Help Reintroducing Traumatized Cat

oonawingedwolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need help. About 2 weeks ago, one of our cats got outside and we could not find him anywhere. Two days ago our neighbors helped us corral him and get him back home. We have given him places to hide and kept his food separate from Daemon, our second cat. Tonight, in fact only moments ago, Daemon tried to approach Sylvester and poor Sylvestre eliminated his bowels on himself. I know this means he is terrified of Daemon and it hurts so bad because he helped raise Daemon from only 4 week of age. They used to be VERY close and Daemon is so confused. Sylvestre's confidence is completely broken. He is constantly terrified. I need advice on what to do. We can not put them in separate rooms as our home has an open floor plan. I do have an expen that Sylvestre would not be able to jump out of an I could give him a box turned cave-like with a blanket, it would mean putting my rabbit into his hospital cage though. I am very scared we may have to re-home Daemon. Please, if anyone can think of things we can do?

marianc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry you're going through such a difficult time -- you and the cats. What other interactions have Daemon and Sylvester had over the 2 days Sylvester has been home? You only give one example and it's possible that Daemon may not have been the cause of Sylvester's losing bowel control.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi oonawingedwolf oonawingedwolf .
How old is your Daemon and Sylvestre? Does Daemon hiss at Sylvestre, as though, he does not recognize him?

Could you try using some of the methods in 'cat introductions', here: How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Mainly doing the 'scent swapping' and using each cat's bedding, towels, blankets to exchange their scents.
In this way, Sylvestre will slowly come back, to recognizing Daemon's scent, and his fear will decrease.

Would you also be able to use this 'barrier set up' in your home, New Cat Aggression
See Post #5. Also Post #4.

There are also calming treats that you can try called 'Composure Calming Treats for cats', but I would ask your Vet, first if they would be okay.http://www.vetriscience.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=9008103030
You can find them on amazon, or chewy dot com, or pet stores.

It might be a good idea to take Sylvestre to the Vet, if he continues to urinate on himself, just to check him out, and also the vet can prescribe some meds to reduce his anxiety, temporarily.
Six Surefire Strategies to Reduce Stress in Cats
https://thecatsite.com/ams/six-surefire-strategies-to-reduce-stress-in-cats.30316/
I do like your idea of giving Sylvestre his own 'cave-like box, covered with blanket', so that he has his own 'safe space' to relax in. Any area, that you can create, which is either on the ground, or higher up, will help him relax.
Because you mentioned that he's only been home 2 days, then I would think that he needs at least 2 weeks to get back to feeling comfortable, again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oonawingedwolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I have been away from this.

The two have observed each other in the kitchen with Sylvestre (the cat that came home from getting out) on top of the upper cabinets so almost ceiling level and Daemon on the Counters about 3 feet or so below him. Sylvestre has also observed Daemon from on top of a fridge with Daemon on a nearby counter. We had a good interaction today, well good compared to the others. They were both on the bed without hissing for almost 10 minutes and Daemon even groomed Sylvestre for a few licks before 'vestre started hissing. We pet them both and calmly put space between them.

Sylvestre has been home now for a week. They have boxes around the house to play and hide in, we have put Sylvestre's feeding station up on the cabinets so he does not feel he has to gulp it down. He has been to the vet, the vet said to let them work it out on their own *rolls my eyes*. He gave us some critical care for Sylvestre being underweight. Said other wise he was healthy.

Again I apologize for not being on. A lot was going on.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your above update.
It sounds like Sylvestre just needs more time, to get used to his usual things, again.
Good that he is letting Daemon groom him, even for a few licks.

No need to apologize, we all know what it's like with IRL (in real life) and some cat issues happening.
Take care, and continued small steps to get things back to normal, with both Sylvestre and Daemon.

Hoping that by next week, Sylvestre gets to feeling like his old self, and puts on the weight, and enjoys his usual food, too.
He probably had run in to some frightening cats/animals outdoors, and needs some time to relax.

oonawingedwolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's doing better now. Still not letting Daemon get too close and they still chase each other around but not like before. You guys are right, he needs time and we are giving him as much room as we can. We got his weight back up by switching to raw. They both took to it like they were born to eat it. Oh wait they were lol.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
He's doing better now. Still not letting Daemon get too close and they still chase each other around but not like before. You guys are right, he needs time and we are giving him as much room as we can. We got his weight back up by switching to raw. They both took to it like they were born to eat it. Oh wait they were lol.
:lol: I like how you wrote that last part, above.
This is a very good update.
(I bet there is a 'look-alike cat' out there, that looks like Daemon, and Sylvestre probably ran into him, but he was the 'mean look-alike', not the good one,...so Sylvestre will be holding some grudges, for awhile.) :wink:

Actually, there is another method, I read about where some members mentioned using a 'vanilla trick' where they placed a few drops of vanilla, onto a cat's shoulders, so that all the cats smelled the same, and it masked their own scent. The only thing I could not figure out, was if the vanilla had alcohol in it, that would be dangerous to out cats, so not sure what type of vanilla they were talking about. :headscratch:
With both of your cats, the vanilla, or any other safe, but strange scent,...would probably send them chasing each other...even more. So perhaps, just waiting it out, seems the better option. :bluepaw:

Another thing you might have to look out for, in the future, is if Sylvestre looks out the window, and sees or smells other cats, then he may use re-directed aggression towards Daemon. But hopefully, that will not happen, and your boys just need more time, to act like before.
At least Sylvestre has put on the weight he lost, and is not feeling hungry, or having to find his own food. That's good.

Maybe in a few weeks, you can use playtime, both individually, and alone, with each of them, ...to get them more bonded. When one hisses, a cat toy for distraction, might work.

oonawingedwolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday they actually laid on my bed with their backs touching! But... as soon as they noticed that I noticed Sylvestre bopped Daemon and ran away lol. We're getting there ha ha.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday they actually laid on my bed with their backs touching! But... as soon as they noticed that I noticed Sylvestre bopped Daemon and ran away lol. We're getting there ha ha.
:blush: You mean, they would have been fine...if you had not noticed...or if they 'did not notice that you noticed'...lol. :lol:
Wow, your two are adorable. :sleepycat::lovecat: