Help! Something is eating my cat.

KittyRoyale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, it's being a while since I made a post . So the thing is that I made an advancement in career with a job I love Soo much ( Teaching Preschool 🤗) but it keeps me away from home most times. So my mum moved in with me to help care for my litter. Well the litter has grown. I had 8 cats and 4 was just adopted this year. My Queen cat Sona had three kittens last Christmas and two where booked for adoption but I asked the prospective owners to wait untill I have trained them very well and covered most of there basic medicals. My pain is that a week ago something attacked one of the new kittens and ate it.....leaving only the one leg and the tail. I have been away from home since this month and this got me worried as I dont know of any creature in the neighbourhood that could feast on my cat. I got another call from Mom now saying that another kitten has been eating and my cats won't go outside. She tried sending them out but they scram right back inside and stay on my bed. This time the head of the kitten and most of the chest/Brest was consumed. I am really worried and don't know the first step to take. I just confirmed that another family's cat was eating too. But that was a week ago. Please what could this be and what can I do?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Knowing very little about kittens my mind goes to the mom killing (& eating) kittens when she is stressed or the baby is sick. Also predators will eat the baby kittens given a chance.

Can you isolate mom (& the kittens) in a quiet room and keep an eye on them? Keep on eye on the kittens and make sure they are getting enough milk and are disease free?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyRoyale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Knowing very little about kittens my mind goes to the mom killing (& eating) kittens when she is stressed or the baby is sick. Also predators will eat the baby kittens given a chance.

Can you isolate mom (& the kittens) in a quiet room and keep an eye on them? Keep on eye on the kittens and make sure they are getting enough milk and are disease free?
Thanks for your prompt response, my kittens don't eat raw meat even when the kill rodents and other creatures there has never been a case of them eating raw meat. And Sona isn't the kind of Cat that would feed off her kitten. My friend has a pet guinea pig and pigeons and the have cohabited very well and play together when ever the go on vacations there. There has never been a case of attack like this. The kittens are very playful and healthy and the bigger cats according to my mom have refused to go outside since Saturday. I wonder what kind of predators that can attack cats and feed on them in an urban neighbourhood apart from the regular snakes that is common

KittyRoyale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay I just got a call now from the neighborhood watch that a Civet Cat was spotted twice 3 nights ago. Could they do that? If yes what do I do?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Lots of animals will kill and eat kittens. I've known foxes, crows and raccoon dogs take kittens that are small enough. Really you shouldn't be letting your cats outside at all, but particularly not kittens that are only a few months old. Please keep the whole family safely inside, it's the only way to protect them.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be anything, from raccoons to dogs to owls that could be eating your kittens. It would NOT be a snake, they swallow their prey whole. Civet cats feed on small animals, which a kitten certainly is. The thing is, since something is killing kittens, if you want them to survive they must be kept in a cage or inside, a shed, garage, or house. Kittens are seen as prey and it is not uncommon for them to disappear.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember when my cousin's farm kittens were being eaten, they decided it was a raccoon. I don't know if that's a guess or if they saw it. But a civet cat would probably do the same.

Not a bird of prey, a canine animal, or a snake, because those wouldn't leave the remains.

Keep the kitties safely indoors, that's really the only thing to do.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's become the norm in many places to let cats free roam outside, but there is no where on earth that is safe to do so. This norm needs to change. PLEASE keep your cats inside. Also please get everyone who is healthy spayed and neutered soon!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Coyotes also come to mind. And don't think that because you live in a populated area that your cats are safe from coyotes. I lived in Chattanooga, TN for several years, and there was (and probably still is) a pack of about 30 coyotes living in the downtown area! They were doing an excellent job of rodent control, but took their fair share of stray cats and small dogs, as well. Since you mention that a neighbor's cat (adult) was also eaten, I'm leaning towards something coyote-sized, that could certainly take down and eat an adult cat.

As humans encroach more and more on these (and other) predators, they will be more and more present in our communities. Cats are not safe outside.

KittyRoyale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Soo much guys 🥰! So far my kittens are now indoors. Turns out whatever it is was is strong enough to tear through a wired fence into a neighboring poultry and made away with a large hen after killing some young chicks. Probably the size of a fox or bigger but we don't have foxes here. So long thank you guys Soo much. How do I reduce the temptation of going out? Am not very comfortable with cages and they get violent when locked in a cages. Right now mom says they are by the window waiting and also for the door to open. What can I do to keep them happy indoors? Sona's sister Gifa returned late yesterday with scratch marks, and a bite mark to the neck. Mom is at the vet with her now☹ vet is giving her rabies shots too. No official report yet. She is bleeding from the nose. Am worried for her. Am traveling home tomorrow

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
How about making them a catio they can access from a window in your house? If you Google catios you'll see lots of great ideas. You'd have to keep them indoors at night and only allow them out when someone is at home, but they'd be a lot safer.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh no =( My heart breaks hearing this.

I won't repeat keeping your cats inside since I know everyone has told you/you said you are now, which is great! But I'm still so very sorry to hear that this happened to you and your kittens.

Norachan suggested a catio! which I honestly think is a GREAT idea. To add to that, what about walking them? I know they make little kitty harnesses that you can buy and use to walk your kitties outside.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We have been (mostly) successful transitioning Olive from outdoor to indoor. It only works for us to go cold turkey or she starts howling and clawing at the windows. The other day we blackened some chicken and cracked the window in the kitchen and she has been inconsolable for the last few days. It does fade eventually though. When we first brought her in as an adult stray, everytime she tried to get out we would play with her. Constant play really helps, and other indoor stimulation like cat trees and perches.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could have an exotic pet loose? If it was illegal, less chance of the owner telling anyone about it being missing! Just a thought since it doesn't sound like you have big predators around naturally. Does anyone have CCTV/security/game cameras in the neighborhood? Might set one up! I grew up nearish to a zoo and occasionally an animal would escape. One time a wolf (we naturally have coyotes but the wolves are further north) and another time the area had severe flooding and a bunch of animals swam over the fences! We also had a wallaby get loose from an exotic pet owner (I grew up in the suburbs of Minneapolis, no native wallabies there lol)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK, guys, when discussing catios, don't forget this part of the post:
Turns out whatever it is was is strong enough to tear through a wired fence into a neighboring poultry and made away with a large hen after killing some young chicks.
This might help:

And somewhere, I believe, there is a very good article about how to stop cats from rushing an open door, but I CAN'T FIND IT! I'll keep trying!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could have an exotic pet loose?
I assume the OP lives in a place where civet cats are native wildlife.

If an enclosure is built, use heavy-gauge wire fencing and sturdy wood supports. Chicken wire is fairly easy for predators to tear through but heavier wire should stop anything short of a bear or a buffalo ;).

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was about to go with a coyote or bobcat since they are very common in urban areas of the U.S. and will definitely eat kittens, but since you mentioned a civet cat was in your area, that tells me you are not from the U.S. I had to look up what a civet cat was. I had never heard of it. I can't be much help, since I don't know what kind of wildlife you have in your area, but I wish you luck. Just follow the advice that others have given about securing your cats and kittens in the house or an outdoor enclosure, and hopefully that will keep them safe.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. I live in a place with many predators too. I had to transition all these kitties to indoors only. Giving them lots of things to play with a lots of places to climb up on as well as windows to look out of has kept them all happy. Shelving that acts as a pathway up high is something kitties love. The predators I had here at the time I brought them in could have gotten to them inside any enclosure but they get lots of attention and over a bit of time have become very content inside. Only one of them still desires to take a walk outside but she is afraid to be out without me. I got her a sturdy harness and she has learned to walk with me on a leash. It may take practice in the house first with a harness and leash but if any desire to go outside, this can keep them safe. A catio is a wonderful place for kitties as long as you can build it to withstand the local predators. Using metal hardware mesh instead of wire is advisable. Using many wooden or metal crosspieces over the mesh will help to keep the panels from being pushed in. A strong frame around each panel as well. If you need more suggestions to help your kitties to adapt, please do post back. There are lots of wonderful people here who can add tips and more help. Please, Let us know how you and kitties are doing.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Soo much guys 🥰! So far my kittens are now indoors. Turns out whatever it is was is strong enough to tear through a wired fence into a neighboring poultry and made away with a large hen after killing some young chicks. Probably the size of a fox or bigger but we don't have foxes here. So long thank you guys Soo much. How do I reduce the temptation of going out? Am not very comfortable with cages and they get violent when locked in a cages. Right now mom says they are by the window waiting and also for the door to open. What can I do to keep them happy indoors? Sona's sister Gifa returned late yesterday with scratch marks, and a bite mark to the neck. Mom is at the vet with her now☹ vet is giving her rabies shots too. No official report yet. She is bleeding from the nose. Am worried for her. Am traveling home tomorrow
You could try harness and leash training, carry a cat backpack to put the one you're walking up if danger arises or carry a weapon if you need to. I'd do this later in a few months though as going from freely walking to being on harness is confusing for cats.