Help Please!

Catchalater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all - I am a very inexperienced cat owner and have had some tough luck with a cat I recently brought in. This little kitten was living in my backyard and I started feeding him. A few weeks into it, he let me pet him and we started to bond. Now the hard part... I had to convince my roommate to let me take him in. With hesitation he agreed.

When I brought him in, he was the picture of compliance. He started using a litterbox right away and didn't even freak out when I took him to the vet. He was very sociable and extremely affectionate toward me.

It seemed like something happened around the two week mark, where he suddenly become scared of most people, except for me. He started spraying here and there, so I made an appointment for him to get neutered.

About a week ago, he pooped right on my one roommates bed. The next day they were complaining about a smell and couldn't pinpoint it, until they found out that he was peeing on their bathmats. He started peeing in my bed around this time, only at night when I was actually in the bed.

There wasn't a litterbox issue, since I cleaned it twice daily and even changed his litter a few times a week. I even built him a big cat tree, that he loves.

Two nights ago he peed all over the wood floor in the kitchen and my roommate was fuming. He said I had to keep him in my room until he was neutered. This I did and I got him a Sentry comfort collar.

The moment I got in bed, he peed right where my feet were. I was exhausted and decided to go to sleep and hope for the best. He started scratching me trying to wake me up. Then at 1:00 AM I woke up to him peeing directly on my face. I picked him up and brought him outside and haven't seen him since. This was on Thursday night. I'm down in Florida and it has been raining non-stop for the last week.

Do you think he will ever come back? He was living in my backyard before I took him in. I still want to get him neutered and to see if he is sick. What are your thoughts on him peeing right on my face? We were becoming best buddies. Thanks for any help!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry the kitten is missing. Don’t give up. Rain may just have the kitten tucked away to stay dry. Try looking for him if the rain lets up or at night. Often they come out at night when the world is quieter. You can use a flashlight to try shining it across the yard to see if the kittens eyes show up. Their eyes reflect the light very well and you will spot two little shiny dots. Early morning is the other time of day they love. You didn’t say the name of the kitty but try calling it. You may find a hungry baby is willing to come to your voice and food. You can also try using a trap. There are many people on this site who have had great luck and lots of experience with catching kitties this way. Cats do odd things to get our attention. My first thought about the bed wetting is a question. Did your roommate like the kitten? If not then perhaps kitty picked up on this and felt insecure. He may have been trying to “ mark” a spot to claim territory or to warn off something he did not want around. For kitty to suddenly become afraid is concerning but all sorts of things could cause this. Since you have no history on the kitty it is hard to know. It could have been outside as a lost pet or have been separated from Mom. Anything outside could have caused trauma and fear which could have been triggered when you had it. The second thing is that if kitty shows up I would get the opinion of a vet. It could be something like a urinary infection or any number of other things. Keep looking. Kitties are very tough. I have been a cat friend for a very long time and they still surprise me. I wouldn’t be shocked to find a new post from you saying that you found the kitten. You might ask neighbors about the kitty too. Someone else may have found him and taken pity on a lost kitten as well. Taking him in as a rescue was a great thing to do. I am glad you did. Please keep posting. I’d like to know what happens. Also look further on this site. You will find a great deal of advice on how to find and take care of this baby. :goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catchalater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry the kitten is missing. Don’t give up. Rain may just have the kitten tucked away to stay dry. Try looking for him if the rain lets up or at night. Often they come out at night when the world is quieter. You can use a flashlight to try shining it across the yard to see if the kittens eyes show up. Their eyes reflect the light very well and you will spot two little shiny dots. Early morning is the other time of day they love. You didn’t say the name of the kitty but try calling it. You may find a hungry baby is willing to come to your voice and food. You can also try using a trap. There are many people on this site who have had great luck and lots of experience with catching kitties this way. Cats do odd things to get our attention. My first thought about the bed wetting is a question. Did your roommate like the kitten? If not then perhaps kitty picked up on this and felt insecure. He may have been trying to “ mark” a spot to claim territory or to warn off something he did not want around. For kitty to suddenly become afraid is concerning but all sorts of things could cause this. Since you have no history on the kitty it is hard to know. It could have been outside as a lost pet or have been separated from Mom. Anything outside could have caused trauma and fear which could have been triggered when you had it. The second thing is that if kitty shows up I would get the opinion of a vet. It could be something like a urinary infection or any number of other things. Keep looking. Kitties are very tough. I have been a cat friend for a very long time and they still surprise me. I wouldn’t be shocked to find a new post from you saying that you found the kitten. You might ask neighbors about the kitty too. Someone else may have found him and taken pity on a lost kitten as well. Taking him in as a rescue was a great thing to do. I am glad you did. Please keep posting. I’d like to know what happens. Also look further on this site. You will find a great deal of advice on how to find and take care of this baby. :goodluck:
Thank you so much for replying in such detail! One of my roommates wasn't excited about Geppetto coming inside in the first place, but he actually warmed up to him when he saw that he was behaving himself. Once he started peeing and scratching furniture, he may have gotten the sense that there was some animosity brewing. I also observed that this roommate walks around quickly without looking at the floor, so I'm wondering if he inadvertently kicked him. I left food out last night and it was gone in the morning. I have seen other cats in the backyard, so there is no guarantee that Geppetto ate it. It has been raining constantly since last Friday and the weather forecast shows no signs of it letting up for another week. I haven't seen any cats the last few days. It was definitely bad timing to force him outside. I am scheduled to get him neutered on Tuesday at Peggy Adams. I will definitely give you updates. Thanks again!

Catchalater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like a UTI. Was he only eating dry food?
Thank you for your reply. I always had Purina Kitten Formula dry food out and would give him a can of Fancy Feast every night. He really liked the Chicken Hearts in Gravy. Are UTIs common in male kittens? Thanks again!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UTI is something we often see in kitties as in humans. Don’t worry. Just keep putting the food out in a dry spot. I bet Geppetto is out there waiting for the rain to stop. Just get him checked by the vet, neutered and love him.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh, yes. I'm always having problems with my male cat. He loves his dry food so much, but it always causes pee problems if he eats too much of it.

Catchalater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good news! The rain broke and I saw Geppetto out in the backyard. I called his name and he ran up to me. It was an amazing reunion. He ate all the Fancy Feasts he wanted. It wasn't without setback though.

My one roommate agreed to watch a friend's dog at our house for the weekend. He came out back with the dog, not knowing that I was playing with the cat. The dog took immediately bolted toward the cat and chased the him out to our back fence. I have an appointment to get him neutered on Tuesday, so I'm hoping he comes back in time. The saga continues. It was great seeing him safe and healthy though. Will keep you all posted. Thanks again for all your advice.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very good news! Keep doing what you are doing! You are saving a life. I hope you can keep that appointment with the vet. It is very important to get Geppetto checked out and neutered. I am so happy for you both! :yess::hyper:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has the kitten returned yet? If he does, you should consider keeping him enclosed in your room and limiting the access your roommates have to him, at least until he's recovered from his neuter and no longer peeing outside the litter box. One of two scenarios comes to mind. Either he has a urinary tract infection (which is easily treated with a course of antibiotics), or one or more of your roommates traumatized him, perhaps kicking or hitting him because he peed outside the litter box. If he doesn't have an infection, then he is deeply stressed. So when you find him again, keep him in your room. Also, it's not a good idea to scold a kitten, or to put him outside because of an accident with the litter box. If there's a medical reason for the behavior, he won't understand your anger and will lose trust in people. And if it is a behavioral issue, there are other steps that can be taken to help him with this. Thank you for trying to help this kitten.

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do try and find Geppetto. I think you are getting good advice here.
Has the kitten returned yet? If he does, you should consider keeping him enclosed in your room and limiting the access your roommates have to him, at least until he's recovered from his neuter and no longer peeing outside the litter box. One of two scenarios comes to mind. Either he has a urinary tract infection (which is easily treated with a course of antibiotics), or one or more of your roommates traumatized him, perhaps kicking or hitting him because he peed outside the litter box. If he doesn't have an infection, then he is deeply stressed. So when you find him again, keep him in your room. Also, it's not a good idea to scold a kitten, or to put him outside because of an accident with the litter box. If there's a medical reason for the behavior, he won't understand your anger and will lose trust in people. And if it is a behavioral issue, there are other steps that can be taken to help him with this. Thank you for trying to help this kitten.

Catchalater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do try and find Geppetto. I think you are getting good advice here.
Geppetto came back after the dog incident this morning. I kept his appointment for his neutering tomorrow at 8:00 AM. I asked my roommates if I could bring him inside tonight, so he doesn't miss his appointment. They agreed with the plan. I went to the bathroom for a minute and when I came out, there was a giant puddle of urine on my comforter. I didn't scold him. I let him walk himself outside and was petting him out there. I just can't continue to live like this. He literally peed in my face, which was the initial reason that I brought him back outside. Should I lock him in my bathroom for the night? I am thinking that he may have to be an outside cat. It's hard enough keeping peace in my house with my roommates and having to try to clean my comforter, sheets and mattress at 9:30 is not acceptable. It looked like he literally held in 4 days of urine so he could put it all in my bed.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please ask the vet to check him for a urinary tract infection. Even if the vet is not able to extract a urine sample from him, they could still prescribe an antibiotic for him In case he has an infection. In fact I would insist on one. After the neuter, keep him in your room until he is fully recovered and the antibiotics have done their job. Cats are not vindictive there is usually a medical reason for the behavior you describe. I hope you will keep him in your room for the full course of the antibiotics if there's a chance you might not be able to administer them to him if he is outside. Those infections can be very painful for a cat. My phone keeps crashing on this site tonight sorry for the disjointed message. And yes, keep him in your bathroom tonight if he is unable to control his bladder.

Last edited:

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First a check for urinary tract infection and neutering. I am a cynical sort. I suspect one of your roommates may have traumatized the cat in someway.
Keep in your room, litter box, food & water until he has recovered from the UTI, if he has it, and being neutered. Keep in mind that it may take several weeks for the testosterone to recede. Please don't make him an outside cat Too many hazards, dogs, other cats, raccoons, parasites etc. If you can't keep him, turn him over to a no kill rescue group. But please don't toss him outside. Good luck.

Catchalater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First a check for urinary tract infection and neutering. I am a cynical sort. I suspect one of your roommates may have traumatized the cat in someway.
Keep in your room, litter box, food & water until he has recovered from the UTI, if he has it, and being neutered. Keep in mind that it may take several weeks for the testosterone to recede. Please don't make him an outside cat Too many hazards, dogs, other cats, raccoons, parasites etc. If you can't keep him, turn him over to a no kill rescue group. But please don't toss him outside. Good luck.
Thanks all for the replies. Another alternative is to bring him to my mom's house. She has a cat that is in need of a companion. If it was something that my roommate did to him, I'm sure he wouldn't feel that comfortable here anyway. I don't think he's vindictive. He runs up to me and acts like we're best buds. He was living in my backyard for about a month, before we brought him in, so while it's not ideal, but it's not like I bought him at a pet store and decided it wasn't working out.

Catchalater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't keep him in my room if his favorite place to urinate is my bed. I can't afford to buy another mattress and if he starts peeing on the carpet, we will never get our security deposit back. Would the bathroom work for a few days? I'm sorry if I sound insensitive, but this urine thing is a real problem in a house with wooden floors and carpet. I may have just ruined my $70 comforter. I have spent over $500 on this cat in a little over a month.

Catchalater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know why I'm getting upset reading these replies, but when you wake up to your beloved cat peeing directly on your face, it seems like more than a litter box issue. I did pick him up and put him outside. He is not scared of me at all. He runs up to me and won't leave me alone. But I will not be sleeping with Geppetto in the same room as me, until I get this figured out.

Catchalater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have Geppetto in the bathroom now. I don't know why, but I feel like kind of a psychopath having him locked in there. Hoping everything goes smooth tomorrow. Wish us luck.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you care about this kitty you will not put him outside. He will die if you do not help him. Take him somewhere safe! Do whatever you have to in order to keep him safe for this night. You have an appointment early tomorrow. Get him there and tell them all that has happened. This kitty is acting like your best bud because he loves you. Don’t throw him out. Take him to the vet and ask for help with him. Ask them where you can take him. If you cannot keep him take him somewhere he will be safe and where the love he gives will be returned to him. I know you are upset about the expense and the damages but there are solutions to your problem. This is an innocent life. You obviously wanted to help him or you would not have brought him in to start with. Don’t just give up. Take him somewhere safe. There are many people out there who would love to have him and give him the proper care to solve his problems. He needs vet care. A shelter that does not kill them can take him. If your mother understands proper cat care then take him there. I have taken in 43 and gotten them safe homes in seven months. I have 19 rescues in my care now. They do require a lot. I sympathize with the money issue. I sympathize with the mess caused. I can’t even describe what I have dealt with but I have never put one out. People rescue cats every day and find safe homes for them. I know you can do this! I have faith in you! Calm down and get kitty settled where no one will bother him for now. Let your roommates know you are going to find him a place to go right away. If you really can’t deal with the problems caused then find someone who is in a position to do so. Give him a chance to live. At least keep him long enough to get help. You don’t want to go through anymore damages but I can tell you would feel awful is you found him in your yard in a bad way or worse. Everyone here wants to support you. We are rooting for you to save this little one in the way that works for you. Please be a part of the solution. Relax, get kitty settled and deal with finding help first thing in the morning. It will work out. Keep us posted and write in if you need help.

Catchalater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you care about this kitty you will not put him outside. He will die if you do not help him. Take him somewhere safe! Do whatever you have to in order to keep him safe for this night. You have an appointment early tomorrow. Get him there and tell them all that has happened. This kitty is acting like your best bud because he loves you. Don’t throw him out. Take him to the vet and ask for help with him. Ask them where you can take him. If you cannot keep him take him somewhere he will be safe and where the love he gives will be returned to him. I know you are upset about the expense and the damages but there are solutions to your problem. This is an innocent life. You obviously wanted to help him or you would not have brought him in to start with. Don’t just give up. Take him somewhere safe. There are many people out there who would love to have him and give him the proper care to solve his problems. He needs vet care. A shelter that does not kill them can take him. If your mother understands proper cat care then take him there. I have taken in 43 and gotten them safe homes in seven months. I have 19 rescues in my care now. They do require a lot. I sympathize with the money issue. I sympathize with the mess caused. I can’t even describe what I have dealt with but I have never put one out. People rescue cats every day and find safe homes for them. I know you can do this! I have faith in you! Calm down and get kitty settled where no one will bother him for now. Let your roommates know you are going to find him a place to go right away. If you really can’t deal with the problems caused then find someone who is in a position to do so. Give him a chance to live. At least keep him long enough to get help. You don’t want to go through anymore damages but I can tell you would feel awful is you found him in your yard in a bad way or worse. Everyone here wants to support you. We are rooting for you to save this little one in the way that works for you. Please be a part of the solution. Relax, get kitty settled and deal with finding help first thing in the morning. It will work out. Keep us posted and write in if you need help.
Thank you for your reply. I brought him to his appointment. They are going to check for a UTI too. I noticed his urine was dark yellow yesterday, so it very well could be an infection. Will keep you posted. I am trying my hardest to make it work for him here at my house. If it doesn't, I will definitely take your advice and bring him to my mom's or a no kill shelter. I will keep you all updated. Thanks again.