Help! Semi Feral And Stray Rescues

jucab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been taking care of a feral/semi feral cat for a little over a year. She lets me pet her and sometimes carry her. She has learned to meow but it’s a weak meow and doesn’t happen often. I would like to someday transition her to inside the house, but for now she has a space in the backyard dedicated to her.
So, she was out exploring tonight and rushed home hissing and it turned out she was being followed by a male stray cat. I know this cat is a stray because I used to feed him before his owner got angry and took him home. I always see this cat outside hiding under cars so I know he isn’t being cared for anymore. He has no collar and he’s really dirty and skinny.
Anyway, this cat followed my semi feral into the yard and I don’t want to deny him food, water, and shelter, but I’m worried that my semi feral would just leave. Can anyone give me advice on how (if it is even possible) to get these two to get along?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First step is to be sure both cats are spayed and neutered. If not you will have the cats begin to multiply before your very eyes. There is a saying that goes " If you feed, they will breed". Part of caring for stray/feral cats is not only giving them food/water and shelter, but also being sure they cannot continue to reproduce.

If would set up separate areas for these two. The poor male kitty that was abandoned.

Since the female is so very friendly, you could always choose to take her inside now, get her vet care and then continue to feed the male.

Many of us here have taken in strays and ferals. I have 5 former feral cats living in my house right now. We can give you some great suggestions here for bringing feral/strays inside as well as doing trap neuter return (TNR) on them if you choose to keep them outside.

Thank you for caring about these sweet kitties.

JakCrow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've taken in 4 strays over the years, one an abandoned 2 year old, 2 feral around 1 year old that we had been feeding for almost a year, and a 6 month old feral. The abandoned 2 year old didnt need any adjustment, in fact, he just walked right thru the front door on his own and made himself home, the 2 1 year old ferals took about a month total to adjust to being indoors but after that it was like they had never been feral, and the feral 6 month old kitten was found shivering on the porch one winter night so we took her in and she needed almost no adjustment and she slept on my bed with me her first night inside. We lucked out with these guys, but I realize not all feral cats will be as easy to take in