Help something happened to my cat!

MistyL83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a stray cat that has taken up at my home and I been feeding him ect. He takes food but doesnt want to come to us or nothing. Today my door was open n he came in. Wow were getting somewhere right? WRONG... He came in because something has happened to his chest. It's not bleeding but something tore the top layer off of it and it's a big open spot. He doesn't seem to be hurting but it looks gross. I have enclosed picture of what I could get. Because he gets sketchy if I get near but I have him locked in my home and am hoping he don't eat me alive to take him to the vet. What does anyone think this could be from what am I looking at will it heal on its own ect??

Attachments

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Probably a fight with another cat. Especially as he has taken refuge inside your house. Unknown whether it would heal, but a vet is absolutely the best course of action. They can close the wound and administer antibiotics. Make sure they give him a shot, as it is unlikely you would be able to pill him.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor guy, who knows what that is from but it looks sore. It's interesting he came right in your house after this, like he was asking for help.
Would he take a small pill in wet food? You could call your vet and ask if they could get you a mild sedative to give him before bringing him in so he doesn't stress out as bad. If the vet has someone you can send pictures to, you could text them the photo you posted here so they can see the wound and help you from there. If there's a mobile vet in your area, that would be another option to explore, too. I hope he gets to feeling better. Thank you for looking out for him!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's asking for help in his own way, so coming into your home is big for him - big enough that you need to have his wound looked at. Use a thick coat or jacket with gloves if you have to so you can get him into a carrier to go to the vet. He won't be happy, but he does instinctively know he needs help, and he 'trusts' you enough to believe you can do something for him.

Can you keep him inside once he has seen a vet to allow for healing time? Are you familiar with helping a stray/semi-feral? If not, we can likely help with that.
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside - TheCatSite
A Feral Cat Or A Stray Cat? How To Tell The Difference - TheCatSite

Keep us posted, please.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's asking for help in his own way, so coming into your home is big for him - big enough that you need to have his wound looked at. Use a thick coat or jacket with gloves if you have to so you can get him into a carrier to go to the vet. He won't be happy, but he does instinctively know he needs help, and he 'trusts' you enough to believe you can do something for him.

Can you keep him inside once he has seen a vet to allow for healing time? Are you familiar with helping a stray/semi-feral? If not, we can likely help with that.
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside - TheCatSite
A Feral Cat Or A Stray Cat? How To Tell The Difference - TheCatSite

Keep us posted, please.
On getting him into a carrier, I've found it's easier to put the carrier up on it's "back" so the door is facing the ceiling, and use your gloves/jacket to pick him up and put him in rear feet first vs. head first. Once he's in, shut the door and latch it quickly, then gently and slowly set it back to it's normal position. Cover it with a blanket completely, and transport him covered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MistyL83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm taking him to vet first thing in am I don't have money for emergency vet. I have put iodine on a guaze and he let me patt it with that then he let me put a clean guaze on and wrap it. So I have it covered tonight. And I will get him help and update everyone. My mom helped n looked him over said it looks more like a radiator may have cut him. Considering it's like a clean cut circle shape when inspecting it. I don't know I just have to help him poor fellow.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I’m sorry he got hurt. Thank you for helping him.
First have to say, don’t use human products on cats because many things are toxic to cats. Any over the counter medication will kill him. Just FYI. I know you didn’t say you were going to give him anything but I have seen people give their cats medication and the cats die.

it could be a fan belt injury from a car, or a dog bite, or anything. I wouldn’t do anymore iodine as it is really open. That’s good he let you touch it with gauze.

be very careful with the wrap you put on because cats get themselves into all sorts of trouble with wraps.

I am so glad you are taking him to the vet.

To get him in the carrier, bring it out and put it in with him now. Open the door and let him get used to it. You can even feed him in it tonight. If he goes in it to eat, Try the same thing in the morning with only a tsp of food and if it works, close the door. Double check your carrier that all the screws are secure and always carry it from the bottom.

MistyL83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE! He went to vet today. It was an abscess that ruptured he got a full work up and rabies vaccination. He's 9lbs and got antibiotic shot to help. They could not close it, so I'm in charge of keeping it clean for the next 2 weeks. Which is fine we made him a soft spot to enjoy inside. He's doing great but I wanted everyone to know! Whoop whoop he's going to make it 🙌

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
UPDATE! He went to vet today. It was an abscess that ruptured he got a full work up and rabies vaccination. He's 9lbs and got antibiotic shot to help. They could not close it, so I'm in charge of keeping it clean for the next 2 weeks. Which is fine we made him a soft spot to enjoy inside. He's doing great but I wanted everyone to know! Whoop whoop he's going to make it 🙌
This is great! Abscesses look SO bad when they rupture, but I promise you he was in bad pain before it ruptured, and the pain relief was instantaneous when it ruptured. I've had one before, and the pain was unbearable but once it finally opened up it was heaven sent.
I am so glad he's going to be OK and is with you! Thank you for taking such great care of him! :cutecat:

MistyL83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank u so much. I just felt I couldn't let him get bad off. But he never let me close to him before so I couldn't see it. I'm just grateful he came n I could help him and he's being loving now

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank u so much. I just felt I couldn't let him get bad off. But he never let me close to him before so I couldn't see it. I'm just grateful he came n I could help him and he's being loving now
You have been chosen! :heartshape:

MistyL83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm ok with that ☺ I always heard cats choose u. And I guess he did I just hope he knows I care ❤

MistyL83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah we have all been loving on him to let him know we love him n he can feel safe here. Although he knows there's food here I have a simese who's 15.6lbs but he has even welcomed him n no aggression what so ever. But he's fixed and the vet let us know that this boy is fixed as well. I just wonder y someone dumped him because he's been out here for a long while he came to me starved. And we started feeding him n he stayed n we didn't mind was even willing to let him come in. We would put warmer in his food couldn't get close to flea treat him but we did what we could. Now I guess we gained his trust after such a traumatic experience for him. I feel sad knowing he was out there alone with this abscess n scared. That's heart breaking to think of. But we have 2 daschunds as well n I think my girls except him they have just stayed out of his way n let him rest. Which is not their nature lol