Help Please!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are doing great. Even if he doesn’t live with you I know you will feel great that you got him safe and saved his life. All we can do is our best. Wishing wonderful kitty vibes your way.:vibes::heartshape:

rainbo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad that they are checking him for the UTI, it really sounds like that is the case!

Don't feel bad about keeping him in the bathroom temporarily! I'm currently housing the feral kitten that I found in my bathroom. I have a dog that can be a bit of a brat about sharing his apartment and I do not want the kitten to be further traumatized. I needed him to be where he could not go into hiding so I could win his trust. I didn't want him away from his litter box, easy access = less accidents. I set the bathroom up for his comfort, and to help him feel safe and secure. Today I begin letting him see out into the next room through a baby gate since he'll now come to me and let me handle him but he's still going to stay in the bathroom for another day or two unless I find him a home before then.

Being in the bathroom isn't the end of the world, you don't want you kitten to further learn bad habits, and if he does have a UTI you need him to be where you can easily clean up after him. Just make the bathroom as comfortable and fun as possible for him and spend time in there playing with him and giving him love and attention..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catchalater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all - His appointment went well today. I took him to a place that offers free neutering with a grant and wrongly assumed that they would be able to check for a UTI. I am bringing him to Banfield tomorrow morning to get that checked out. He is doing well. I bought a mattress protector, so he can hang out in my room until I go to sleep, at which point he will be in the bathroom. I can tell that he wants to go outside. I'm wondering if he was acting up to get some freedom. Anyways, that's it for now. Will let you know about the UTI tomorrow. Thanks again for your continued encouragement.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! Great idea on mattress cover. I am relieved you will take him for UTI check. Glad they offer free spay/ neuter. Don’t give in to the thought he just wants to go out. He should be in. It isn’t safe for them to be out and if he is sick he may not come back. He might also spread an illness to other cats in your area. I am wondering if he is old enough to mate. If you got him neutered today he may not want to go out anymore. He won’t be driven to hunt a female now. You are on the right track. You are doing great. Sending you great vibes!:vibes::cheerleader:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, let us know how the appointment goes tomorrow and what the vet says. In my experience, the only time cats urinate outside of the litter box is if they have a UTI, or if they are part of a multi-cat household where the male cats will sometimes mark territory. A single cat normally does not urinate outside of the litter box because he is angry or wants to go outside. If he were unhappy being inside, he would be yowling and crying much of the time, scratching at the doors and windows and trying to escape. If he is not doing any of that, and if he is affectionate with you, rest assured he wants to be indoors. Outside kittens can very easily be transitioned to indoor pets. I have the feeling that once his urination problem is resolved, he will be a wonderful addition to your household. Thank you for taking care of this kitten and getting him veterinary help, you are likely saving his life.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s important to wash anything that he’s peed on with an enzyme cleaner so it’s doesn’t smell like a bathroom to him.

Thanks for caring for him and getting him neutered! It will take some time for the hormones to leave his body, so don’t get discouraged if you don’t see immediate changes.

Catchalater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I dropped him off at Banfield this morning. They said he doesn't have a UTI or any other problems down there. I was disappointed at the results, since I was hoping it wasn't a behavioral problem. They are sending me home with some pain meds, which they said might chill him out a little. He has had a rough couple days with these doctor visits.

Catchalater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is sleeping on my lap and being a little angel now. He hasn't had any accidents, since his surgery and it definitely seems like he mellowed out. I could play with him for an hour and he still wanted to play more, which was getting a little exhausting. Here's a picture of Geppetto.

Attachments

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww he's adorable. So it looks like it will work out for you to keep him? Keep us posted on how things are going :)