HELP please!! My cat attacks my dog

Raga’sOwner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a cat in November, she is a really good cat, is spayed and all. But my dog never liked her. I have a blind shih tzu who is kinda moody towards other animals. But we got to managed that, if the dog was attacking the cat then we kept them at different distances. But recently I’ve seen the behaviors turn the opposite side. Today my cat was in my bed, and as soon she saw my dog walking toward my room she ran to attack her! She scratched my dog’s eyelid for no apparent reason! She now looks for my dog and tries to attack her every time. I don’t know if it’s playing, or a hunting behavior or what. I don’t want to get rid of the cat so please help me out guys !! What can I do ???

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat is comfortable enough now to try to establish a hierarchy in the household. It takes many months for a new cat to establish themselves in a new house. Your dog was territorial at first, plus being blind was most likely confused and scared of a newcomer. My cats took a year before they finally became friends, or at least stopped attacking each other. You can try to make sure the cat knows this is not to be tolerated, say NO loudly and sternly and try to distract him. You may even have to give him a 10 minute time out in another room behind closed doors. No longer then that or the cat will become confused and forget what the punishment was for. If he attacks the dog, take him by the loose skin on the back of the neck and hold him to the ground until he becomes still, saying NO. This is what mama cats do to discipline, and is something he instinctively understands. I keep a 'kickeroo', a long catnip filled cat toy handy, and if I see one stalking another, I throw it towards them, they love them and it takes a lot of their frustrations away with the bunny kicking. I always keep a spare one 'steeping' in a plastic bag full of catnip to keep them irresistible. You might also try giving each a few treats close together, it gives them 'happy' feelings and will make them feel good about being together.
This will take a while, but if you consistently let the cat know this will not be tolerated, he will learn. You have to do it every time. I would keep them separated if you are gone so nothing bad happens until you are confident they get along. If the cat is young, they definitely mellow out with age too. This will resolve itself, it just takes time.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Raga’sOwner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for answering !! It really gives me hope ! The only thing that worries me is that she now can’t handle my dog walking peacefully in any space of the house, whenever she sees her, she just runs to attack her ! I just hope this could stop at any tim.

For the scratching itself, are you familiar with claw caps? People use them as an alternative to declawing but in your case they may protect your dog from injury while you train your cat.

Amazon.com : Soft Claws for Cats - CLS (Cleat Lock System), Size Medium, Color Clear : Pet Nail Clippers : Pet Supplies
Your cat is comfortable enough now to try to establish a hierarchy in the household. It takes many months for a new cat to establish themselves in a new house. Your dog was territorial at first, plus being blind was most likely confused and scared of a newcomer. My cats took a year before they finally became friends, or at least stopped attacking each other. You can try to make sure the cat knows this is not to be tolerated, say NO loudly and sternly and try to distract him. You may even have to give him a 10 minute time out in another room behind closed doors. No longer then that or the cat will become confused and forget what the punishment was for. If he attacks the dog, take him by the loose skin on the back of the neck and hold him to the ground until he becomes still, saying NO. This is what mama cats do to discipline, and is something he instinctively understands. I keep a 'kickeroo', a long catnip filled cat toy handy, and if I see one stalking another, I throw it towards them, they love them and it takes a lot of their frustrations away with the bunny kicking. I always keep a spare one 'steeping' in a plastic bag full of catnip to keep them irresistible. You might also try giving each a few treats close together, it gives them 'happy' feelings and will make them feel good about being together.
This will take a while, but if you consistently let the cat know this will not be tolerated, he will learn. You have to do it every time. I would keep them separated if you are gone so nothing bad happens until you are confident they get along. If the cat is young, they definitely mellow out with age too. This will resolve itself, it just takes time.....