Help Please With The Ink

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
T
progress already! yay Inky!

Thank you, but it is really one step ahead on one day with two back on the next. Inky was up on his shelf yesterday, hissing at me. I had hoped we were beyond the hissing stage. He kind of scares me at times.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The hissing is scarier than it really is.
It's not aggressive, he's scared, he's letting you know your too close.
He has been through a huge ordeal, don't let the hissing cause you to react negatively, just give positive and loving reactions when he hisses.
Just tell him it's ok, everything is ok! Don't let him sense stress in you.
Try not to be stressed, it will help him!

The hissing really is a defense thing it's not an attack thing.
make sure you have treats and toys on hand, you want to give good things to him right now!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try not to stand over him, get down low if you can, talk to him, read him a children's book, just be soothing to him. he needs it!
you might want to try reading other threads for helpful hints.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
The hissing is scarier than it really is.
It's not aggressive, he's scared, he's letting you know your too close.
He has been through a huge ordeal, don't let the hissing cause you to react negatively, just give positive and loving reactions when he hisses.
Just tell him it's ok, everything is ok! Don't let him sense stress in you.
Try not to be stressed, it will help him!

The hissing really is a defense thing it's not an attack thing.
make sure you have treats and toys on hand, you want to give good things to him right now!

I understand that he is scared but I don't know him and I don't know what his limit is.
The only reaction I gave was to bow my head, say I was sorry, and back away.

I also don't know how to advance this any further. Do you think he would like some toys? Would playing help him relax?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Try not to stand over him, get down low if you can, talk to him, read him a children's book, just be soothing to him. he needs it!
you might want to try reading other threads for helpful hints.

He was on a top shelve, so he was higher.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I would give him toys absolutely! give him treats too!
and yummy food, win him over!
do you have a box or something for him to sleep in?

He has his carrier to go into, but he refers to hide out under the sink. I just thought that playing might relax him but it could also agitate him too, we will see. He gets Fancy Feast can food, which he dearly loves.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I do think cats understand I'm sorry

I think so too. I sincerely did not mean to upset him. I think animals understand more than we give them credit for.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your doing great! I would probably trade the crate for a cardboard box for now
as he was in that crate for a long time, he may not want to go in it for awhile.
cats like cardboard boxes but the under the sink is ok too, maybe put a blanket or a towel for him there? you know best tho, just making suggestions, but my thought would be to remove the crate.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think playing will be good for him, but a crinkle ball or something he can bat around? cats love string too! make sure it's a thick one tho, maybe a short one so he can't get all wound up in it

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Overall, I think it is a big step forward. His progress is not going to be completely linear from scared cat to lap cat. He will be more receptive one day and less the next possibly.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Overall, I think it is a big step forward. His progress is not going to be completely linear from scared cat to lap cat. He will be more receptive one day and less the next possibly.

I understand, it was just that it went so much smoother with Jeff, we both made strides forward every few days.

I don't want to push him to his limit and get attacked. I don't know if a little cat would come out swinging or not, but I don't want to chance it. I always make sure to respect their body language.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I think playing will be good for him, but a crinkle ball or something he can bat around? cats love string too! make sure it's a thick one tho, maybe a short one so he can't get all wound up in it

When I took Gypsy in this summer, she found a toy with just about anything . She is feral too (from the same parking-lot), but she wasn't as stressed as he is.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Your doing great! I would probably trade the crate for a cardboard box for now
as he was in that crate for a long time, he may not want to go in it for awhile.
cats like cardboard boxes but the under the sink is ok too, maybe put a blanket or a towel for him there? you know best tho, just making suggestions, but my thought would be to remove the crate.

Wali, that is a great suggestion! I bet he is nervous about that carrier. I will replace it with a box and put some towels down.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Inky update!

Now when he hears the sound of a can opening he will come out and stand right next to me. Sometimes, if I am real lucky, he will come out and sit by me as I brush my teeth or comb my hair.

He still hisses but will stop when I start talking to him.

I wish I could get him more animated 'without' hearing a can open.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That is very encouraging! He realizes that you are his source of food and care and is comfortable about expressing that to you. You are making great strides with him.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
That is very encouraging! He realizes that you are his source of food and care and is comfortable about expressing that to you. You are making great strides with him.

Thank you, fionasmom, I hope so. I am hoping to get beyond the food thing and to the part where he starts to feel comfortable around humans. And you know something, I don't know if I can return him to he vet. The plan was to socialize him and then return him to my vet to be adopted out, but I don't think I can do that to him. Am I being selfish?