Help! Resident cats not accepting 9 week old kitten

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's so normal! The adult's ears remained forward, and there was no real attack. It's when they tense up, go low, and stalk that you want to be ready to intervene. This was more, "HEY, YOU! That is MY toy! You can play with it, but don't forget!"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dli2509

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Day 17 update - There is less hissing and barely any growling when the kitten approaches the resident cats, they sometimes even ignore her (yay!). However, when she's very hyper and running around a lot or if she tries to play with the resident cats they chase her and hiss/swat at her. The kitten runs away terrified and hides for a bit, she gets all puffed up and turns her ears back. I think overall there's progress, I'm just wondering if it's bad for her to be scared of the grown cats all the time. The kitten does bug them when they try to use the litter box, hopefully she outgrows this and we've added litter boxes on both floors of the house to give them options. Since the resident cats refuse to play with her even though they're fairly young (2.5y), that means I'm the kitten's playmate which has been a lot of work, she's super hyper :). The resident cats got into a couple of fights in the past few days and are still a little on edge around each other. Again thank you all for the reassurance in this process, the stress levels have been very high the past couple of weeks in our house.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's fine. She's learning her manners. I would only be worried if she were being injured (almost unheard of) or so badly frightened that she NEVER came out of hiding. This is all part of her learning what is and is not allowed in her new home.

dli2509

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
3 week update - we seem to have hit a wall with the integration of the kitten (Sitka) with the resident cats. One of them (Maya) doesn’t growl at her anymore, will hiss on occasion but has increasingly chased and cornered her, doesn’t hurt her though. The other cat (Kai) still hisses at her multiple times a day if she gets too close, and will chase/hiss/swat on occasion. The relationship between the resident cats seems to be improving but Kai swatted Maya at the litter box for no reason a couple of days ago. The kitten runs to the litter boxes as soon as she hears anyone digging and won’t move unless I pick her up.

I’m worried that as the kitten gets older and bigger that the stand offs will turn into fights. Right now she’ll just cowers or runs to hide whenever she gets chased or hissed/swatted.

Do we need to go back to square one and separate the kitten? On top of everything she was diagnosed with ringworm this week and that has added a lot of stress (constant cleaning, medications, baths, etc.).

Thank you in advance for your advice.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
but Kai swatted Maya at the litter box for no reason a couple of days ago.
Without looking back at previous posts (sorry about that) but are you using Cat Music? Music For Cats is often suggested. Also you might want to consider over-the-counter calming products.

You need to separate her anyway now, correct? Hang in there with that :vibes::goodluck::heartshape:

dli2509

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Without looking back at previous posts (sorry about that) but are you using Cat Music? Music For Cats is often suggested. Also you might want to consider over-the-counter calming products.

You need to separate her anyway now, correct? Hang in there with that :vibes::goodluck::heartshape:
We have 2 Feliway plug ins in the area the cats spend the most time. We decided to not isolate the kitten because she screams bloody murder when she’s locked up, she’s too little to be left alone so much (12 weeks). She’s on oral meds, topical meds and everyone is getting a medicated shampoo bath tomorrow, plus I’m cleaning like crazy.

dli2509

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

dli2509

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
7 week update - The kitten (Sitka) is about 3.5 months now and was recently spayed (last week). The 2 resident cats (2.5 yo, female) are doing better with the kitten but we're not out of the woods yet... One of the females (Kai) will basically hiss at the kitten anytime she gets too close, sometimes she can walk by ok but for the most part she's not a fan, she will also chase her on occasion. The other female (Maya) doesn't hiss at her hardly ever but she stalks her a lot and will chase her/corner her, won't hurt her though. The kitten is definitely careful around the cats and will lay down in a submissive pose but on occasion she'll chase them or try to jump them and obviously gets smacked or hissed at. I'm just wondering if this is as good as it's going to get or if we can still see some improvement. I worry that as the kitten gets older and bigger, the hisses will escalate. Any thoughts or feedback? Thank you!

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I may be out of the norm here but I have a resident cat that’s never really accepted new kittens and it’s been about 8 months. I tend to keep them in separate areas of my house, separated by a gate so they can still see and smell each other. The kittens love her and want to be near her, she just wants nothing to do with them and will hiss, growl, and sometimes attack them.

dli2509

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I may be out of the norm here but I have a resident cat that’s never really accepted new kittens and it’s been about 8 months. I tend to keep them in separate areas of my house, separated by a gate so they can still see and smell each other. The kittens love her and want to be near her, she just wants nothing to do with them and will hiss, growl, and sometimes attack them.
When she attacks, does she hurt them? or just swatting them? Thanks!

dli2509

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
D dli2509 have things changed for your cats?

Robyn5678 Robyn5678 have you left them together for any amount of time?
It’s better but not great yet. The kitten chases Kai a lot and Kai hissed at her and runs away, but the kitten doesn’t get the message. For the most part they’re ok with each other, except when the kitten gets all hyper. Maya tolerates the kitten for the most part but will often corral her into a corner and sometimes chase her and swat her pretty intensely, no biting or hissing, just super fast swatting that scares the kitten so she starts hissing. We put Maya and Kai on fluoxetine 2 weeks ago, they’re calming down a little. So we’re in a wait and see mode. The kitten has already gotten spayed.

dli2509

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Here is a video from today. Maya (gray) is chasing and swatting Sitka the kitten (white). Does this look like aggression or something else? Maya didn't hiss, growl or bite. Sitka was hissing. You can see them on the bottom left corner, unfortunately the Nest camera angle wasn't great.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Here is a video from today. Maya (gray) is chasing and swatting Sitka the kitten (white). Does this look like aggression or something else? Maya didn't hiss, growl or bite. Sitka was hissing. You can see them on the bottom left corner, unfortunately the Nest camera angle wasn't great.

To me, that is a bit agressive so I would roll back introductions a bit at least and ensure that the other two have restful time away from her.

Yes she might scream, but tire her out, give some food and leave the room. They all need that fully relaxed time, at least two hours to relax, but long enough for a catnap. Put it in to your routine however fits.

Are you making sure each has some solo play time with a human (with a shut door so no other cats interrupt or a baby gate so other cats can observe)? Don't underestimate the power of play to help remove some of that agressive energy from your cats. In my experience, Feliway only helps so much and the rest is work we have to put in.

- cat calming music really helped us
- getting a different kind of cat food and using those kibbles as reward treats and food enrichment -- busy minds make for calm bodies when it comes to cats
- if you can have a wildlife feeder at your window with enough space for each cat that's great too. Great bonding and you can reward sitting calmly with one another with treats
- high reward treats like Churus or some other tube treat where they eat together is helpful (separate plates or something but at the same time.

-chasing kibbles (throw in separate directions for kitten and cats) can be a fun bonding game too. We started with a door separating kitten for this. Throw it under the door for the other cats to run after and catch.

- reward all positive behavior that you see. At least a good girl in a high, positive tone. Whether that's walking past one another without a hiss or swat or resting in the same room.

For me, we had Magnus in a room for at least a few hours a day with door closed (two naps) to ensure Nobel has that space to fully calm down for about 6 months. That fully calm time with no stress is so vital to the bonding and it teaches them when in the routine to take breaks from one another. These days all 3 boys usually nap on the bed together.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That certainly is intense!, but the angle of the tail of the black one when it comes back is indicating goofy silliness. Talk about mixed messages.

I'm really wondering if things will change as the white one gains size and maturity. Are you able to work with it, love on it, play with them both, together and separately, to help increase the white ones confidence ?