Help Shih Tzu is pregnant!!!

cat com

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok so we have a female Shih Tzu, who is teeny, she’s around 4 kilos. We wanted to spay her but where I live the vets aren’t the best and the vet said that since they didn’t have the best apparatus so we decided to hold off on the spaying till she was a little bigger; little did I know she was already old enough; she started a heat cycle and we phoned the vet and booked her an appointment. Now the vet says he’s not in for another 2 weeks. We tried to our best to not let her out but she bred with another dog, who is big, he’s around 11-12 kilos. He’s the neighbours dog. Now I’m scared that she might have an agonising pregnancy please help!!! P.s before anyone bashes me I’m completely for spaying and neutering, in fact all my cats and my other male dog is neutered!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long ago was that? If you can get her in to see another vet, there's a mismatch shot that dogs can get within a few days. Sort of a morning-after pill, I guess you could say. She can also be spayed within a month to terminate the pregnancy and it won't be any riskier than a normal spay (it can be done after a month, too, but risks go up as the pregnancy goes on).

If you decide to let her have the pups (assuming she got pregnant; dogs aren't as fertile as cats and don't always take the first time), there's a possibility she could have them naturally, since the male isn't huge. But also talk to the vet about a c-section, especially since she's so young.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
P.s before anyone bashes me I’m completely for spaying and neutering, in fact all my cats and my other male dog is neutered!
Don't worry, no bashing here. Accidents happen in spite of how careful we try to be. W Willowy gave you some good advice.
Please keep us updated to let us know what you decide to do.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have her spayed in two weeks when the Dr's back and you won't have to worry.