Help please. My cat's cone was too short and he damaged the neuter incision.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That doesn't sound bad actually. Keep up the good work!!
If you can, keep him in at least another day. Play with him as much as you can to get his energy out.
Alright. He did scratch off a bit of the scab but only a thin layer; the area was mostly intact dry no blood. But that was when he had the cone on do i think it'd be better if he didn't have it on. I will see how he does and decide if i will let him out tomorrow

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This looks amazingly good. I think he's healing well, and you should feel happy about this :)! The protruding area may recede with time.
Wow, better than i expected 😅. He did dash out the door today but i got him back inside. He does lick the area occasionally but as far as now no damage done. Thank you so much for all your help. Will continue updating what the wound looks like

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Attachments

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Very bad news. I removed his cone and i went to the bathroom. When I came back he had licked the scab completely off. It's bleeding

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, you now just only took the cone off? So, for at least a day, he stopped scratching it open but couldn't lick it because of the cone, and now that the cone is off he is licking it instead? If that is the case, it seems to me that you are going to have to expect to go through this whole process again until he stops licking it like he stopped scratching at it.

If I am missing something, please let me know.

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, you now just only took the cone off? So, for at least a day, he stopped scratching it open but couldn't lick it because of the cone, and now that the cone is off he is licking it instead? If that is the case, it seems to me that you are going to have to expect to go through this whole process again until he stops licking it like he stopped scratching at it.

If I am missing something, please let me know.
No, i took the cone off a day ago, but only when I was supervising him. I thought it would be fine as I'd only spend a couple minutes in the bathroom but when I came back he licked it open.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, let me try again to ensure I understand - you've only had the cone off under supervision for the past day, but during that time he had stopped scratching at it. Now, you leave him for a minute or so without the cone on and he licked the incision open to the point of bleeding? But he is still not scratching at it?

Are you taking him outside, for brief periods, at all during this time? Are you still applying any of the ointment to it? Regardless, I think the whole process is going to repeat itself until he tires of licking at it like he seems to have tired of scratching at it.

What is your schedule going to look like over the next few days?

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, let me try again to ensure I understand - you've only had the cone off under supervision for the past day, but during that time he had stopped scratching at it. Now, you leave him for a minute or so without the cone on and he licked the incision open to the point of bleeding? But he is still not scratching at it?

Are you taking him outside, for brief periods, at all during this time? Are you still applying any of the ointment to it? Regardless, I think the whole process is going to repeat itself until he tires of licking at it like he seems to have tired of scratching at it.

What is your schedule going to look like over the next few days?
Yes I've been taking him outside. He hasn't tired of scratching it. He just doing it less now that he can lick. Cone is back on and I'm frantically trying to find a solution. I'm not gonna be home the whole week from 8-3 and 8-5 on Monday, Wednesday and friday.

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. It's been a day since he had made it worse. This is what it looks like. Please let me know how it looks
IMG_20230327_113849_2.jpg
IMG_20230327_113849.jpg
IMG_20230327_112944.jpg