Help, Think My Kitten Is Dying!

msCJ82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had 5 kittens almost 5 weeks ago.

A couple days ago, one of the males was not doing well at all. He was not moving, not blinking but breathing, I took him to the vet where they took blood and said things appeared fine but needed to do a more extensive blood test which I couldn't afford on top of everything else.

They ended up giving him antibiotics, and a hearty dose of fluids on his back. As soon as we got home he was awake and wanting to run around. I figured it was just him being dehydrated because he has been a hundred percent fine ever since.

well now today I have the other male kitten, who is showing the same exact signs except I seen him vomit a small amount and it appears he has diarrhea. I only seen a little bit of residue on him but enough to know that it's diarrhea. I went ahead and gave him some water through the syringe that the vet gave me, as well as a dose of the antibiotics in hopes that this is just the same thing.

But he seems to be a lot worse, he threw up about 20 minutes after I gave him the water, nothing really came up but he gagged pretty bad. I have him wrapped up in towels laying by me. My vet is not open until Monday so I'm here hoping somebody can try to shed some light.

I have no idea what is going on, as the other kittens are all bouncing balls of joy. Even the sick one is completely better, so it seems. The funny thing is, is there is only two males in this litter and both of them are the only ones who are sick. He's not moving, his eyes are glazed over, but breathing. I'm not sure what else to do, or what this could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pedialyte or water with honey and a little salt in helps when they have diarrhea.
You can also smear a sweet solution of water and honey or white caro sugar pn lips and gum.
It gives quick energy .
Do it asap immediately.
M msCJ82

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msCJ82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok. I have some organic honey, I'll do it right now! just on the lips, right?

msCJ82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok, I did that and as soon as I put it on his lips and gums he jumped up but then he slowly fell over and is just laying there with his mouth a little open and tongue protruding just a little bit, his eyes are somewhat open, but doesn't blink, doesn't move but he is breathing

msCJ82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:bawling::confused2::sniffle:what is causing this??? help...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yeah if he is really ill nothing will help much.
This here with honey water on lips and gum is useful try helps sometimes.

Sorry it sounds the kitten is dying. Comfort massage and pray

msCJ82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the only thing that throws me off, is the other one looked the same way, and i thought he was dying. he was lifeless, and barely breathing but after that shot of fluids and antibiotic, literally 20 minutes later, he was walking and meowing and running aroundand doing great now... so what are the chances this is something different but had the same symptoms?? I gave him water, shouldn't that have helped, just like when the vet have the other over some?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes water some honey and a trifle salt in should help. As its essentiellt this the vet injected in purified form.
He gave more of course. Such injection was perhaps 100 ml at once. While you give perhaps 5 ml.

msCJ82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so should I mix some salt with water and put it in a syringe and give it to him? I have no clue if he'll swallow it..if I did a drop at a time possibly. if I should, how much salt and water?

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe StefanZ StefanZ is recommending a homemade version of kitten electrolyte solution as found on Gentle Paws
  • A homemade version of an electrolyte solution is: one teaspoon salt, three teaspoons sugar mixed into one quart of warm water.
It's been a long time since I nursed kittens, but that site seems to cover a lot of bases. Keeping fingers crossed that the little one hangs in there.

msCJ82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
what do I do if he doesn't swallow? I know this isn't a good sign, but I'm trying like hell through these tears! I put one drop from a syringe and it just say in his mouth. I tried running his throat, closing his mouth. after about 3 min he finally swallowed.

msCJ82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
is this normal at almost 5 weeks?

I believe StefanZ StefanZ is recommending a homemade version of kitten electrolyte solution as found on Gentle Paws
  • A homemade version of an electrolyte solution is: one teaspoon salt, three teaspoons sugar mixed into one quart of warm water.
It's been a long time since I nursed kittens, but that site seems to cover a lot of bases. Keeping fingers crossed that the little one hangs in there.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When I talk about honey, i really mean glucose sugar = dextrose. But this seems difficult to get in USA. Honey and white caro syrup does contain much glucose, so we use this instead.
1 cup of water, 150 ml, 1 teaspoon of honey, a tiny trifle salt, not much, you barely feel the taste. Use minerale salt if you have a choice.
(begin with the salt, so you barely feel the taste. Honey is sweeter than glucose sugar, so you will surely feel its sweetish. If you manage to find glucose sugar proper you can give 1,5 teaspoons.).

This is essentially the same as the WHO recipe doing marvels against diarrhea and severly dehydration.

And yes, give with a needleless syringe in the corner of the mouth, tummy down, head up, as much as you can. And again, and again...

The vet injected a purified and sterile solution of water, glucose sugar and salts, so its essentially the same as you will try to give per mouth.
As it worked almost immediately, it was this subcutane watering up which worked, not the antibiotics. M msCJ82

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glucose sugar is better than common sugar. Because common sugar must be digested. While glucose sugar is absorbed direclty into blood already in mouth and thorough the entire intestine system.
So, although some receipts do mention common sugar, glucose sugar (in USA honey or white caro syrup) are better.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Hun, I'm sorry, it's been ages since I had kittens in the house. The sudden onset of symptoms does seem odd to me, but I have no idea what could be the cause.
I'd say keep on trying with the electrolyte solution, drop by drop. Pray the little guy hangs in there until you can get him to the vet.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In Sweden we dont have the probleme, here is glucose sugar = dextrose, dextropur easy to find. Both 1kg packages on the baking shelves, as candy, and also in shops for athletes and sport. As glucose sugar is of course much used by sportsmen and sportwomen.

In USA one forumite mentioned once he found it in a shop for making own homemade beer. Its the only one whom ever mentioned glucose sugar for common citizens in USA...
It may be the brandname is totally different, that is why nobody finds it. I dont have any possibility to check it out, Im not living in USA.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That is why its much easier for the vet to give it with an injection. When they are very weak this is the quieckest and easiest. This is same with totally exhausted and dehydrated humans, btw! You can often see it in extreme sport trials.

As you dont have the vet at this moment, its just to try on and on for you.
Unless some friendly doctor will do it. The solution is essentially the same. Its only if a doctor or nurse are willing to work with a kitten in a emergency....

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nay, this is not common in 5 weeks kittens. Its crash emergency here.

Although its fiarly common with totally dehydrated cats and humans - no strengh at all, nor will to survive. You must force in them the lifesaving fluids.