Help please. My cat's cone was too short and he damaged the neuter incision.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just leave it alone. It will heal in time. Is it bleeding excessively?
No it's not. It was bright red with blood but nothing dripping. It's hardening right now as we speak and it seems that it's drying up. The thing is I noticed he no longer used his mouth to lick, he uses his paw and claws to scratch the scab off. I have to go to work next week and no body will be home to watch him. I'm considering possibly wrapping his paws in some kind of bandage so that it could 1. Act as a distraction and 2. Prevent him using his claws but i have no idea how that would work.

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wrapping his paws will last about 2 seconds. Can you buy him a surgical suit, or sometimes they are called onesies (just like for babies)? I am sure Amazon in Canada has these same type products -
Amazon.com : cat surgical suit
I will see, but I'm not sure if it will arrive fast enough in time for when I have to leave. Do you think putting a diaper would work?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Check local pet stores, they may have some surgical suits in stock.

I don't know about a diaper - I guess, but probably only because it would take a while for him to chew and claw it off. I think some of the surgical suits would allow him to use a litter box, not to so much with a diaper.

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Check local pet stores, they may have some surgical suits in stock.

I don't know about a diaper - I guess, but probably only because it would take a while for him to chew and claw it off. I think some of the surgical suits would allow him to use a litter box, not to so much with a diaper.
the diaper doesn't work. I don't think I'll be able to get a suit, I'm a minor and my parents wouldn't spend money. I'm stuck and ran out of ideas i just want my cat to get better 🙁

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can try cutting the leg of a pair of panty hose, or perhaps a long, big sock, to stretch over the area. Anything like might be 'doable'.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Honestly, you will do more damage trying to keep him from messing with the area than if you just let him be. I know it’s hard to do, but just leave it alone and it will heal. Just make sure he stays inside.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Honestly, you will do more damage trying to keep him from messing with the area than if you just let him be. I know it’s hard to do, but just leave it alone and it will heal. Just make sure he stays inside.
Perhaps that is true, but what happens if he continually uses his claws to scratch off scab after scab after scab? There is no guarantee that it won't become infected. If no one is able to keep an eye on him, something covering that area for a few days is hardly a big deal compared to L Lily Scott fretting over it while she is not home.

Do you see a reason not to cover it if she can find something, at least during the hours she is not home?

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
But if he keeps scratching the scab off, how will it heal? He doesn

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Perhaps that is true, but what happens if he continually uses his claws to scratch off scab after scab after scab? There is no guarantee that it won't become infected. If no one is able to keep an eye on him, something covering that area for a few days is hardly a big deal compared to L Lily Scott fretting over it while she is not home.

Do you see a reason not to cover it if she can find something, at least during the hours she is not home?
He doesn't like a cover I've tried cutting socks, pants, diaper, underwear, he hated it and kicks it off somehow. I do have antibiotic ointment (taro mupirocin) to treat and prevent infection so i could use that but I'm worried it'll never heal since he keeps scratching it 🙁

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know anything about that ointment. If he can't lick that area, you could put a very small amount of Neosporin (without the pain meds), ensure it is mostly rubbed into the area, and that might help because it will likely help reduce the itchiness of healing. It can also help to prevent an infection.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have paper plates? You could use that as a deterrent around his neck, cut an x in the center and fit it over his head.

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have paper plates? You could use that as a deterrent around his neck, cut an x in the center and fit it over his head.
He has a cone. The reason the scab is being picked off over and over again to the point where it's bleeding is because he uses his claws to scratch at it

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Use the ointment you have. I just looked it up and it seems safe. Just apply it the way I suggested you do with the Neosporin.
Using it doesn't seem to reduce itch as i used it the first couple days he came back ftom the neuter. He still scratching

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He just picked his newly grown scab. I feel helpless

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How many days out from the surgery are you?

Can you get claw caps? , --since just clipping his claws won't probably help that much.