Help: Roommate Suddenly Allergic to My Cats?

JYD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's my girlfriend of 5 years. She's always been allergic to cats, and whenever she would come over for a night or a few days, she would not develop allergic reactions.

I moved in with her on December 11, 2021 & six weeks later, she started to have daily runny nose.

When I moved in, we bought 3 HEPA filters, a HEPA vaccum, I bath them with dander wipes weekly, BUT, she pets them almost daily for just a few seconds & one of the sleeps with us. BUT, that is really nothing new; she's always petted them & one always slept with us at my house & she never had an allergic reaction before.

Is it possible she's her allergic symptoms have developed over time whereas for 6 weeks of daily interaction with the cats she had no allergic reaction?

We're wondering if it's the cats or something else, like 'long covid' which she had back in November of last year.

Thoughts?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd see my doctor. Especially since you mention it could still be symptoms of having had Covid.

Allergies can change over time so it is possible she is showing symptoms since living with the cats full time now. But only a doctor can properly diagnose if that's the problem or if it's something else. She could even have seasonal allergies, not cats.

I am allergic to cats and seasonal things. There are many good medications available that keep it in control from OTC like Zyrtec , eye drops and nasal sprays.. There is also immunotherapy to be considered. We have air purifiers which has made a big difference. Keeping things as clean as possible (dusting, vacuuming, cleaning bed sheets etc) will also be helpful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JYD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd see my doctor. Especially since you mention it could still be symptoms of having had Covid.

Allergies can change over time so it is possible she is showing symptoms since living with the cats full time now. But only a doctor can properly diagnose if that's the problem or if it's something else. She could even have seasonal allergies, not cats.

I am allergic to cats and seasonal things. There are many good medications available that keep it in control from OTC like Zyrtec , eye drops and nasal sprays.. There is also immunotherapy to be considered. We have air purifiers which has made a big difference. Keeping things as clean as possible (dusting, vacuuming, cleaning bed sheets etc) will also be helpful.
OK, good advice. ...Yeah, we thought of seeing a doctor about it. We're making adjustments on the cleaning & no more cat petting for now to see how that works. She takes Zyrtec daily already & before the cats came here.

What's interesting is her daughter is HIGHLY allergic to cats--or was in the past--and we bought all the HEPA's & dander stuff for her. She has had ZERO issues since the cats moved in two months ago, so we're grateful for that.

It's just weird that her mom is suddenly the one having issues, but here we are. I'm praying its NOT my cats.

Cheers.