in 2 places as well as wet food mixed with water that I give them daily. the only reason I have the kitten chow out, is bee cause I see 3 of then eating their mom's. it surprised me because I had just introduced wet food to them a few days prior. so I don't know how he got that dehydrated. if this was the issue, which seems like it is. There was 2 of them that were not taking to the food as well as the rest, perhaps these were the 2 males that both fell ill....? they are all black and outs really hard to tell then apart

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you get him to the vet today for fluids and antibiotics?

Poor baby!

msCJ82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well, he made it! he was jumping and running around! I kept mom and babies in the closet overnight. When I went to check on them, there he was kicking and playing with his siblings. I brought them out and set up more food and water as well as wet food. He went right over to the wet food that I had mixed with some of that solution that I used last night just for him. He dug right in and ate/drink a lot! and he's been nursing allot! I will call the vet tomorrow and see what they think, but I think if he keeps this up, he should be fine!

talk about a miracle! He was literally lifeless other than slow shallow breathing. I cannot believe that he is able to walk and jump around and is acting like nothing ever happened. I am so thankful to everyone who helped me on here at all who prayed!!!!