Help sick feral cat

moreknow

learning to help ferals :)
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,
I have this 3yr old feral cat that lets me pick her up and pet her. Compared to her sister, she’s always been more active, still running around and climbing trees but recently (starting Saturday), she’s come down with something. It started out as sneezing, and then wanting to throw up, I believe (I dont know if it’s coughing or trying to vomit, but she lays low and the ground and it looks like she’s trying to cough something out but instead just ‘swallows’ whatever she was trying to cough up). She has always been a picky eater so I isolate her and give her a separate plate w/ different food and she has ate everything i give her except the wet cat food at times. She always shows up at night but recently she’s taking longer and she isn’t running to me as she used to.
I have a video i wish can share on here but it just shows her walking up on me after I fed her chicken sprinkled with immune support powder; she had discharge in her left eye and nose, she was purring and curling her front feet while I scratched her head, something she does all the time. I am trying to be hopeful that she’s doing better, but I can’t be so sure. I worry that it might be a respiratory infection or something, I’d really appreciate any feedback. What can i do to help better her health (medicine, supplements, specific types of cat food, etc.) And based on her behavior from the last 4 days, does it look like she might die? I worry deeply bc she’s one of my oldest, and I love her a lot. Thanks so much again 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, there is no way we can diagnose her via the internet, particularly because we aren't Vet's. It sounds like she might have a hairball that's stuck, along with a possible URI, but there is no way of knowing for sure. Or she could have allergies, or asthma, OR even a heart condition, which often shows up as coughing or gagging. Can you take her to a Vet? That's really the best thing to do. Do you have a trap?

At the very least, if you can get a video of her actually doing the coughing thing and send that along with the video of her eye and nose that show congestion to your Vet and see what they think.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,
I have this 3yr old feral cat that lets me pick her up and pet her. Compared to her sister, she’s always been more active, still running around and climbing trees but recently (starting Saturday), she’s come down with something. It started out as sneezing, and then wanting to throw up, I believe (I dont know if it’s coughing or trying to vomit, but she lays low and the ground and it looks like she’s trying to cough something out but instead just ‘swallows’ whatever she was trying to cough up). She has always been a picky eater so I isolate her and give her a separate plate w/ different food and she has ate everything i give her except the wet cat food at times. She always shows up at night but recently she’s taking longer and she isn’t running to me as she used to.
I have a video i wish can share on here but it just shows her walking up on me after I fed her chicken sprinkled with immune support powder; she had discharge in her left eye and nose, she was purring and curling her front feet while I scratched her head, something she does all the time. I am trying to be hopeful that she’s doing better, but I can’t be so sure. I worry that it might be a respiratory infection or something, I’d really appreciate any feedback. What can i do to help better her health (medicine, supplements, specific types of cat food, etc.) And based on her behavior from the last 4 days, does it look like she might die? I worry deeply bc she’s one of my oldest, and I love her a lot. Thanks so much again 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏
Please get her a vet checkup. It does sound at first as if she might be trying to cough up a furball, but the upper respiratory symptoms may be a separate issue and might need veterinary support. Has she had baseline innoculations? And is she spayed, I hope? She's a beautiful tortoiseshell! And 3 is very young for a cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
Sorry I havent replied I have been busy with midterms and work
I've been keeping a close eye on her. Tuesday was the worst day, but since then she's been always eating (only chicken and sometimes the wet kibble) and everyday it seems that she can move faster (started seeing her run to me again today) and I haven't seen her try to vomit or sneeze or anything like that. But just now I found something frightening on her neck, I was picking on something I felt on her neck and I tried taking it out and it was this mucus-y string that came out. She didn't scream in pain or anything but she walked away a little bit after but I followed her and I took pictures
IMG_5622.jpg
IMG_5624.jpg
IMG_5625.jpg
IMG_5626.jpg

It looks like there's more but I am scared if I'll take it out it'll harm her, I posted this on many forums on here but nonetheless can y'all help me out discern what this is? Many many thanks in advance

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
MOD NOTE: This post has been merged from another thread

Hi guys,
So I have this feral cat that lives behind my house and she's been around for 3 years, I spayed her in December and she's been fine, but just this last Saturday she came down with something: first it was sneezing, then wanting to vomit, and then she would walk to me instead of running when I called her; fatigued. I fed her separately from my other ferals and she ate chicken w/ lysine powder on it. Tuesday was when she looked the worst but now she appears to be going back to her normal self, purring and running and laying down when I pet her. But just now I was petting her, and I felt something on the left side her neck, thought it was a typical scab or some tiny debris stuck in her fur or something. So I pick at it to get rid of it and when i pull at it, a white mucus-y string comes out. She didn't scream in pain or anything but she eventually walked away but I followed her and took some pictures.
IMG_5622.jpg
IMG_5624.jpg
IMG_5625.jpg
IMG_5626.jpg

Some if it fell out (2nd picture) but some stayed where it's at, and I don't wanna pick at it just yet b/c I dont want to harm her. I truly really appreciate if anyone can help me discern what it is ????
Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
Sorry I havent replied I have been busy with midterms and work
I've been keeping a close eye on her. Tuesday was the worst day, but since then she's been always eating (only chicken and sometimes the wet kibble) and everyday it seems that she can move faster (started seeing her run to me again today) and I haven't seen her try to vomit or sneeze or anything like that. But just now I found something frightening on her neck, I was picking on something I felt on her neck and I tried taking it out and it was this mucus-y string that came out. She didn't scream in pain or anything but she walked away a little bit after but I followed her and I took picturesView attachment 355441View attachment 355443View attachment 355444View attachment 355446
It looks like there's more but I am scared if I'll take it out it'll harm her, I posted this on many forums on here but nonetheless can y'all help me out discern what this is? Many many thanks in advance
My suggestion, and my strong wish, is as at first. She needs to see a vet.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed! She needs a vet. I tried to answer when you had these pictures as a separate post but I suspect the photos were linked here. If this is coming out of her, my concerns are infection through an abscess or other inflicted wound, remotely possible to have a botfly larvae, or that something has been put on/ in the cat. No matter what the issue, all symptoms considered, she needs more help than can be given at home.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
My parents would be really upset if i took her to the vet, especially since they believe that it isn't technically our pet. She seems to be way better than Tuesday, and Thursday was a cold windy day but it didn't seem to bother her. After picking at this, it didn't appear that it hurt her a lot, so I will try to wipe the rest off and watch her behavior. But if it worsens I will call SPCA to help her out

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For now, can you put a warm wet cloth on the wound and get it cleaned? Be gentle and careful. Keep an eye out for any change. If there is an odor to the wound, it can indicate infection. If there are any rescue groups near you, maybe someone would foster her? She doesn’t seem to be feral but more of a community cat or a stray/ dumped pet.
if you can text or email those photos to a vet and explain the situation, they may be able to call in some medication. A vet here called in some antibiotics for us one time under my name. They were “no charge” as inexpensive medicine. A major grocery store chain with a pharmacy provided the prescription. Perhaps your parents would agree to this? She may not be “your or their pet” but anything that suffers around us can affect us all. Thank goodness she has you to give her comfort and love! Bravo to you for being so loving caring to her.:goldstar:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have no idea either. But, if it were to be a parasite or bug that laid eggs, it would likely be the result of a wound and they actually laid eggs inside the wound. That is just one guess out of a gazillion. You need to see if you can take a closer look to see if there is an actual opening in the skin.

Notwithstanding that, do you have a vet you could call and ask if there would be any way you could bring in a sample of the 'stuff' to them to analyze? If you find an opening in the skin, you could also share pics with them as well.

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To me, it looks like it could be a feather. It is possible that kitty swallowed it and it got caught in her throat causing her want to vomit. After a while the feather worked it's way out through kitty's neck. If grass seeds can do this, I see no reason why a feather couldn't. They are sharp enough.

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I have no idea either. But, if it were to be a parasite or bug that laid eggs, it would likely be the result of a wound and they actually laid eggs inside the wound. That is just one guess out of a gazillion. You need to see if you can take a closer look to see if there is an actual opening in the skin.

Notwithstanding that, do you have a vet you could call and ask if there would be any way you could bring in a sample of the 'stuff' to them to analyze? If you find an opening in the skin, you could also share pics with them as well.
This is actually a good idea.

If you still have access to the gunk, place it in a baggie in the fridge and bring it to the vet tomorrow so they can analyze it.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
update: hi guys, since this day, she appears to be better, the wound healed and her behavior is the same as before. I'm sorry i didn't reply sooner but i been stressing about school and other two cats that disappeared that i was supposed to go get fixed at the clinic. I hope to get Mimi (this cat) to a check up soon, when that time comes ill be in another thread on this amazing community. Thanks again :)