Help Please With The Ink

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yay inky!! that is awesome!
When I had outdoor cats they would bring me "gifts" too.
No worries, except figuring out how the mouse got in.
I rescued a bird from my cat once, it was raining out and I blow dried the bird
and opened the door and he flew away.
Inky was probably pretty proud, he's a good boy!
yay for petting Inky!!!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He has allowed me to pet him and will even jump up to my hand to have his head petted. His hisses have lessened.
:clapcat:

As for the mouse, I agree with what @fionasmom mentioned. It's their natural instinct. Some cats go after them but sometimes don't eat them and sometimes they do.

Just like my boy, he catches lizards and he eats them sometimes and sometimes he doesn't, he just play with it.

Cat20mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old do you think Inky is? I had a feral 4 month old I brought in and put in my bathroom. Instead of leaving the carrier in there, I put a blanket behind the toilet and she spent most of her time there for a week or 2. I put a litter box in there with her as well as food and water. I fed her hard cat food and gave her a little soft food as a treat every day. I stayed in the room on the floor when I gave her the treat. Eventually, she started getting comfortable with me and came seeking some attention when I came in the bathroom. When I finally opened the bathroom door to give her free roam of the house, she would barely come out of her 'safe zone'. It took a couple of weeks before she would roam around. I have 5 other cats inside and they all adjusted pretty well since they had smelled her through the door for some time. The cat's age will make a difference in how quickly and how well you can integrate him into your fur family.

Cat20mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, didn't see there were so many more posts and it sounds like this issue is taken care of. Glad it turned out positively for both of you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a great idea! I will try to put some steel wool in the opening under my bathroom sink. Thank you!

Oh no, I would never behave differently toward any cat who hunted. Even though I don't like it, I know that the cat is not to blame.

In his case I honestly don't think it was a gift ( the Puss in Boots theory is used way too often), but more the behavior from a cat who never knew where his next meal was coming from.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
How old do you think Inky is? I had a feral 4 month old I brought in and put in my bathroom. Instead of leaving the carrier in there, I put a blanket behind the toilet and she spent most of her time there for a week or 2. I put a litter box in there with her as well as food and water. I fed her hard cat food and gave her a little soft food as a treat every day. I stayed in the room on the floor when I gave her the treat. Eventually, she started getting comfortable with me and came seeking some attention when I came in the bathroom. When I finally opened the bathroom door to give her free roam of the house, she would barely come out of her 'safe zone'. It took a couple of weeks before she would roam around. I have 5 other cats inside and they all adjusted pretty well since they had smelled her through the door for some time. The cat's age will make a difference in how quickly and how well you can integrate him into your fur family.

That's a heartwarming story. I am glad everything worked out well for your kitten, she was lucky to have found you. :)

Inky is two and he was never suppose to be with me. I caught Inky because my vet assured me that he would socialize him and then find him a forever home. Short story: the vet bailed and I got stuck with Inky. :(

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
:clapcat:

As for the mouse, I agree with what @fionasmom mentioned. It's their natural instinct. Some cats go after them but sometimes don't eat them and sometimes they do.

Just like my boy, he catches lizards and he eats them sometimes and sometimes he doesn't, he just play with it.

As I was telling a friend, it doesn't help that mice are so darn cute.

giphy.gif

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been following your adventures with Inky and just wanted to chime in and tell you to keep up the good work! Thanks for taking care of him when it really wasn't supposed to happen this way.

And I totally agree -- mice are really cute! Some years at work we would have field mice in the building and, as the person who is SUPPOSED to call in the exterminator, I just could not do it. In fact, one very bad year, I brought in a bunch of humane traps and spent an exhausting few months catching and releasing the little guys. I did change a few minds when people who were freaked out and scared saw how small and cute they are!

Equally as cute are bunnies, and it was the final straw when my semi-feral formerly-outdoor cat brought four tiny half-dead baby bunnies to my porch one at a time over the course of an afternoon. It was horrifying. I could not find the nest and could not stop her, but it cemented the decision to bring her inside.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been following your adventures with Inky and just wanted to chime in and tell you to keep up the good work! Thanks for taking care of him when it really wasn't supposed to happen this way.

And I totally agree -- mice are really cute! Some years at work we would have field mice in the building and, as the person who is SUPPOSED to call in the exterminator, I just could not do it. In fact, one very bad year, I brought in a bunch of humane traps and spent an exhausting few months catching and releasing the little guys. I did change a few minds when people who were freaked out and scared saw how small and cute they are!

Equally as cute are bunnies, and it was the final straw when my semi-feral formerly-outdoor cat brought four tiny half-dead baby bunnies to my porch one at a time over the course of an afternoon. It was horrifying. I could not find the nest and could not stop her, but it cemented the decision to bring her inside.

Thank you. I am still chaffed at my vet but I have to admit that gaining a feral cat's trust is an awesome feeling.

What a cool thing to do! Thank you for capturing those mice in a humane way. Except for bats, I think that all rodents have cute faces. Squirrels always get a pass from me because of their cuteness.

Okay, hands down, baby bunnies take top prize in the cute contest. LOL! Your kitty was giving you a never-ending supple of baby bunnies. Yes, unfortunately, cats don't discriminate when it comes to their prey- anything that moves is fair game to them. Whenever I would let Jeff out at night I would always say to her: "Now remember, we don't hurt little animals..." Whether she listen or not is anybody's guess. :)

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
An Inky update. :)

Thank you everyone for your caring comments and support. All of you have given me invaluable suggestions in making Inky's transformation more comfortable for both him and myself.

I do have another question if nobody minds. :)

Inky is very comfortable with me now, he greets me with a head bump to my hand, loves his pets and general seems content. The difference in him is day and night.

What now? I can't really keep him, but I also don't want to relinquish him back to my vet because of the setup there. If a cat wasn't feral before, he soon will be after spending time at my vet's clinic. Is there someway to reach out to other cat lovers to explain about Inky and what he needs to succeed down the road?

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a place in San Diego called, Friends of cats. maybe you can find a place that will help you Rehome, post on next door, and any where you can find.
you will have to make sure it really is a good home.
You may have to work with him a little more to get him adopted out.
I have no experience at adopting cats, but Jcatbird Jcatbird does and Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 does as well as others here too, you may want to create a thread about adopting out a cat.

That is so awesome Inky came so far!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a place in San Diego called, Friends of cats. maybe you can find a place that will help you Rehome, post on next door, and any where you can find.
you will have to make sure it really is a good home.
You may have to work with him a little more to get him adopted out.
I have no experience at adopting cats, but Jcatbird Jcatbird does and Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 does as well as others here too, you may want to create a thread about adopting out a cat.

That is so awesome Inky came so far!

Thank you wallie.

We have come a very long way considering that this very cat was lunging through the carrier bars at my face two months ago.

Unfortunately I don't live in a progressive state like you do and I doubt Missouri has those kind of options, but I am going to try my best to find this incredible cat a happy home.

It will have to be a person who knows cats and has the patience and time to work with Inky. I would love to keep him but my house is already overflowing with kitties and it just wouldn't be fair to Inky..

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to weigh in briefly. Excellent! I saw the beginning of the Inky saga. I really wish you could find another vet. I do understand that the vet probably saw you as a soft touch for reclaiming Inky. The desperate search to find adopting homes leads to some desperate measures at times. If that vet is connected with the local humane society it could be very complicated there. So very many animals probably pass through that office......
If that vet cannot give you names of legitimate rescue groups then I would go elsewhere. Seriously.
You mention that having Inky in a house with many other cats is unfair. Not so if you can provide for him. Cats actually do well as colonies. I have kept my unadoptable rescues and they are now a Clowder. It’s a very close knit family although many were rescued years apart and are not related. My unadoptable kitties would have been PTS through the shelters. Older kitties can find homes and I did manage to get a great many cats adopted but the more traumatized ones or sick ones remain safely with me. Having the number of cats you can properly care for is fine. Integration and socialization allow them to become family to you and the other kitties.
If you feel you really cannot care for Inky, that is different. Your safest route for getting him adopted is through someone you know. I began by asking friends, relatives and neighbors. I continued by asking people otherwise involved somehow in my life like my doctor, tax preparer and anyone else that I knew as safe providers. It turned out that one of the employees at my doctors office also rescued kitties but in my fifteen years of going there, she had never mentioned it. You have to be very proactive and speak to everyone! I even asked the local police! Lol I strongly suggest you try to keep Inky or try this route first. If that fails then start looking at outside resources. I know if someone in your state who recently went through a situation of having to rescue a feral. My understanding is that your state is similar to mine in the adoption situation. You must be very, very careful who you allow to adopt Inky. If you do an adoption on your own, use a contract to protect Inky. If you go through a rescue group or other organization, thoroughly check their history before allowing them to take Inky. As you already know, once you turn a cat over, it isn’t an easy thing to recover them if you feel the need.
I have not been getting all of my alerts on new posts because of some technical difficulties but if you decide to proceed with adoption through a group or need info on a contract, feel free to message me. I’ll help as I can.
Thank you for being so persistent in the saving of this kitty! You really are a hero. Sweet Inky owes you his life. :goldstar::heartshape::clap2:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Missouri is not quite so bad as you think! I'm going to give you the link to the Google search I did. The one that really caught my eye is Stray Haven.

feral cat rescue missouri - Google Search

If they can't help you, they may be able to refer you!
Thank you for the link, Mamany. I am going to contact somebody there and explain Inky's situation.

Missouri is a tricky state when it comes to the welfare of animals. We are still at the top in regards to puppy mills and it was not too long ago that both cats and dogs were being stolen to supply the labs at Washington University and University of Missouri. In fact. Washington University still uses live cats for practice in inserting breathing tubes in a pediatric life supporting class. So I proceed with caution when it comes to looking into places that take cats.

Thank you for the link, Mamany. I am going to contact somebody there and explain Inky's situation.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Inky update:

He is now laying on his back and letting me rub his tummy- why do I think he is going to be my cat? :)

I have kept him in the bathroom for three months now and am wondering if it is the right time to allow him out into the rest of the house. The bathroom is very large and he has toys, but I know that he is lonely. Please don't think I am going to keep him in my bathroom forever, its just that he has gotten so sweet toward me and my cats have a way of corrupting new cats.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
That's good to hear and definitely he's gonna be your cat.

By now, your other cats should have know that Inky is in the bathroom and Inly knows that there are other cats out three. It'll be good to let Inky out and let him explore the house at his own time while keeping the bathroom as his safe room just in case so that he has a familiar room to retreat to.

Just don't rush through the whole sequence but do it slowly and patiently. It may take awhile. Have some of his toys and towels with his scents and leave them outside the bathroom and towards the rest of the house. This way he'll feel confident in venturing out with familiar scents around.

Slowly introduce his stuffs all over the house but let him explore at his own time and will while keeping the bathroom open for him to retreat to.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
That's good to hear and definitely he's gonna be your cat.

By now, your other cats should have know that Inky is in the bathroom and Inly knows that there are other cats out three. It'll be good to let Inky out and let him explore the house at his own time while keeping the bathroom as his safe room just in case so that he has a familiar room to retreat to.

Just don't rush through the whole sequence but do it slowly and patiently. It may take awhile. Have some of his toys and towels with his scents and leave them outside the bathroom and towards the rest of the house. This way he'll feel confident in venturing out with familiar scents around.

Slowly introduce his stuffs all over the house but let him explore at his own time and will while keeping the bathroom open for him to retreat to.

Thank you, tabbytom. :) I am hoping by showing me his tummy that trust is taking place. I will do as you suggest- I tried to let him out a couple of weeks ago and he came out a few feet but then quickly retreated back in. That is a great idea to sprinkle some of his toys and blankets around. I just don't want him to become another cat, right now he has a great personality and I want it to remain.

As you know, I never wanted Inky. but I have found myself becoming quite fond of this little furball.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Tummy rubs are one sure way of showing complete trust. Not all cats allows tummy rubs.

Great to hear that he come out a couple of feet and retreat back in which is very normal. Keep praising him for coming out and keep assuring him while he's out. When he retreats back to the bathroom, just say 'It's ok, daddy's here'. All these done in a soft loving voice.

He may not be as brave as he should but it is only natural for him to behave this way even tough he is familiar with the place. As long as his trust level in you gets higher each day and you don't betray him, I guess he'll be as happy as can be coming out of the bathroom and retreating back in when he sense fear, which is ok, which could be his personality. Don't ask for too much when you get to belly rub him when most of us still can't belly rub our cats :lol:

Yea, Inky is slowly growing up on you and he sort of chosen you so please don't let him down.

Last edited: