Help! Reformed Attack Cat

Ksoltys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here’s the low down:

I have two cats. Pepper is a 2-4 yr old rescued feral female, spayed. Total doll, feisty, sticks up for her own. Clancey (attack cat) is a 9 yr old rescued male who was found orphaned with his brother along the side of a highway and hand weened up until he attacked his owner so badly, she was hospitalized. She gave him up after approx 6-7 years of owning said cat after the attack. He came to live with a woman who I was living with and had his own room. He had one failed adoption. Upon his return he was moved to the barn (where I worked mostly for this woman) after attacking several people before and after failed adoption (dilated pupils, loud growls/hissing, launching himself at glass windows/doors repeatedly trying to access his target lasting about 10 minutes each episode). Pepper was a feral brought in for his company. Having to work in the barn, I got to know Clancey really well. Very sucky, needy cat who at the time appeared to have these episodes due to too much commotion, new people, new smells, anything new to quickly.

Fast forward 3 yrs I move out and adopt both Pepper and Clancey and build them an epic Catio for their enjoyment off of their very own safe room. My partner is extremely fearful of Clancey thus he lives in that room with his gal pal when my partner is home. I have had no incidents in the 7 months Clancey and his gal pal have been here. We play everyday, he gets walks on a harness outside of the Catio, we high five for treats, I respect his space and body language, allow him to investigate new things slowly and we nap forehead to forehead. I adore him.

I got asked to cat sit two cats for a month. Bad idea and will never do it again, however I have agreed to it and somehow have to survive the month. I have kept everyone separated, fed on opposite sides of the door at the same time, scent swap everyday. Clancey and Pepper are in their safe space with Catio, new cats have access to rest of the house and go in the main bedroom when my cats come out. The problem is I have rocked Clancey’s world with these new cats and despite my efforts he has been exhibiting signs of his past aggressive behaviour. New cats have been here for approx. 2 weeks. No contact besides the small crack at the bottom of the door where you can get a visual. Re directed aggression towards Pepper and myself. Wide big eyes all the time, constantly on edge, pacing his territory repeatedly, stalking Pepper and swatting and hissing with claws. He’s stalked me once and swatted at my leg, when I turned around he was in f you up mode. Fixed stare, forward ears, stiff posture. Tested the waters to confirm my suspicion and put my hand down for him to sniff, he lunged with claws and teeth. I grabbed a blanket and made myself big and politely told him to get lost. Shut myself in the bedroom for about 10 minutes before opening the door again. He was fine. I was devastated that he had slipped back into these mood swings. This was the day before the new cats came too which I thought was weird. Could he have picked up on my stress the day before? Or was there another trigger I was missing. My problem is that I feel like I can’t turn my back on him without potentially getting attacked, or I’m worried the longer the cats are here the more frustrated he is going to get as they are certainly exacerbating the problem. He is not interested in play anymore or treats and I’m worried without that extra stimulation, things are going to escalate. I understand where his behaviour is coming from and I don’t punish him for it either as I know that will only crush our trust further. What can I do for him to help him trust that I have his back?

I’ve done my research on certain products ie feliway, medications, cbd oil. My concern is that those products may help to reduce anxiety but not fully address his behavioural issues. I feel so terrible that I’ve thrown him for a loop with these new cats and just want to continue building trust.

Sorry for the novel
29A915CF-8058-4B54-BE64-101E1E2B8650.jpeg
B653C75C-40D2-4F32-8ED8-85E4B437942E.jpeg

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Clancey is such a handsome boy! And that catio is amazing! I’ll attach links to some helpful articles:

Cat Aggression Toward People

Re-directed Aggression In Cats

I’d recommend trying Feliway. Aggressive behavior in cats can be caused by stress, so the idea is that, by reducing Clancey’s stress, his aggressive behavior could also be reduced. You can also talk to your vet about their recommendations, and see if they know a good cat behaviorist that you can consult with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ksoltys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Clancey is such a handsome boy! And that catio is amazing! I’ll attach links to some helpful articles:

Cat Aggression Toward People

Re-directed Aggression In Cats

I’d recommend trying Feliway. Aggressive behavior in cats can be caused by stress, so the idea is that, by reducing Clancey’s stress, his aggressive behavior could also be reduced. You can also talk to your vet about their recommendations, and see if they know a good cat behaviorist that you can consult with.

Thank you :) I have ordered a feliway diffuser so here’s hoping that works!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your kind of in a crap situation, as I think you know. I'm just concerned your putting too much hope in feliway. Its true some people report dramatic results, but many more seem to report it did nothing. And this could really set your cat back if it continues. So here is my strange, radical and possibly way over the top idea to get you through the two remaining weeks:

Can we build a scent isolation room? Put the visiting cats in a room, tape up the door with painters tape. Literally. Close AC vents to and from the room -- you can crack outside window so they get fresh air. When you do your daily visit, lock your own cats away, and put the fans on after the daily visit, and reapply the tape. Wash your hands and perhaps even change your clothes.

Its a totally crazy idea I know. But absent you getting lucky with a calming product or prozac, it may be worth doing. You just need to get through the remaining two weeks and then you'll have more time to work on longer term therapies.

Last edited:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try Prozac. Given his past history why not pull out the big guns? Also I'm really not sure about the new cats you adopted. You had him leveled out before the new intruders. Can you give the new cats back? If so giving him 2-6 months to calm down (and maybe try Prozac) then introducing him to a cute non threatening kitten might be a better option.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think they are adopted danteshuman danteshuman , unless I misread they are visitors there for a month, cat sitting -- I believe we are 2 weeks in, 2 weeks left to go. I assumed that giving them back early or finding them another spot for 2 weeks wasn't an option when I came up with my radical idea above. I obviously agree that find them another spot for the 2 remaining weeks would be best, but it just may not be workable.

Ksoltys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your kind of in a crap situation, as I think you know. I'm just concerned your putting too much hope in feliway. Its true some people report dramatic results, but many more seem to report it did nothing. And this could really set your cat back if it continues. So here is my strange, radical and possibly way over the top idea to get you through the two remaining weeks:

Can we build a scent isolation room? Put the visiting cats in a room, tape up the door with painters tape. Literally. Close AC vents to and from the room -- you can crack outside window so they get fresh air. When you do your daily visit, lock your own cats away, and put the fans on after the daily visit, and reapply the tape. Wash your hands and perhaps even change your clothes.

Its a totally crazy idea I know. But absent you getting lucky with a calming product or prozac, it may be worth doing. You just need to get through the remaining two weeks and then you'll have more time to work on longer term therapies.
I love the creativity!! I am certainly open to trying that. And yes, definitely a crap situation. Things were going so well I thought if I did all the re introduction tricks we’d be ok. The goal is to survive the next two weeks without having a major aggressive episode. In hindsight, I should have said no to the visiting cats. I haven’t caved with the diffuser yet but I did get a “calming collar” that I have really low expectations for and a spray.

Ksoltys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would try Prozac. Given his past history why not pull out the big guns? Also I'm really not sure about the new cats you adopted. You had him leveled out before the new intruders. Can you give the new cats back? If so giving him 2-6 months to calm down (and maybe try Prozac) then introducing him to a cute non threatening kitten might be a better option.
Thank you for your reply! They are visiting cats and are due to leave in 2 ish weeks. Unfortunately, I have asked around to see if anyone would be interested in housing them for the remainder of the time being but I apparently don’t have many cat friends ‍♀

Ksoltys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think they are adopted danteshuman danteshuman , unless I misread they are visitors there for a month, cat sitting -- I believe we are 2 weeks in, 2 weeks left to go. I assumed that giving them back early or finding them another spot for 2 weeks wasn't an option when I came up with my radical idea above. I obviously agree that find them another spot for the 2 remaining weeks would be best, but it just may not be workable.
Thank you for the clarification!!

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
good luck making it through the second half of the guest cats' visit. clancey will probably calm down after he's sure the guest cats aren't coming back, but be patient with him and be safe, too.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I misread, I'm sorry I thought you adopted them. I think a couple of weeks after they leave he should be back to normal. Other then that changing your shirt & washing your hands after you touch the intruders might help. That way you won't smell like them.
:crossfingers: