HELP - SLIMY Water Fountain Problem!!!!!

Baz84

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey,

So I have a 17-ish pound Maine Coon who is ~ 1 year 3 months old.

I use Catit Water Fountain for his water. I have a problem with SLIME and Yellow-ish water… According to that instructions - the filter can last up to 1 month. LOL NO!

I have to change his water + filter TWICE weekly to avoid "yellow-ish" water… and even with twice weekly change, the water/fount = slimy. Once weekly changing = Slimy water/found + yellow-ish water.

Cleaning it… is a PAIN! I place the entire fountain my dishwasher and wash it twice (one washing still feels slimy). The motor is the worst!!! I have soaked it in vinegar, dish detergent soap… still slimy. So now I go through two soakings - first soaking, I use my retainer brite dissolvable tabs (tablets used to clean my retainers - the "trays" you use at night to keep your teeth straight), then soak it soapy detergent water.

What’s worse is – this Friday I’m getting a new Kitty!

I’m going crazy – there has to be a better solution to use. Better water fountain? Better cleaning ways?

ANY… and I mean ANY advice is appreciated!!!!

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If it's one of the plastic fountains for some reason plastic does seem to get slimy quickly, and if you don't get every nook and cranny (even the dishwasher might not get every spot) the slime comes back quickly too. I have Drinkwell® Avalon Pet Fountain and Drinkwell® Pagoda Pet Fountain (they are basically the same just different shapes) and don't have any issues with it being slimy unless I wait too long to clean them. Both are very easy to clean, no nooks and crannies just wipe down the two ceramic pieces, I wash them by hand and they take about 10 minutes each to wash, but they can go in the dishwasher. The only thing that takes a bit more time to clean is the water pump, because you can't just wipe it you have to take it apart and clean (5 minutes at most). Cleaning your pump Properly I have 14 cats and can go about a week between cleaning the fountains, just refilling.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had the same issue, despite diligent cleaning, until I switched to bottled water rather than tap water. Haven't had an issue with slimy water fountain ever since and I change and clean once a week. So in my case it really had something to do with the tap water Vs bottled water.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey,

So I have a 17-ish pound Maine Coon who is ~ 1 year 3 months old.

I use Catit Water Fountain for his water. I have a problem with SLIME and Yellow-ish water… According to that instructions - the filter can last up to 1 month. LOL NO!

I have to change his water + filter TWICE weekly to avoid "yellow-ish" water… and even with twice weekly change, the water/fount = slimy. Once weekly changing = Slimy water/found + yellow-ish water.

Cleaning it… is a PAIN! I place the entire fountain my dishwasher and wash it twice (one washing still feels slimy). The motor is the worst!!! I have soaked it in vinegar, dish detergent soap… still slimy. So now I go through two soakings - first soaking, I use my retainer brite dissolvable tabs (tablets used to clean my retainers - the "trays" you use at night to keep your teeth straight), then soak it soapy detergent water.

What’s worse is – this Friday I’m getting a new Kitty!

I’m going crazy – there has to be a better solution to use. Better water fountain? Better cleaning ways?

ANY… and I mean ANY advice is appreciated!!!!
Stainless steel is the best to prevent slime. Still happens but not nearly as much with plastic or ceramic

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does your filter have charcoal and a filter type material to it? Is the filter large enough to be useful?

Is your fountain stainless steel?

Do you completely disassemble the fountain pump when you clean it.?

Is the pump, strong enough to circulate the water many times per hour?

We changed the water in the fountain every night. We now top the fountain with filtered brita water nightly. The water is still changed at least weekly, but with the top up it probably is exchanged every few days anyway.

We have no slimy water issues.

Its critical for your cats to drink lots of water in a domestic environment, especially true for male cats.

20191015_190818.jpg

Morpheus1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm leaning towards it's something in your tap water. I had fish tanks for many, many years, and some slime is inevitable, especially in the reservoir. Charcoal in a filter really only eliminates odor, and in the case of aquariums, medicine. As others have suggested, switch to bottled water. (Not distilled, as there are still some minerals left over in "purified" water that are beneficial.)

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
If you don't want to get a different water fountain you can try disinfecting it, not just washing.

Disassemble the fountain as you do to put it in the dishwasher. Put the fountain and all the parts in a bucket big enough to immerse it in chlorine bleach, and put it where the cats can't get near it. Let it soak for several hours, then rinse in hot water. Run it through the dishwasher as usual before filling it for the kitties again. If you have a sanitize or disinfect cycle on your dishwasher use that.

The slime is likely to come back eventually, but this should stop it at least for a while.

Raul-7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Avoid plastic fountains; they're trash regardless of all the features they contain. Plastic is a breeding ground for bacteria and has BPA, phthalates, etc.

Stick with ceramic or stainless.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Agree with tossing plastic fountains. I don't understand why companies keep making them, especially in "fancy" shapes and styles that end up being absolute pain to wash regularly.

I got this fountain 2 weeks ago after doing lots of searching. It's extremely basic, easy to clean, no smart features, no LED, very quiet. Downside is that it's very small but it's practically a tupperware container so I'm happy to refill and clean it more often with my daily chores. they also sell replacement filters and motors on amazon so super easy if something goes wrong.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B098QR3HCC/?tag=thecatsite

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with tossing plastic fountains. I don't understand why companies keep making them, especially in "fancy" shapes and styles that end up being absolute pain to wash regularly.

I got this fountain 2 weeks ago after doing lots of searching. It's extremely basic, easy to clean, no smart features, no LED, very quiet. Downside is that it's very small but it's practically a tupperware container so I'm happy to refill and clean it more often with my daily chores. they also sell replacement filters and motors on amazon so super easy if something goes wrong.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B098QR3HCC/?tag=thecatsite
Looks like a nice fountain.
Strange that you can get it with a bark (shock) collar for dogs. I'm not against those, but I know a lot of dog people sure are!

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Looks like a nice fountain.
Strange that you can get it with a bark (shock) collar for dogs. I'm not against those, but I know a lot of dog people sure are!
Where did you see that? It just shows the fountain for sale on my end?

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you click on that link and scroll down you'll see a combo offering that includes a shock collar for dogs. It's called a "bark collar."
I think that section is personalized, on mine it just shows more pet fountains for the combo offering.

Lucy&Petra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had this same problem. Once I started using the Brita to refill, then the water is fine. Of course you do need to clean it weekly.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above, I use Reverse Osmosis water and it really helps. Bottled water would too. I also use Oratene cat water additive to help with tartar on their teeth and that seems to cut down on the slime too.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above, I use Reverse Osmosis water and it really helps. Bottled water would too. I also use Oratene cat water additive to help with tartar on their teeth and that seems to cut down on the slime too.
Interestingly, I used the TropiClean oral health additive once in the fountain and it was very slimy in there. So when I want to add that, I do it only to the stationary water bowls.