Help The Kitties At My Local Rural Shelter!

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. :)

So my family volunteers at our local animal shelter. They are a rural shelter (in south Georgia), and when we first started going there they were not in good shape. Recently they have come under new management and are really making some improvements. However, they always need donations. So, I made an Amazon wish list for their kitties to post here. I put in their address so any donations will ship straight to the shelter!

Here are some pictures of the kitties I saw there today:

kitty1.jpg
kitty2.jpg
kitty3.jpg
kitty4.jpg

Today they had 10 black cats! (I didn't get pictures of all of them)

kitty1.jpg
kitty2.jpg
kitty3.jpg

This girl (above) had a little black kitten.
kitty4.jpg
kitty5.jpg
kitty6.jpg
kitty7.jpg
kitty8.jpg
kitty9.jpg
kitty10.jpg

kitty5.jpg
kitty6.jpg

kitty7.jpg

kitty8.jpg
kitty10.jpg
kitty9.jpg

And here's the link to the Amazon wishlist if anyone can donate: :happycat:Your List :happycat:
You can sort the list by price and priority. If you are wanting to know specific needs they have right now, today when we went they were completely out of cat litter. And the kittens say they want toys. :winkcat:

If you donate and want to know that the shelter got your items, you can either message them on Facebook and ask (here is their Facebook: Fitzgerald-Ben Hill County Humane Society), or call them (their number is on their Facebook page) and ask.

Also, when I go back to the shelter, if I see any donated items from the Amazon wishlist I will take a picture and update this thread with it. :) I made a wishlist a few months ago with dog and cat items (to post on Facebook), and saw a couple things were donated from it the next time I went to the shelter.

The kitties would also really appreciate some stretch and scratch pads. The last time we went, they had some, but this time they were gone (used up). They were really missing them, when I put one kitty in a carrier to clean his cage he tried to sharpen his claws on the side. If anyone wants to donate any of these here's the link (they aren't on Amazon so I couldn't add them to the list there): Order Scratchers Now!

When you check out on the stretch and scratch website just put in the shelter's address and they will ship the scratchers there, you can find it on their Facebook but I will paste it here too:

Fitzgerald-Ben Hill County Humane Society
106 Lions Park Rd
Fitzgerald, GA 31750-8883
United States

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks so much for reading and if you can donate the kitties would appreciate it! :lovecat: :catrub:

Every time we go I want to adopt one but we already have 8 cats. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How cute are those babies! :loveeyes: I especially like that cow kitty. So adorable. But really, that are just all little cutie pies.

Just wanted to pass this along...one of our long time members posted that for black cats to be adopted easier, on adoption day, dress them up in baby onesies. It just makes them stand out and look so incredibly adorable. she said it works wonders for adoptability.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How cute are those babies! :loveeyes: I especially like that cow kitty. So adorable. But really, that are just all little cutie pies.

Just wanted to pass this along...one of our long time members posted that for black cats to be adopted easier, on adoption day, dress them up in baby onesies. It just makes them stand out and look so incredibly adorable. she said it works wonders for adoptability.
Good idea!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was it necessary to block out the address on the wishlist? Would be better for verification if it were unblocked.

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Was it necessary to block out the address on the wishlist? Would be better for verification if it were unblocked.
I didn't block it out, Amazon automatically does that. I'm not sure how to unblock it or why Amazon hides it "for privacy". :ohwell:
The best verification I can give you is below.

The shelter's address:

106 Lions Park Rd
United States

If you copy and paste the address into your search bar, the shelter's Facebook and pictures of it on Google maps should appear. It should look similar to this if you are using Google:

And the address is on the City of Fitzgerald's website: https://www.fitzgeraldga.org/humane-society.html

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The poor kitties sound like they need quiet a few supplies! Sent that scratching post along their way. We have the same one.

Edit:
Just noticed they really need the stretch and scratch. I'll cancel the post and get those instead.

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The poor kitties sound like they need quiet a few supplies! Sent that scratching post along their way. We have the same one.

Edit:
Just noticed they really need the stretch and scratch. I'll cancel the post and get those instead.
Thank you so much!! :rock::cutecat: They REALLY love the stretch and scratch, especially kittens. :D

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Note that this reminder is posted in all threads asking for donations and is not directed at any specific person.

From the Mods:
To all members, a reminder that it is YOUR responsibility to check out these solicitors to the best of your ability. Ask for references, phone numbers, call around the area and find out if this is a legitimate cause or a scam. Thecatsite.com does not stand behind any solicitation of funds for any reason that appear in the forums unless explicitly authorized. Be very careful before you send any money: no matter how effective the plea is, check it out first before opening your wallet. For more information, see Pleas for Money.

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. :)

So my family volunteers at our local animal shelter. They are a rural shelter (in south Georgia), and when we first started going there they were not in good shape. Recently they have come under new management and are really making some improvements. However, they always need donations. So, I made an Amazon wish list for their kitties to post here. I put in their address so any donations will ship straight to the shelter!

Here are some pictures of the kitties I saw there today:

Today they had 10 black cats! (I didn't get pictures of all of them)

This girl (above) had a little black kitten.

And here's the link to the Amazon wishlist if anyone can donate:
:happycat:Your List :happycat:
You can sort the list by price and priority. If you are wanting to know specific needs they have right now, today when we went they were completely out of cat litter. And the kittens say they want toys. :winkcat:

If you donate and want to know that the shelter got your items, you can either message them on Facebook and ask (here is their Facebook: Fitzgerald-Ben Hill County Humane Society), or call them (their number is on their Facebook page) and ask.

Also, when I go back to the shelter, if I see any donated items from the Amazon wishlist I will take a picture and update this thread with it. :) I made a wishlist a few months ago with dog and cat items (to post on Facebook), and saw a couple things were donated from it the next time I went to the shelter.

The kitties would also really appreciate some stretch and scratch pads. The last time we went, they had some, but this time they were gone (used up). They were really missing them, when I put one kitty in a carrier to clean his cage he tried to sharpen his claws on the side. If anyone wants to donate any of these here's the link (they aren't on Amazon so I couldn't add them to the list there): Order Scratchers Now!

When you check out on the stretch and scratch website just put in the shelter's address and they will ship the scratchers there, you can find it on their Facebook but I will paste it here too:

106 Lions Park Rd
United States

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks so much for reading and if you can donate the kitties would appreciate it! :lovecat: :catrub:

Every time we go I want to adopt one but we already have 8 cats. :D

Thanks to kittyluv387 kittyluv387 for donating some stretch and scratch scratchers!! :clap2:

Every time I go to the shelter I can't stop thinking about the poor kitties afterwards. . . that's what prompted me to make this. :)

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Thanks to kittyluv387 kittyluv387 for donating some stretch and scratch scratchers!! :clap2:

Every time I go to the shelter I can't stop thinking about the poor kitties afterwards. . . that's what prompted me to make this. :)
Bump!

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Adding a bump from California! Georgia cats are very fortunate to have you looking out for them :heartshape::cheerleader::angel3::rock:
Thanks so much. :) Almost all of the county shelters in South GA have very low funding and are overwhelmed with cats (a lot of people don't/can't afford to spay/neuter here), so they always need donations.

I got my kitty Ember from our local dump which has a cat colony. I looked into TNR groups that might be able to help but there aren't any anywhere near there (the dump is very rural), and the couple I did find were already low on funding. :ohwell:

Last edited:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you seen the Tift County GA post here? I hope that as we uncover resources in your state, we can get good things flowing your way as well. My heart aches for those dump kitties....years ago, I saw feral dog packs in rural KY and it was so brutal; the dogs were literally dripping with ticks and all the males were tormenting a long haired female dachshund. I wanted to rescue her & she almost made it to me before the pack overtook her and some of the dogs charged me. Being out of state, I had no weapons on me and had to retreat to the rental car.

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you seen the Tift County GA post here? I hope that as we uncover resources in your state, we can get good things flowing your way as well. My heart aches for those dump kitties....years ago, I saw feral dog packs in rural KY and it was so brutal; the dogs were literally dripping with ticks and all the males were tormenting a long haired female dachshund. I wanted to rescue her & she almost made it to me before the pack overtook her and some of the dogs charged me. Being out of state, I had no weapons on me and had to retreat to the rental car.
Yes, I have seen that post. I was very happy when I saw it--TCS members helping the kitties near me!
I hope we can help fix things here too in terms of pet overpopulation. The more people/groups that can help, the better!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellocat: Now that Hurricane Florence is leaving the country, we might be able to get attention back to the everyday emergencies that shelters and rescues are dealing with. It has been a long, expensive month so far but my prayers are up that next month will be better :vibes::vibes::vibes:

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:hellocat: Now that Hurricane Florence is leaving the country, we might be able to get attention back to the everyday emergencies that shelters and rescues are dealing with. It has been a long, expensive month so far but my prayers are up that next month will be better :vibes::vibes::vibes:
Yes. I can only imagine what they are dealing with there.
I'm hopefully going to be going back to the shelter before next month, so I will try to get more pics to post then.