Help these babies....

Rebeccaa.d143

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My grandma has 3 cats she recently passed I took them in 2 of them are scaredy cats one of them is scared frfr these cats have always had a litter box in there own room I just dnt have space for that and cant stand the smell I'm wanting to train them somehow to go outside to use the bathroom but idk how with the ond being so afraid I dont want to throw her out side and leave her there but I cant have her going in my house this one cat she is scared of everything even the other cats she only comes out in the middle of the night when everyone us asleep please any ideas are appreciated

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry about your grandma dying. Well done for taking them in . That is the beginning for you of a journey and I know there is a lot of wisdom here.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry about your grandmother. And, thank you for stepping in to care for her cats. Are you planning on keeping them? How long have you had them?

They are going to be afraid, some more than the others, for quite a while - they are getting used to another home, another caretaker, and everything is strange to them. The first rule of thumb is to never let cats outside in an unfamiliar home/neighborhood until well after they have adapted to their new home inside. So, I would hope that you can find a way to give them a litter box (or two - how many did your grandmother have for them?) somewhere within the confines of your home.

Secondly, when bringing cats into a new environment, it is best to initially confine them to a single room - what becomes their 'safe zone'. It enables them to start learning to be comfortable with one area at a time. It is much less scary to them that way. Having familiar possessions from their old home goes a long way in helping with the adaptation - food/water dishes, beds/blankets/towels, toys, litter boxes, same food, same litter, etc.

You need to recognize it may not be possible to 're-train' indoor cats to use the outside for their bathroom. Did they spend time outdoors at your grandmothers? If so, that could be a plus for you in the future, but not right now. What kind of home do you live in, and is there any chance to make a cat enclosure immediately outside your home that could eventually be a place to locate litter boxes for them? A handyman could easily, and fairly inexpensively, make a cat enclosure for them.

Maybe there are some tips/ideas in these articles that you might find helpful, and perhaps allow you to feel like there are things you can do to accommodate these cats - and you.

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles
15 Things You Should Know Before Adopting A Cat – TheCatSite Articles
How Often Should You Clean The Litter Box? – TheCatSite Articles
Cat Enclosures – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rebeccaa.d143

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry about your grandmother. And, thank you for stepping in to care for her cats. Are you planning on keeping them? How long have you had them?

They are going to be afraid, some more than the others, for quite a while - they are getting used to another home, another caretaker, and everything is strange to them. The first rule of thumb is to never let cats outside in an unfamiliar home/neighborhood until well after they have adapted to their new home inside. So, I would hope that you can find a way to give them a litter box (or two - how many did your grandmother have for them?) somewhere within the confines of your home.

Secondly, when bringing cats into a new environment, it is best to initially confine them to a single room - what becomes their 'safe zone'. It enables them to start learning to be comfortable with one area at a time. It is much less scary to them that way. Having familiar possessions from their old home goes a long way in helping with the adaptation - food/water dishes, beds/blankets/towels, toys, litter boxes, same food, same litter, etc.

You need to recognize it may not be possible to 're-train' indoor cats to use the outside for their bathroom. Did they spend time outdoors at your grandmothers? If so, that could be a plus for you in the future, but not right now. What kind of home do you live in, and is there any chance to make a cat enclosure immediately outside your home that could eventually be a place to locate litter boxes for them? A handyman could easily, and fairly inexpensively, make a cat enclosure for them.

Maybe there are some tips/ideas in these articles that you might find helpful, and perhaps allow you to feel like there are things you can do to accommodate these cats - and you.

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles
15 Things You Should Know Before Adopting A Cat – TheCatSite Articles
How Often Should You Clean The Litter Box? – TheCatSite Articles
Cat Enclosures – TheCatSite Articles

So the cats are familiar with me they grew up being around me every day the scaredy one her name is kitty baby she used to be so scared she never came out of hiding and I just spent a little time with her everday for about a yr to get her out of her shell but she is still very timid then there's the male chucky he is fixed because he was a major asshole and it couldn't be avoided he is still a dick but he's just grumpy and then mama kitty shes obsessed with me she sleeps with me she kneads on me stares at me protects me when I use the bathroom lol shes obsessed chucky and mama they go out side mama more than chucky but they're pretty comfortable out side but kitty baby not so much she goes to the door maybe outside if no one is around ... i do plan on keeping them tho my grandma had one litter box and it never got changed like it should so they pooped where they could in the room or in the dirty clothes or on the couch u know how cats are .... unfortunately there is no room like that at my house and we have a new baby so we need this to work and fast the cats are champs tho they live with a pit bull and a 5 yr old so I have confidence I just would like to try to figure it out before it gets cold but no I do not plan on getting rid of any of them I'm just going to tuff it out with them as long as I need to 🤷‍♀️

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The cats I know who are indoor outdoor still generally need a litter box inside. You might consider trying out different litters and seeing which one smells best to you. Cleaning it multiple times a day also helps with the offensive odor. So does making the litter extra deep (if they'll tolerate it.) I know it is super hard with kids and dogs, so it was very generous of you to take them in. I have a 4 year old, am pregnant and have and a pit bull too! (and some cats)